Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

Here you go ,Zen.

The problem with the termination of the green shielded OXS conductor as it comes from the factory is that the shielding is trimmed flush with the outer jacket and the raw edges of the copper shielding, backed up by the stiff (polyethylene?) insulation of the outer jacket can wear through the insulation of the inner conductor and, the shielding being grounded, take the OXS output to ground. When that happens, the fuel mixture richens to the max and the van runs like a pig.

This is how I improved this termination the first time I had one queef out on me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Free up as much of the conductor from the loom as reasonably possible, pull back the boot and cut the end CLEANLY. Don’t mash the end with a pair of dykes or sidehacks. Use a sharp bypass wire cutter. If you don’t have one, a utility knife with a fresh (SHARP) blade will work. Make life easy on yourself and cut the conductor cleanly.

Unless you’re a very practiced hand, only SCORE the outer jacket at the point you want to remove it. DO NOT nick the shielding stands, they’ll end up breaking of at the nick. Flex the score line and the outer jacket will separate and you can pull off the end of the jacket.

Fan out the strands around the wire, then comb them back over the outer jacket. I stripped off much more of the outer jacket than is necessary for the sake of clarity. Although it doesn’t hurt, this is more sheilding than you’ll need – about 1/4 - 3/8” is plenty.

Cover the shielding strands with some shrink tubing.

Crimp on the spade connector. Try to use the right sized connector for this gauge of wire and DON’T FORGET to slip on a piece of shrink tubing BEFORE you attach the connector.

Shrink the covering.

If you’re as anal as I am, cover it all with another piece of shrink tubing. Slide the boot over all your pretty work - you might have to lubricate (saliva) the conductor so that the boot can be pulled over the additional bulk of the shrink tubing – and you’re done.
Note: I did this example on the bench using a spare wiring loom. Be forewarned, it’s a little tougher to do in place on the van, but I’ve managed to pull it off more than once.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyKlaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

Nice write up! Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zentaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

Thanks for the writeup Richie!
This looks fairly simple, I think even I could do it! Man that shrink tubing looks awesome, I need to get me some of that. In the mean time, does electric tape work as a poor-man's replacement? Also I got some dielectric grease, would that work for lubrication or should it be avoided in this case?

Edit: I pulled the rubber boot back and it seems to me that my shielding was terminated early possibly by a P.O. is that what it looks like in this picture?
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

Zentaka wrote:
. . . I pulled the rubber boot back and it seems to me that my shielding was terminated early possibly by a P.O. is that what it looks like . . .

Z - That looks like the factory termination. It might be a solid connection, it might be ready to queef out. Hard to say from this distance.

One thing I've found in old car wiring is that the conductor can look intact, yet under its unbroken insulation, the conductor has broken - especially near the connector.

Since it is in hand already, I would cut it off and redo the termination just to be certain that the wiring is solid and durable.

Re: the dielectric grease. I've only had experience with dielectric (silicone?) grease in prefabricated medium voltage (13 -22 KV) terminations and auto ignition wires. To stave off corrosion in a connection, I use an electrical connection grease (No-Ox, for one). It is messy, but it works effectively.

Taping might work as long as you can pull the boot over it. I've found out the hard way that it important to end up with a WATERPROOF connection for the OXS signal wire.

Richie (near The Burgh)

PS - Z: I just noticed that you are in Hawaii. Small world, my first Syncro came from there and boy was it ever clean.
Zentaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

I assumed that since the wire was smaller at the very end that it had been terminated by a P.O. but you're right, it looks like factory work. I had assumed the fat part of the wire came out all the way to the end on the factory connection.

In other news my OXS light came on, so we'll see if this fixes it! Anyway it's still running 1,000 times better than it was before that replacement.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Zen
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

Zentaka wrote:
In other news my OXS light came on, so we'll see if this fixes it!

Unfortunately the OXS light is mileage based. There's no way for the ECU or the instrument cluster to know if the O2 sensor is in good working order, nor how long it's been installed for.. so the OXS light is wired to a counter that ticks over based on distance travelled.

From the Essentials thread: Electrical System -- OXS Light Reset
Zentaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

ohhorob wrote:
Zentaka wrote:
In other news my OXS light came on, so we'll see if this fixes it!

Unfortunately the OXS light is mileage based. There's no way for the ECU or the instrument cluster to know if the O2 sensor is in good working order, nor how long it's been installed for.. so the OXS light is wired to a counter that ticks over based on distance travelled.

From the Essentials thread: Electrical System -- OXS Light Reset

Ahh okay that's a bit of a relief then, because fixing the terminations didn't turn off the OXS light. How strange that it decided to turn itself on right after I replaced the OXS. Correlation v. Causation, so much fun with these Vanagons!

Anyway I'll get that OXS reset, thanks for the link!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

A most EXCELLENT how to!!
Thanks

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

great great great post. sticky this one. Smile
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

Good stuff! Thanks!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: How I Terminate the Green OXS Conductor Reply with quote

minsk wrote:
great great great post. sticky this one. Smile

Done! Now in the FAQ's fuel section.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: