Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

Okay, so last week I overheated my engine and it needs a rebuild as it doesn't have compression. The even worse news is I don't own a garage or a driveway to work on it, and all the mechanics in Seattle are booked out at least 2 months for engine rebuilds.

So I bought an engine (type iv 1800cc with a 009 and a progressive weber compression is 1: 160 2: 155 3: 160 4: 170) from Small Car performance today that came out of a 74 bus with automatic transmission. And the plan is to swap it into my 74 bus that has a manual transmission.

What all needs to change to make this work?

I heard I need to swap out the bottom studs (of the 4 bolts) of the engine block in order to make sure it fits the transmission, as the manual studs are longer.

Anything else to watch out for?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

I have learned the original 1700 engines had two different camshafts; one had two rings cast in it and a painted stripe. This is for the automatic application and Bentley illustrates this. Also, the engine code is either a CB or CD depending on whether it was auto or manual... Bentley also notes this. I have one of each.

I do not know if this carried over to the 1800 engines.

Regardless, although I am uncertain how important the cam profile is between the two, neither was ever meant for an engine with an 009 distributor or signal carb. The automatics were built with 205 S distributors meant for PDSIT dual carburetor set ups. Not sure what the manual trans had.

If yours comes with its flex/drive plate, it is something that can be hard to
find at times, so it may have some decent resale value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

Hi. Well you, or someone, will need to check and possibly reset the endplay for the flywheel you will need to install. The needle (pilot) bearing is easily serviceable or replaceable.
I would check existing endplay. Remove flexplate. Decide if you want to replace flywheel seal. Will probably have to if you end up changing the shim pack. There is also an o-ring in the flywheel and you will need the 5 hole crushable gasket/shim when torqueing down flywheel. Inspect the pressed in plug for the main oil gallery.
Verify the flaps are present under the cyl tins. Check spark plug threads. Inspect alternator wiring harness and alt belt.
I'm sure there's more to check like the oil cooler seals and the oil strainer plate for any issue that gave this area a bad rap.
Hope this helps.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

ryyanking wrote:

Those sky-high compression numbers . . .
Colin
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I have learned the original 1700 engines had two different camshafts; one had two rings cast in it and a painted stripe. This is for the automatic application and Bentley illustrates this. Also, the engine code is either a CB or CD depending on whether it was auto or manual... Bentley also notes this. I have one of each.

I do not know if this carried over to the 1800 engines.

Regardless, although I am uncertain how important the cam profile is between the two, neither was ever meant for an engine with an 009 distributor or signal carb. The automatics were built with 205 S distributors meant for PDSIT dual carburetor set ups. Not sure what the manual trans had.

If yours comes with its flex/drive plate, it is something that can be hard to
find at times, so it may have some decent resale value.

Yes, not planning on keeping this carb/dizzy combo for long. Just long enough to save up for dual webers and a svda. If the 1800's did have two cams... how bad would it be to use it? Have people had problems running a 1700 automatic cam with a manual transmission?

Unfortunately no flex/drive plate
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
ryyanking wrote:

Colin

They are... can compression get too high? Are there problems associated with that? I've only ever had compression numbers that were too low.

Anywhoo, I got the engine in. Starts and runs, but is making a squealing noise. First guess was alternator bearings or fan belt, but it sounds like its coming form the drivers side. Could it be the throwout bearing or clutch? I've engaged and disengaged the clutch and the squealing remains exactly the same.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

ryyanking wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
ryyanking wrote:

Colin

They are... can compression get too high? Are there problems associated with that? I've only ever had compression numbers that were too low.

Anywhoo, I got the engine in. Starts and runs, but is making a squealing noise. First guess was alternator bearings or fan belt, but it sounds like its coming form the drivers side. Could it be the throwout bearing or clutch? I've engaged and disengaged the clutch and the squealing remains exactly the same.

Remove belt. Start engine. Advise.
Colin
[lubricate distributor under rotor and make sure points (if you have them) have grease on rubbing block/breaker cam]
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

Okay, finally got back around to messing with the engine (3 jobs don't allow a lot of wrenching time)

Here's a video of the sound with the fan belt on:

Link

Here's a video of the sound with the fan belt off:

Link

Here's a video of the sound with the fan belt back on...but I turned the engine off so you can hear how the noise changes as the engine stops.

Link

Whats it sound like and/or whats the next test?
Thanks guys. [/youtube]
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions swap'n Engine from an Automatic into a bus with Manual Reply with quote

Hey Ryan, We chatted via text earlier this morning.. forgot my computer at work doesn't have sound (to prevent youtube watching i guess). Maybe I could swing by sometime and take a look with you and see or hear it. I'm going to the Oregon coast thru thurs...

dug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: