Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tins for Buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

I got 4 blower housings and 4 cylinder tins with my basket case buggy, I don't know if I have the the right ones and I am new to the air cooled VWs. What do I need for tins for a dune buggy?

Thanks,

Steve
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

Cylinder cover tins, fan shroud and the little baffle tins that go above the pushrods between the cylinders (very important and can be exchanged with "cool tins" that are larger and wrap the cylinder underneath)

That should keep it running at a good temp.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wilsonsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

What about a thermostat? I have a couple of good sets of flappers that move freely, but no thermostats.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

wilsonsk wrote:
What about a thermostat? I have a couple of good sets of flappers that move freely, but no thermostats.

Just wire them open.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

If you plan on driving a good part of the year (and not only the 3 or 4 months when it's warm) or any off road I would source a thermostat so the engine will warm up quickly, sled tins so the bottoms of the cylinders (and the thermostat) aren't being constantly hit with cold air (or water) and the bottom rear tins (bolt to the cylinder covers so the rear cylinders are cooled properly all the way around.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

Use the fanshroud appropriate for your oil cooler, the proper cylinder head tins and run type 3 cool tins to keep the air directed around the bottoms of the cylinders. IF you have a welder and like to fabricate you can cut the flanges off the cylinder head tins and weld on a 2" extension than cleans up the tins and helps blow air down around the cylinders
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I weld in pieces of tin to replicate the vanes and direct the air
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tins for Buggy Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
wilsonsk wrote:

Just wire them open.

Unless you want the engine to run well and last, in that case get a thermostat and all the original tins and install them as leak free as you can.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: