Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Not much time today for words, but after starting another thread regarding VIN stampings, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8701655#8701655
I went over and rubbed mine with some Lime Out and 00 steel wool for a while.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Many more pictures on my gallery, btw.)
Final verdict: 20-158689 Maybe 3rd week of December 1955? Christmas baby?

I cleaned up a bit more of the surface rust in the engine compartment and noticed something: There is white seam sealer, and then at the edge, DOVE BLUE seam sealer?

Not sure about this, either dove blue seam sealer, but probably LEAD FILLER.

did a little bumping and straightening of my very original ca. 1955 TRUCK bumper trays. Yes, they are bent to shit. The rear bumper was pretty mangled and the left bracket was torn asunder. BUT, WTF, they are there.!!

Latest Wolfsburg pickup original paint BUTT SHOT.
More, later,
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

I love this truck. Can't wait to see your progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Great story and great truck. Can't wait to see your progress.

1961 Standard
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Not much time today for words, but after starting another thread regarding VIN stampings, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8701655#8701655
I went over and rubbed mine with some Lime Out and 00 steel wool for a while.
(Many more pictures on my gallery, btw.)
Final verdict: 20-158689 Maybe 3rd week of December 1955? Christmas baby?

did a little bumping and straightening of my very original ca. 1955 TRUCK bumper trays. Yes, they are bent to shit.

Latest Wolfsburg pickup original paint BUTT SHOT.

I might add, I always heat stuff to straighten. This black stuff on the splash pans appears to be like black asphalt roofing cement.
I heat with a remote hose trigger start propane torch. Quick one handed operation. let go, it shuts off. I can then drop it and concentrate on hammer and anvil / planishing to straighten and shrink the damage.
(Long term, I want to buy a trigger start torch that uses air-acetylene from a "B" tank. Acetylene has more heat than MAPP gas even. )
So, heating these pans up melted all the black stuff. And then scraped it off with a sharp wood shim to keep from damaging the paint that remained. There is actually blue overspray on the bumper brackets after removing the rust!
Damn! I wish the nose paint was that good.
I can kinda dig the patina, but I wish it had a little more blue on the driver's door and the nose.
(I might have to try to blend it after I fix the rust under the front bumper!)
Just been working on rear bumper brackets and a new (old) gas tank recently. Overwhelmed with other life stuff But hope to hit it reall hard pretty soon.
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Life still getting in the way, but I make a little progress!
Here's more pics:

This should be labeled BEFORE! Still trying to gently do PDR type repair leving as much original paint as possible
Vanagons:
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Hi Al,

Great story, nice score on this patina-monster! It'll be fun to watch your progress! Get that beast running and drive "it" down to BNNTA and camp in the bed! You've got six weeks or so, you can pull it off! You'd probably haul home the oldest Bus award...

Me, I'd probably hunt down a 36hp engine for that old baby, but that era-correct 356 engine would be VERY tempting to install and run. A 40 hp engine would be my 3rd choice, but a good one all the same. Have a ball with your buddies and that old SC and keep up the great progress and posts about it.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi Al,

Great story, nice score on this patina-monster! It'll be fun to watch your progress! Get that beast running and drive "it" down to BNNTA and camp in the bed! You've got six weeks or so, you can pull it off! You'd probably haul home the oldest Bus award...

Me, I'd probably hunt down a 36hp engine for that old baby, but that era-correct 356 engine would be VERY tempting to install and run. A 40 hp engine would be my 3rd choice, but a good one all the same. Have a ball with your buddies and that old SC and keep up the great progress and posts about it.

Bill Bowman

Is that still held at Mark Twain Lake near highway 61 in northern Missouri? I was there the first year, 2000 maybe. Several Buskatiers guys. Pretty strange, but we were talking to Rob Laffoon and mentioned my brother was from Omaha. Rob says: "I'm your mailman!" (At my brother's shop. He fixes Porsches and BMW's, so Rob already had noticed him.) Small world. Were you aboard clear back then?
It's 270 miles. Best chance would be if I tow-barred it down, slept in my Westy.
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

I removed one of the rear shocks to see how it was and also try to get specs to replace it.
Although it sat outside under the SC in an Iowa farm yard for about 60 years, and has some rust, there is STILL some original grey paint and the number stampings are still legible.
I had difficulty getting a good photo and will try better photo later, but right now, I wanted to try to find out more. It still seems to dampen and does not leak.
Can I buy bushings for it?
What about a paint color match? I might just use the grey commercial hup cap color.
ARE SOME OF THESE NUMBERS DATE CODE?

Fitchel & Sachs AG
s26 x130 (my guess this is the bore size and stroke)
1700 Z20 (is this date code or F&S number?)
(VW) 211 513 031A
Made in Western Germany

Here's my stale air 4o hp getting dressed up
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Here's a little housekeeping:
This is the pile of stuff I found on the floor of my single cab when I got it. All of it was getting wet, so is badly damaged.
I might need help identifying some parts. What I CAN identify:
Lug bolts are NOT to this vehicle, rather a big ole Buick, perhaps.
The shouldered Hex socket bolt, I think from another vehicle, (maybe seat belt anchor)
Square plates, broken round heat, carriage bolts, 8mm: attaching hardware from removed rear bumper.
10 mm nuts: engine to trans attachment
8 mm broken off long bolt: possible remains of one of 4 for rear apron?
Oval head screws and alum washers: door and interior card attachment
The chunk in the upper left corner is broken part of a door handle
Puzzled about:
1. the short 8 mm bolts,
2. the single small sheet metal screw with cheese head nearly rusted away
3. 8mm and 6 mm washers
4. anything else you know. (I probably do NOT know. This Wolfsburg truck is way earlier than anything else I worked on.)
TIA,
Al

Vanagons:
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Can you point out which one you mean by that? It sounds like the screw for fastening down the valance.

Last item on the left hand page below?...

They go through the two little holes at the front of the valance visible in this picture (front is front).

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Can you point out which one you mean by that? It sounds like the screw for fastening down the valance.

Last item on the left hand page below?...

They go through the two little holes at the front of the valance visible in this picture (front is front).

Oh sure. On the front inside, Used with the washer with the 5.3mm hole (x2).
Being quite the archaeologist here! Like sifting thru the dust at Pompeii.
Not at all sure why the Buick lug bolts. But it sat in a farm yard for 30 years. I looked at it twice at least in the 1980's. Probably other vehicles there then.
Any idea on the shorter 8mm bolts? Maybe transaxle brackets? It has partly installed transaxle, 2 sets of brake lines and hoses. (So that is probably why it stopped being driven. changed gearbox, never got finished, used the engine somewhere else.)
Al
Vanagons:
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Any idea on the shorter 8mm bolts? Maybe transaxle brackets?
Al

That could be a long list. I thought initially they might be the odd low-profile-head bearing cover bolts, but they're 10mm

If you've got the time, measure the length then search the searchable '58 parts list for "8x<length>" (don't add "mm" just the numbers)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1958buspartslist.php

That'll bring up all the places where those bolts were used, but I reckon it'll be a long, long list. I reckon they'd be pretty common.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

4. anything else you know. (I probably do NOT know. This Wolfsburg truck is way earlier than anything else I worked on.)

I like puzzels like this...

The big circular thing in the middle looks like a broken cab door escutcheon. The OACDP picture of that bit is lousy, but it's part 30 on page '8-37' (illustration 26) in the '58 parts manual... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1958buspartslist.php

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Thanks, especially for the searchable list.
I just figured out the M8x 20 bolts: clutch cover. two got lost. Makes sense- p[ull the motor, remove the cover to put in new disc. got bogged down and never finished.
The big round thing is a socket from the tool kit, used with tommy bar.
The last mystery, the big rubber plug. on the upper left first picture.
(already figured the long bolt was one of 4 for the rear valance. )
Vanagons:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Any detail photos of it? Diameter? mounting lip? Material?

Don't know if '56 Wolfsburgs had it but door hinge access holes have a cover. Also Single Cabs have a blanking cover in the dash pod hole where regular buses have a toggle for the rear dome light.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Any detail photos of it? Diameter? mounting lip? Material?

Don't know if '56 Wolfsburgs had it but door hinge access holes have a cover. Also Single Cabs have a blanking cover in the dash pod hole where regular buses have a toggle for the rear dome light.

Could fit the hole in the floor to access the drag link grease fitting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

The grey round thing in the upper left and u pper right corne of the pictures.
1-1/8 OD; 7/8" hole size? so... 28mm od; 22mm hole?
Al
Vanagons:
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Any idea what engine was in it last? If it was a later fresh air engine, I'd guess that round thing was the blanking plug from front tin.

Part 61?...

Unfortunately the description of that part is missing

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Any idea what engine was in it last? If it was a later fresh air engine, I'd guess that round thing was the blanking plug from front tin.

Part 61?...

Unfortunately the description of that part is missing

No, I think never a fresh air... last license plates were 1961 Fresh air was not invented yet. This thing still has a carbon TO bearing. Is that a good thing?
Al
Vanagons:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
This thing still has a carbon TO bearing. Is that a good thing?
Al

They work fine. Is yours worn down?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: