Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

can somebody remind me how to remove the remove the battery?

the base for the seat swivel seems to block access

I don't need to remove the entire seat and then unbolt the #$%^&*() base do I?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Just swivel the seat 180 degrees and then slide towards the front of van.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Oh BOY!!!
Zentaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Must be some gooood recreational up there in Orygun Very Happy

Seriously though how awesome that you've had so little trouble with your van that you were able to forget that! Seems like I'm in and out of my battery compartment all the time -.-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

A previous owner bent the shit out of my battery box sheet metal. Looks like he/she used plyers to straighten and then rebend the rear lip. The carpet didn't escape the destruction either. Way to be patient Meriam even when you knew we'd razz you for it.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

1st time I've had to remove the battery

I apoloogize for asking such a simple question, despite the extremely counter-intuitive nature of the operation

maybe it will help someone else with brain & spinal cord damage
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Zentaka wrote:
Seriously though how awesome that you've had so little trouble with your van

I was thinking the same, that's some great luck.

But there are lots of new Westy owners who DON'T know that.
They may have read some other simple questions and see the member get a beating (thus afraid to post).

The question is out in the open now, with a definitive answer on the FIRST post. Exclamation
I think theSamba has attained a new "lightness of being", which is good. Hopefully not just going all fluffy. But it's good for attracting new members to have these basic questions answered with kindness and civility.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

I've had so little trouble with my van because I was careful as to which one I bought, with a PPI; researched what needed to be done as short-term and long-term maintenance, and then did it (mostly while just 50 some odd yrs old and in good health). Lately, I've had to pay a mechanic to do some things (coolant pipes) but luckily there are several shops here.

anyway back from PT and will have another try at pulling the battery up out of the tight little box with a lip that some injuneer designed for it...
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Don't put a battery in without a nylon strap underneath it. Lifting a strap from the top will save your knuckles and makes battery install / removal so much easier.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Different batteries have different handles. You might be missing the plastic bit that can be inserted.
Post a pic of the top of your battery.
Many cars do not need the handle removed for installation. One of your other vehicles might have the handle still on it and you can swap it over.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

Honestly I'm finding that my memory of how I did a given task say only three years ago has dimmed.

Good thing that I take so darn many pictures and post "how to's!" 😂

Kudo's for honesty!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

new battery did not come with handle - I'll fab one out of nylon strapping
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

How about on the old battery?

Two pair of vise grips clamped onto the terminals allows you to lift it out without drawing blood!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
Don't put a battery in without a nylon strap underneath it. Lifting a strap from the top will save your knuckles and makes battery install / removal so much easier.

I learned that one recently, the hard way, five years after I installed the starter batt. when we bought the van. Had to use a damned crowbar to pull up on the lip of the battery, with someone else jacking it up from the vent hole with a long screwdriver. Was a real sonofabitch to get out.

There's a strap in there now...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

I use a strap made to clamp on the battery terminals

more tips: BOTH 10 mm and 13 mm wrenches are needed to remove the terminal cables (!)

additionally, a 13 mm socket was needed for the battery hold down clamp

and a hammer and drift to beat the damn hold down back into the area in front of the battery

the cables need to be moved to the corners of the box as the battery will not clear them due to the idiotic lips on the box

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

While I realize the idiots that "designed" this are dead, I do hope the prosecutors beat the eff out VWAG just as general karma
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Two pair of vise grips clamped onto the terminals allows you to lift it out without drawing blood!

Dave

That's how I do it.

My dad had a strap that attached to the battery posts but I haven't seen one of those in years. I'll bet his is 60 years old now.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

My last battery did not come with a handle so I did this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

I once used a couple spare terminal clamps on the posts and tied a rope between them. Worked fine. I now have a strap underneath.
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

I recently replaced mine and got stuck at the step of pulling out the old one due to the seat - figured there must be a trick and so searched the trusty Samba and found the info to turn the seat - the funny thing was that I had turned it 90 degrees with no luck. I find it amusing that VW designed the seat base such that it is only the front side of the seat that is the short dimension, thus requiring 180 degree rotation. It sort of makes sense but is certainly not easy to guess. I just chuckled thinking it was one more idiosyncratic thing about the van -
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do I remove the starting battery on a Westy? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

That's how I do it.

My dad had a strap that attached to the battery posts but I haven't seen one of those in years. I'll bet his is 60 years old now.

Ive got one of these. Maybe Ill list it in the classifieds for $500 - rare OG battery lifter. Im sure I can melt "Made in West Germany" into the plastic

(Can you really not get these any more....liability?)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: