Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type4 conversion exhaust
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

I have been plugging away at a type4 conversion for my 65 DC and have gotten to the part that I am expecting to be a real pain, the exhaust. I am sure there have been some splitty's with this done so maybe I can get some ideas. I have some 411 pipes and I am hoping that I can fit a stock 73-74 muffler without any apron modifications. Has anyone tried it and if it won't work were you able to install something that does not hang out the bottom or is much louder that stock?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Popcorn

I am so excited to see the outcome. I have been dredin the exhaust on my type 4 conversion. What did you do with the tranny?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

very interesting how things have changed in the last 20 years or so. back in the day type 4 upright conversions involved porsche 911 fans and such. The german tuners offered type 4 exhausts that looked like beetle exhausts, etc.

like so:

i like this a lot, i am going to keep watching.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

With stock 73, 74 heater boxes you can bolt a single exhaust muffler across the outlets and put on a turn out tube for a neat , installation.- will try and find my pics.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Zuggbug, the tranny I put together was from different year type 1 units with the stock big nut boxes. Used a 72 case with 73 "002" gearset which has the stronger mainshaft, splined coarse third and fourth gears from a bay bus trans., and 3.88 ring gear on a 70 Canadian bug swing diff. that my sister once had. This setup also gave me the later style throw out bearing setup.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

This is what I used in the Mid 1990's on a 66 Standard Bus, same engine bay as your Double Cab Pretty Much. I shortened the 411 heater boxes after cutting off the sheet metal and used this. I added a locally sourced round muffler and it looked nice, sounded nice, and fit nice. It was really cheap and easy. The hardest job is cleaning out the flanges you cut off the original 411 tubes and sliding then down and welding flat.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark-s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Vintage Speed exhaust and headers specifically for a type 4 motor in a split bus. I went this route as the fabrication would have taken more time than I had.

It looks like the outlet hangs really low but it actually sits in exactly the same position as the stock exhaust. Also has O2 sensor ports which have been useful when tuning with a wideband.

Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
This is what I used in the Mid 1990's on a 66 Standard Bus, same engine bay as your Double Cab Pretty Much. I shortened the 411 heater boxes after cutting off the sheet metal and used this. I added a locally sourced round muffler and it looked nice, sounded nice, and fit nice. It was really cheap and easy. The hardest job is cleaning out the flanges you cut off the original 411 tubes and sliding then down and welding flat.

Tony

I have this same setup and have been mocking it up to see if it fits. Looks to me like it is too deep without dropping it down, do you have an installed pic?
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
Zuggbug, the tranny I put together was from different year type 1 units with the stock big nut boxes. Used a 72 case with 73 "002" gearset which has the stronger mainshaft, splined coarse third and fourth gears from a bay bus trans., and 3.88 ring gear on a 70 Canadian bug swing diff. that my sister once had. This setup also gave me the later style throw out bearing setup.

Very impressive. I was hoping you did something out of the ordinary.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

mark-s wrote:
Vintage Speed exhaust and headers specifically for a type 4 motor in a split bus. I went this route as the fabrication would have taken more time than I had.

It looks like the outlet hangs really low but it actually sits in exactly the same position as the stock exhaust. Also has O2 sensor ports which have been useful when tuning with a wideband.

Why does their website say you have to modify the header on 3/4?
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

I don't have a close up handy, but you can see a full bumper and a stock uncut apron in this image.

1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
I don't have a close up handy, but you can see a full bumper and a stock uncut apron in this image.

looks like its covered well, might take another stab at that setup if a stock muffler won't fit.
mark-s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:

No further explanation about this is supplied, but having installed them, I did have to clearance the headers as they were touching the pushrod tubes in a couple of places.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Did you buy a specific kit to do the type 4 conversion? Or did you fab as you go.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

It looks like he is doing the classic Joe Cali conversion located here:

http://nextgen-usa.com/

He sells a manual that will guide you to create your own upright conversion using mostly VW OEM sheet metal slightly modified. I did one in the past and it was very nice, but in the final hours I purchased the Fat Performance unit and a 911 fan setup. I will say this one here is as nice as i have seen. His work on the tins looks great and this will be a sweet double cab. I want to hear more about the Transmission, his picture gallery shows some views but not all of them.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Yes, I did buy the manual from Joe to use as a guide. A lot of the detail work you just have to make up your self like the tin, combination of type 1 and type 4 tin to get the engine compartment sealed up. I ended up making the gen/alt stand from steel stock as the one I purchased form Jake Raby for the DTM system would not let me set the fan housing back far enough to center it between the cylinders. Also the stand in Joe's book is aluminum which I did not have the proper welder to fabricate it. After all of the mods I did to the Scat shroud I think it would have been easier to modify a stock one by trimming off the heater ducts like the Sharp shrouds.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

mark-s wrote:
zuggbug wrote:

No further explanation about this is supplied, but having installed them, I did have to clearance the headers as they were touching the pushrod tubes in a couple of places.

That is great news, may I ask how you clearanced the headers?
mark-s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

I just marked the headers where they touched the pushrod tubes, removed them and filed a bit away with one of these:

I just did a little at a time & kept refitting the header to test until I could get a feeler blade between the header and pushrod tube.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

mark-s wrote:
I just marked the headers where they touched the pushrod tubes, removed them and filed a bit away with one of these:

I just did a little at a time & kept refitting the header to test until I could get a feeler blade between the header and pushrod tube.

Ahhh. Thanks for the reply.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
tpinthepack wrote:

Tony

I have this same setup and have been mocking it up to see if it fits. Looks to me like it is too deep without dropping it down, do you have an installed pic?

I have a DTM conversion on mine but I shortened the 411 exhaust manifolds and used this same header. I kept it off the filter and pump without having to dimple the exhaust header. It fits behind my stock apron and bumper quite nicely.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: