Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

So, here we go. I first saw this thing 30 plus years ago. It was apparently last driven 1961, but sat outside in IOWA all that time.
About 1995, the guy called and offered to sell it to me. Maybe GIVE it, but I was overwhelmed that day and my friend got it.
About 1998, I bought it from him, but had a grumpy wife and no place to store, so it went out to my friend Kevin's farm and into a lean to. We fixed the roof, just to make sure it would stay dry.
Another 16 years has passed. I'm now divorced retire and broke. The truck is much worse. but it is what it is, and:
1. I'M ALIVE AND APPARENTLY HEALTHY
2. I HAVE TIME AND PLACE AND MONEY, SORT OF
3. MAYBE I'M SMARTER NOW.
SO, HERE GOES

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2003, a year after it went into the lean to

July 13, 2017

July 13, 2017

July 13, 2017 Now we see how it got moved to the back of the building. NOT easily.

July 13, 2017

Above is the rear bumper, first time I saw it. Look close, see the two holes?
Also, two pedal pans, and the original enterior cards.

Her it is in my shop rack, kinda a bit straighter, still orig paint!

engine lid before

Engine lid AFTER some repair, I made some mistakes on PDR (dent removal)

Herw's one of my challenges. Gonna buy just the outer corners of the floor, weld them in. Also, notice the ORIGINAL DOOR GASKET is STILL in place, 62 years later. (Not the desert!)

Here's my Treasure chest door. I used polish compound and a buffer at school.

Last pic today is where the dealer's logo was originally visible. Some small dealer in Ames, Iowa.
the car has only 30,000 miles. Long run with a 36, tho!
So, soliciting ideas.
My plan is:
foul air 40 hp. I have one and new muffler. Better motor than 36, original missing anyway. Might even bump the 40hp a bit.
All new brake parts including hard lines and German cylinders. and Dual Master cylinder.
Whose kit for steel line, For dual master?
Locksmith, make key and locks match.
New window rubber. New front glass. Where from? Not sure I care about logos on the front glass.
The seat is rusty damaged. I think I can weld patches. I think I will stitch up my own FABRIC coverings. The Westy Plaid would be good.
New door cards from Clara.
Bulbs , maybe LED. 6 volt.
GTO: Gas, tire oil. Prolly 195 Rangers.
How long should this take?
Enjoy.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Awesome truck Al! Look forward to this. Very complete.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Whose kit for steel line, For dual master?

Nice truck. I did the hard lines on my '56 (Hanover) truck in the first year I got it. I'd recommend Cunifer lines (cupronickel) rather than steel.

They're not the cheapest option but they're much easier to work and more forgiving than steel and they don't rust.

I bought a kit direct from CSP in Germany, but there are lots of vendors for the stuff and you could make your own if you've got access to decent a flaring tool.

Don't confuse them with softer copper lines though, get Cunifer.

FWW, the lines linking the duplex slave cylinders inside the front drums were a bastard to do.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Nice original truck. A CLR bath and some TR3 would do wonders
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Im still amazed the juxtaposition of 'split' and 'low dollar' didn't crash the Samba servers due to implausiblity...
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Nice original truck. A CLR bath and some TR3 would do wonders

Okay, you got me. I know CLR. I used it on the engine lid. But what is TR3?
I'm a little dismayed that the color varies so much from panel to panel. I really want it more blue. NOT SHINY, restored, blue mind you. My paint mixing lady says: "you can't put fade in a can."
One previous owner rattle canned the top with white because he was worried the rust would go thru.
Yes. amazingly original, but for the engine and rims. Back when I first saw it behind a farm house, I felt it must have had tilt bows, because the bolts were missing from the holes in the box front. I had a 69 doka, and that had bolts there simply blocking the holes. I looked around the yard a bit, but not very adventurous in someone's back yard without permission. I'd left notes and the guy called me about 5 years later. What was I thinking. He wanted to GIVE IT TO ME. I guess now he may have been terminally ill.
Thinking back now, I looked at it in about 1983-85, because I wanted one to use for my electric business. I bought the 69 double cab instead, because it was more modern. (got a call one day the double cab was $700. 200 miles away. I was there that night with a tow bar. Almost exactly 30 years ago this month.)
Al

this group of photos taken about 2 years ago, January2, 2015
Vanagons:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

TR3 is the preferred soft cleaner / polisher for original paint enthusiasts

it's awesome

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Awesome, congratulations. Keep the pics coming
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Original front and rear bumpers, tail lights and reflectors...very nice.
I would consider 36hp and original black seat cover but it's your show.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

i say put the 40 horse in you have, drive it for a while, if you find out it is too fast for you, you can always start looking for a 36 horse Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Sweet! Another early truck being saved!

Subscribed!

Russell
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

NICE! I'd be proud to have that early truck. Looking forward to watching your progress
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
i say put the 40 horse in you have, drive it for a while, if you find out it is too fast for you, you can always start looking for a 36 horse Smile

Haha. If I stumble upon a correct vintage 36 crankcase, I'll buy it. I need a case stamped 20-125xxxx or 124xxxx. I might even use a 1- (bug) case.
Funny thing, I also have a 60hp 1956 Porsche 1600N that is almost the exact same date as the chassis. I've had it for 45 years, just sitting around. I suppose the first casualty would be the gearbox. Second might be my rib cage. The 1956 type 2 didn't have very big brakes.
Was it Clara's signature: "I can't drive 55?"
But yes, I'll start out with the 40 hp
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

More work today Saturday, July 15, 2017
First since this might be a several page anthology, I think I'll introduce a few characters:
Dick Miller: the many year (2nd or 3rd) owner from 1961 or later till about 1995. Left it behind a farm house about 10 miles form here. He called me and offer to give it to me. I was too busy to talk. Oops. I think he may have been a plumber.
Frank: Frank ended up with it soon after a year later when #4 guy died. Frank is an interesting guy. Fixes cars in the dirt barefooted. Kind of an old friend and actually worked for me as electrician's helper once. Begged me to buy ithe 56 single cab in 1997. He needed the money.
Kevin Lichty: Kevin is my friend for 40 years. He has a German car repair shop at his residence, the family farm. Kevin is unquestioned best German car mechanic in this part of the state. He is also secure enough that he can choose what he wants to work on. Many years ago I helped him in his shop for a while. A few times we have puzzled over challenging cases together. He has let me keep several cars in outbuildings no longer needed to house animals (heifers, actually). And I am grateful.
The 3 helpers in these pictures. Mark and Billy and my brother Kent, who we only get to see his legs! These 3 also worked for me many years.
Saturday was my birthday. I took the 3 to a nice supper, then went to work on my blue baby. they decided there was nothing they would rather do on a Saturday nite than spread acid on an old car. This is the quality of my friends!

Mark and Billy.

Before pic of the white paint on the top.

After pic of the removal process of the white paint
somewhere about 1996 Frank, owner 5 decided the rust might consume the truck. so he sprayed rattle can white on the rustiest places, roof, mostly and inside the gates. Also, another thing Frank did was to fill MOST of the rivet holes in the bed, with caulk. These holes being open will allow rain water to past down into the inner structure and cargo floor of a pickup. I think this was a VERY good idea. The white paint, not so much. but it's there. I have to take it off. One of the products I tried and worked the best for the paint removal was "acrylic lacquer thinner retarder". this is added to sprayed lacquer in the summer to keep the paint from drying too quickly, which may cause blushing or too dry a surface.

Here's two pics of the speedo. Note the dealer's tag: Red Dale Auto, Rambler sales service Dial CD2-4742 Ames, Iowa.
Also note the REDLINE- 48mph.

Last here is the VIN stamping. What does it say? 20-xxxxxx
Al
Vanagons:
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Nice save for another day. You must have lots of patience my friend.

Great friend to store it away for you.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
Nice save for another day. You must have lots of patience my friend.

Great friend to store it away for you.

He stored several. We DID get up there and fix the roof when we put the single cab into the shed. Shoulda fixed it again about 3 years ago.
Patience? And hope...
But there have been a few nice surprises with this. The RAMBLER dealer sticker! Keep in mind, the first VW dealer in our city only came in 1958. I wish I had asked old timers more questions years ago. That 1952 single cab that Jeff Walters restored so many years ago in Hot VW's was only about 300 miles north of here. How does this happen?
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

While there remains much more prep work, it is necessary that I soon order some parts in order that they get here when I need them:
1. Steel Brake lines. Yeah sure the cunifer ones are great. These lasted at least 30 years. I go for the cheaper ones, IF I can get some pre bent and right length. Yes, I have the tools. Yes I have used the tools making new hard lines for 40 years. WHO SELLS good brake line sets? Otherwise I just buy about 20 new metric line nuts. Already have a 50 ft roll of 3/16 brake line. (Who sells the right line nuts?)
2. Dual master cylinder. How to do it? Kit? Whose works the best?
3. Floor patches, left and right side. Are there any cheap ass patches out there? Gerson makes lovely stuff. Seems a shame to pay $100 and snip off most of a nice funky panel and put it into the scrap. I won't replace good original that doesn't need replacing. who would do that? I can never do as good a job as the factory. And yes, I have a real spot welder. So, I only need about an 8" by 8" triangle on each side.
3. Rubber. Especially for the windshields and door rubber. Where to buy?
I guess I never mentioned, but one of the first things I did was to free up the hinges. Yes, I used a propane torch on several of the side gate ones that didn't move, got them to move slightly, then flooded with WD-40 and cycle repeatedly (like 100 times, maybe. I'm old. Exercise it good.) The left gat bottom rail in nearly falling apart. I thought we were gonna lose it, but now it is still functioning. Yes, someday, I put in new bottom rails in all 3 gates. Not this month's battle! Actually, I did this first time about 2006 when it was in storage. I think that's the only reason they still freed up so easily now. My feeling is on hinges and such that are exposed to the elements, the best long term lube is CHAIN LUBE. Made to stay put in rain and keep stuff lubed.
More pics:

left side gate with some CLR cleaning

Right side showing white paint mostly off the front half of right gate. also note rear of roof cleaned up.

A little cleaner on the left front bumper.
Vanagons:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Don't know if it's still true but Ronnie at Bustoration had the best rubber combinations. He had the best of all worlds windows/doors together or separate.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan, she looks great, keep up the good work, and someday she will be mine Wink

As for seals I can't agree more, BarryL is 100% correct. Ronnie has the best seals from Germany. I bought others from WW and they are impossible to install so put that box of seals away for someone with muscle's and bought my new seals from Ronnie. Our grandma's can install them they are that easy, and the best part is you don't have to put that black sealant on the metal because these seals keep water out all by themselves.

Give Ronnie a call to be sure these are the correct one's unless BarryL can confirm as they sell the good German ones and the others that I don't like.
Left
http://www.bustoration.com/Window-Seal-Front-German-1955--1967-LEFT-B38_p_948.html
Right
http://www.bustoration.com/Window-Seal-Front-German-1955--1967-RIGHT_p_2155.html

A little more expensive hence the saying "buy once cry once".

BarryL wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Don't know if it's still true but Ronnie at Bustoration had the best rubber combinations. He had the best of all worlds windows/doors together or separate.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Alan, she looks great, keep up the good work, and someday she will be mine Wink

As for seals I can't agree more, BarryL is 100% correct. Ronnie has the best seals from Germany.
http://www.bustoration.com/Window-Seal-Front-German-1955--1967-LEFT-B38_p_948.html
Right
http://www.bustoration.com/Window-Seal-Front-German-1955--1967-RIGHT_p_2155.html

A little more expensive hence the saying "buy once cry once".
BarryL wrote:

Good to know. I should have probably thought of Ronnie F. myself. He used to contribute to the Vintage Bus list and also drove a splittie all over the west hauling his wares to events. Walked the walk. I met him once at Jerome. Katrina year, 2005? A long time ago.
Thanks, L A!
BTW, SHE? You are deciding the gender of this rustybaby? Das Auto, is neuter, auf Deutsch.
Al
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: