Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note all the road dust stuck inside the tail light. I guess, Welcome to Iowa Gravel Roads! 1956 version. Though I guess it could have been wind borne dust from later years.

Note the black tar stuff under the tail light edge. the same stuff drizzled on the bumper splash pans. Is this original VW application?
Or exclusive to Red Dale VW in Ames, IA, 1956?
Any idea how to clean these tail lights? Probably need to find LED's for them, too.
Sorry, originality gotta give way to safety in tail lights.
But I do intend to maybe make some clip on extra rear lights.

Well, I just cleaned them with wire wheel (on the steel exposed parts), steel wool and a toothbrush and Dawn and warm water.
Not sure I'm totally satisfied with the metal finish, I need to find some phosphoric acid to keep from rusting.
Last photo I just put a couple low powered LED personal lights behind it It looked so nice! Since it not sealed, I guess there is no way to KEEP it clean.

More soon!
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Cool Alan, keep this beauty going. How difficult was it to ad that LED?. I love it.
Did you ever get a birth certificate? I'm curious of her build month. Yup buses are girls LOL.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Cool Alan, keep this beauty going. How difficult was it to ad that LED?. I love it.
Did you ever get a birth certificate? I'm curious of her build month. Yup buses are girls LOL.
So sorry, the LED is just two actually of my normal personal headlights I use as an electrician. The are NOT in the bulb location rather behind (towards front of car) in order to light the whole area. NOT INSTALLED, just to show the lens is clean.
Safe lighting is a real concern, especially if one keeps it at 6 volt. I've often considered 8 volt. But starting quality batteries in 8 volt might have to be custom built. The Farm store 8 volts are deep cycle golf cart batteries actually.
If I drive this much I'll probably add some rear driving lights using 1967 bug backup lights housings. Porsche 911' in the 1970's had accessory REAR FOG lights.
WRT the pritsche's (no gender prounouns for this Deutschesprecher) birthdate? the middle of December 1955.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Al, are you saying all the 6 volt buses have lower light output? Being my bus is 12 volt I never observed a 6 volt. I hope you start driving your 56 this summer.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanadianVWboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
So sorry, the LED is just two actually of my normal personal headlights I use as an electrician. The are NOT in the bulb location rather behind (towards front of car) in order to light the whole area. NOT INSTALLED, just to show the lens is clean.
Safe lighting is a real concern, especially if one keeps it at 6 volt. I've often considered 8 volt. But starting quality batteries in 8 volt might have to be custom built. The Farm store 8 volts are deep cycle golf cart batteries actually.
If I drive this much I'll probably add some rear driving lights using 1967 bug backup lights housings. Porsche 911' in the 1970's had accessory REAR FOG lights.
WRT the pritsche's (no gender prounouns for this Deutschesprecher) birthdate? the middle of December 1955.

Hey Alan,
Great truck what manufacture month is this 56?
Bon
-69 Brasilia -63 ghia
-69 beetle
Current vws
-54 oval semaphore
-58 lowlight ghia
-60 15w deluxe bus
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Mid December 1955,
I certainly should get over to work on it soon.
Challenges (no certain order but how they come from my addled ADD brain):
1.Seat frame repair from laying in water for 40 years
1A. Seat spring and upholstery.
2.front driver's and passenger's floor repair. I bought the small end repair pieces and inten to not use them entirely. leaving as much as possible of the original.
3. roll over the truck and do some underside cleaning and probably a bit of welding.
3A. Paint the underside with grey epoxy primer which should look like the original.
I need to go finish some daily chores but gonna SUBMIT THIS. then edit and add more later.
Vanagons:
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 Wolfsburg single cab low key low dollar renew Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

Any idea how to clean these tail lights? Probably need to find LED's for them, too.
Sorry, originality gotta give way to safety in tail lights.
But I do intend to maybe make some clip on extra rear lights.

Well, I just cleaned them with wire wheel (on the steel exposed parts), steel wool and a toothbrush and Dawn and warm water.
Not sure I'm totally satisfied with the metal finish, I need to find some phosphoric acid to keep from rusting.
Last photo I just put a couple low powered LED personal lights behind it It looked so nice! Since it not sealed, I guess there is no way to KEEP it clean.

More soon!

I used sone kind of needles, scalpels and etc for that work, cou can also try some kind of resatauration tools like this:

https://www.amazon.de/DTI-Restaurationsstifte-Set-...&psc=1

for rust protection i would use some kind of (wood) oil like Owatrol.

good work on this one!

-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: