Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon TDI cooling question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking I have a cooling problem. I got the van all put back together, new head gasket, head resurfaced, and I'm seeing really high Temps with a cold rad. I drove around a bit today with my computer watching the temp and they got up to 93.9 C. The rad is cold, but I have heat. Drove for maybe 15-20 mins total.

When bleeding the air out of the system, I followed the procedure exactly, and I get coolant out of the bleeder. However, some strange stuff happens, like after I see coolant come out of the bleeder, drive for a bit, then stop and open it, I get nothing coming out.

When I look at my coolant tank, the flow seems weak. The water pump was replaced. Could I have blockage some where or do I still have a stubborn air pocket?any tips to get that out if so...

Could I have screwed up the gasket install and have a leak? There doesn't appear to be coolant in oil or vice versa... Sometimes I see air in the coolant tank (realllllllly tiny bubbles).

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Collin[/i]

2007 BMW R1200S More HP then 1.5 vanagons

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel

1998 VW Jetta TDi RiP, it was an organ donor though....
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tdi cooling question Reply with quote

Did you replace the thermostat?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tdi cooling question Reply with quote

Once upon a time, yes. I suppose it could be seized.... I had to run water through the van in an emergency once.

HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Tdi cooling question Reply with quote

To clarify, you are seeing high coolant temps in VCDS or some similar program that pulls data from the ECU via the OBD port?

As for bleeding, I have limited experience with the AHU, but for the most part the TDI engines seem to be essentially self-bleeding when it comes to purging air out of the cooling system. When I've had the cooling system open for some reason, I normally just top off the expansion tank and drive around long enough for the thermostat to open and then let the engine cool somewhat. On that initial warm up run, the temps will rise pretty fast once the thermostat opens--it will get up to 99 C easily. I generally circle the neighborhood when doing this so I can just pull into the driveway and shut down once temps start climbing.I will top off the coolant again after the engine has cooled, and that's normally all that is required.

So, I would suggest you try running the engine through a few heating and cooling cycles rather than messing around with manual bleeding. That is an easy and simple approach, and if you are careful to keep an eye on temperatures and coolant level, there is little risk of damage.

Also, I am no expert, but I think it would be unusual for the thermostat to be be stuck closed. Normally when they fail, it seems like they are stuck open.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

Did you keep track of the amount of coolant you used? I recall it takes about 3 gallons. For the thermostat to open, it is best if you have coolant on both sides of the thermostat. Personally I drill an 1/8 hole in the thermostat, so the coolant level equalizes. You can accomplish the same thing, by filling the engine block through the top cylinder head hose. This way you are sure to have enough coolant in the engine to heat up and cause the thermostat to open for the first time.
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

Gotcha, thanks Mark. I think I saw a post before when you advised someone else to do that and I already did haha. But I'll fil from the upper hose on the engine block and we'll see what happens.

What should the flow rate look like in the coolant bottle. Right now it seems weak...

TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

Also, I'm reading the coolant temp through vcds.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

With the thermostat open, the majority of the flow should be through the radiator, not the expansion tank. I recall the tank inlet hose should have a restrictor.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

How did you plumb it all? Original hoses?

A diagram of your set up might help, maybe you crossed hoses somewhere....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

The van has the vanagon diesel hose set

TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/eh6vlfPmy7Y

That vid shows my confusion over a hot and cold hose. Same length of hose, six inches apart.

https://youtu.be/H8BoMOUwNzQ

That one shows a bit off air coming out of the coolant up hose in the coolant tank.

I have bled the system and have coolant out of the rad bleeder. Tonight I let it idle up to about 68 C, was not getting heat

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

This thread is not of much help, but it mentions the restrictor I was talking about. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667894&highlight=diesel+cooling+hoses
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

If the system has been bled adequately then the bubbles in the expansion tank are a clear indication of combustion gases entering the coolant.

140°F isn't hot enough to open the thermostat. You will not get flow through the radiator until the thermostat opens. The thermostat will not even start to open until ~190°F.
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

As usual.... I think Andrew is right. I'm not getting any flow at all from the bleeder, or heat, and I'm seeing the coolant boil over. Do these systems plug up easily if run with water?

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

No it should not "plug up" with only water. I would disconnect both main hoses that run forward and connect a garden hose to either hose. Run water through one and it should flow easily back and out the other one.

You are missing something. It should not be this problematic to solve. Its a fairly straight forward system. The thermostat performs two functions. Cold it opens the coolant bypass to allow the engine to come to temperature quickly. The heater circuit is also plumbed into the bypass circuit. When the thermostat gets to operating temp, it opens to allow flow to the radiator and closes the bypass. Did you install the thermostat backwards? Did you mix up the main coolant pipes? It is easy to reverse them on an engine conversion.

I am running a stock thermostat in my ALH TDI. It takes many miles for the engine to come to temperature. To hit operating temp of 190F, it needs to be a hot day and I need to be pushing down the interstate at 70 mph. The TDI is a very heat efficient engine and the stock vanagon cooling system is more than adequate to keep up with the generated BTU's. My radiator fan comes on maybe 3 or 4 times on a cross country trip. Hang in there, you'll get it solved.
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

At the risk of feeling foolish...... Which side does the "spring" of the thermostat go? Into the plastic fitting.... Or into the water pump body....?

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

The pump body

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

TDI_VT wrote:
At the risk of feeling foolish...... Which side does the "spring" of the thermostat go? Into the plastic fitting.... Or into the water pump body....?

You cannot install it the wrong way, I think it is spring towards pump Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

I have uploaded a parts diagram so that you can ask specific questions using the coolant hose numbers. Then we might be able to better help you. mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI cooling question Reply with quote

TDI_VT wrote:
As usual.... I think Andrew is right. I'm not getting any flow at all from the bleeder, or heat, and I'm seeing the coolant boil over. Do these systems plug up easily if run with water?

Mixing coolant types can create a sludge that is problematic. VW would have called for G11 in the AHU, which is blue-green.

Your coolant appears pink, which is consistent with the newer G12 variants. It's been a while since I've looked at this, but I think that G12 is not backwards compatible with G11. You want to use the G12+ if you are adding to a system that contains G11.

I don't think it really matters whether you run G11 or G12, provided you don't mix them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: