Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type4 conversion exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Mile High Puma wrote:
tpinthepack wrote:
This is what I used in the Mid 1990's on a 66 Standard Bus, same engine bay as your Double Cab Pretty Much. I shortened the 411 heater boxes after cutting off the sheet metal and used this. I added a locally sourced round muffler and it looked nice, sounded nice, and fit nice. It was really cheap and easy. The hardest job is cleaning out the flanges you cut off the original 411 tubes and sliding then down and welding flat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tony

I have this same setup and have been mocking it up to see if it fits. Looks to me like it is too deep without dropping it down, do you have an installed pic?

I have a DTM conversion on mine but I shortened the 411 exhaust manifolds and used this same header. I kept it off the filter and pump without having to dimple the exhaust header. It fits behind my stock apron and bumper quite nicely.

I have the first generation DTM and have purchased shortened 411 exhaust manifolds. I was thinking of just buying the VS can and run it. Do you have any pics of your exhaust? I am planning on running this on my 58
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Sorry the pics I have with me aren't great but here they are.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

I think that'd work great running the VS can. I tried installing a stock exhaust on these shortened pipes and it hit the bumper brackets. That's the only reason I went with this header set up. The VS can would look really nice too especially with ribbed bumpers on your 58.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I think that'd work great running the VS can. I tried installing a stock exhaust on these shortened pipes and it hit the bumper brackets. That's the only reason I went with this header set up. The VS can would look really nice too especially with ribbed bumpers on your 58.

Thanks for the pics. I can't wait to get my type 4 installed. Waiting on the tranny. Won't be long
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Off topic, but anybody notice the clean shortening job on this bus? The entire rear side door was removed, leaving only the front side door to get into the rear passenger compartment.
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

I'm eventually going to build a T4 for my bus. When I do I am gonna attempt to cut down a set of bay heater boxes and run a Vintage Speed or stock bay muffler. I am hoping I can make it turn out somewhat stock looking, that is the goal anyways. If you took the tin off the heater box, you could figure out how long they needed to be, cut them, melt some aluminum off where the flanges would go, and weld them back on. Then it's just be a matter of modifying the tin that goes on them so you'd have a way to hook up the fresh air hoses and the heater ducts. I drive my bus in winter though, so I at least want to have working defrosters.

There is a guy here in AL with a German Look super, and he had some custom J-pipes made that would attach to FI beetle heater boxes. However, I am not sure if the late beetle exhaust would even clean the rear apron. Not to mention the two heater outlets...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

I now have a stock 73-74 muffler and an empi header system. I am going to try and see if both will fit so that either one could be bolted on without modifications. The stock system will be my first choice if both won't fit in the same space. Will let you know how it works out but it will have to wait until I finish a head gasket job on the wife's subie.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:

I like how you tackled the rear breast tin for a better seal in the engine compartment. This one area the JoeCali book needs improvement.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type4 conversion exhaust Reply with quote

After doing maintenance on the wife's car and recovering from a cycling injury I finally got back to fitting a type4 exhaust onto my 65 DC. Surprisingly it fits though it was tight, hopefully there is enough clearance at the apron to keep from burning the paint. I will have to modify or custom fabricate the bumper mounting brackets to clear the exhaust.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: