Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

I would greatly appreciate your kind advice on a fair asking price for this unique Westy that I need to sell for financial reasons. I really like this set up, but I can't gauge it's appeal (or lack of it) objectively. I put too much time in it since I got ti 4.5 years ago to see it with fresh eyes. I don't want to get called out for "not enough info", so excuse all the info if it's too much. Here are a lot of words, then pics:

Power train, mileage, and carb:
Ford Cologne 2.8L V6 engine via a Kennedy engineering engine adapter. Installed 3 owners ago in the late '90's via a mechanic in Missoula MT. Engine from a '79 Capri. Very uncomplicated engine conversion setup, as there is no computer or any sensors to deal with. Solid, smooth and reliable runner. WILL NOT PASS SMOG! EGR disconnected with no catalytic converter. I do not know how or if this could be remedied. Engine rebuilt in 2009 by reputable shop in Bozeman, MT and sold to previous owner (PO) shortly thereafter. Around 2010 the crappy stock phenolic core timing gear failed for the PO, which was replaced with reliable solid metal one by a shop in Bozeman, MT. Compression on all cylinders was just checked and all are very good. It sat all winter in my garage, so I just tuned it up: new plugs and wires, timing, fuel mixture, valve clearance (has solid lifters), new oil, and cleaning. It's dialed in and runs nicely.

I have no info on the manual transmission other than my experiences. It shifts a little sloppily, but reliably. Has always made a 'whirring' noise (like an old school bus) in 2nd gear, but never gave me a problem. I replaced the tranny fluid with good synthetic gear oil last year.

Mileage is 129k on the odometer but is not accurate. Speedo cable broke for the last owner. I fixed it. Odometer stopped working for me a year and a 1/2 ago, but speedo is good.

Carb was professionally restored to show condition by http://www.vintagemusclecarparts.com/ last year. Looks and works wonderfully.

Cooling and fuel systems:
I replaced all the coolant and exterior heater hoses, radiator, couplings, and thermostat. The stock metal coolant pipes are in amazing shape. Glad I don't have plastic ones. I dropped the gas tank, sealed it with GoWesty's seal kit, installed a new sender unit, painted it with bedliner, and replaced the fuel lines, filters, and clamps.

Electrical and starting:
All new ground wires and surfaces. A ground was added at the starter and from the intrument cluster. I used westyventure's adapter plate to install a high torque starter from a TDI Jetta and installed Dave Barton's adjustable voltage regulator. New alternator belt (the ONLY belt needed ) and ignition module (spare for each included). Battery is relatively new, and get recharged often.

Tires and suspension:
14" stock alloy rims with Discover tires (lots or tread left). New upper ball joints. Mechanically sound, but the bushings in the suspension/steering will need to be replaced.

Exterior:
Repainted originally color in 2009 using one-stage spray with window seals in. Not the best job, but still looks nice at 20 ft. I did all kinds of stuff, most notably, I repainted the poptop using Interlux primer (3 coats) and paint (2 coats), replaced all the hardware with stainless, and re-sealed the poptop. New skylight. Poptop looks awesome. New hookup boxes and mirrors with stainless hardware. Refinished custom rear bumper and front grills. Three cross bars on top. and a custom bike carrier on the rear hatch that carries 3 bikes max. Propane tank was stripped to bare metal and repainterd New regulator and shut-off valve. Rust is coming through the seam at the rear passenger wheel well, and there is rust along the seam below the kitchen on the outside. I've been behind the kitchen twice, and never saw rust on the inside.

Interior: New Bus Depot canvas. New galley floor using heavy duty material with aluminum flashing. Refurbished (popcorned) panels and headliners using premium color-matched mold/mildew resistant paint. Lots of new stainless hardware all about, and a custom cooling fan setup for the stock Dometic fridge. Refinished stove front plate (rustoleum, not powder coat). Custom upper bed extension. Rear heater is gone. Front heater works great. Currently replacing heater cables and refurbing as needed beneath the dash with it removed.

and pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old floor in this pic:

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Ryan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

A very unique vehicle that needs a unique buyer who lives in an area without emission testing.

You have a very small market.
Add to that the sleeping area mods with the huge engine cover which can turn people off (like myself), some seam rust as well.

I think you need to figure out the $$'s you need out of it and increase it to allow bickering room.

It is a major plus that you've worked the bugs out and aren't selling a mostly done modification that isn't quite right.

There is, as they say, a lid for every pot. Be patient, it will sell.

I know that you are seeking pricing advice here and I'll let it slide but some of the "super" mods who pass through will probably struggle with the "ad-ness" of the question which violates the forum rules. I totally get the pricing delemnia with this unique unit that you face here.

I will advise you to take out a classified ad ASAP once you land on a price.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

I've enjoyed your posts about this van and like how you've worked with the Ford. Here's hoping this sale is helpful with the financial issues.

Given the reduced market (a buyer has to live where they don't test emissions) odd engine and modified bed, I'll suggest a minimum 20% discount compared to similar 84 Westys. This is a nice camper that will be a good deal for someone who really wants a Westy and can enjoy the compromises made in fitting the v-6. For a person who wants to do an engine conversion the Ford may be a better interim solution than a worn wbx so that can be some upside in finding a buyer.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

Ryan, sorry you have to sell the van. There is an arse for every seat, but yours is an odd bird. I would price it here based on what others are asking. If you really need to sell it, eBay with no reserve. Good exposure and you might find two people that really want it and willing to look past the unconventional engine conversion. Good luck
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

$10,000
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

6-8k.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

I hope everything worked out for the OP. He hasn't visited since May so I wonder if we'll find out if he got a decent price or if his issues resolved and he still owns it. That'd be nice to hear.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fair asking price for Ford 2.8 V6 '84 Westy? Reply with quote

I love that rear bike rack- puts the wind traps behind the breadbox of the van and within reach. I would do that if I had the nerve to put holes in the sheetmetal. My fallback is to dream of the day I can afford the RMW bumpers with the built in hitch for a rack....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: