Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Tent Project
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

I have an upcoming camping trip on the coast of Maine coming up. Bus has been out of commission for a while but I have used this as motivation to get myself in gear and put her back on the road. My bus is a tintop but otherwise I have the full 1970 weary interior. Since the last time I camped in the bus we now have two additions a 2 year old and a 10 month old. Child's cot takes care of the two year old but still needed a spot for his little sister. Honestly she could easily have shared the bed with us or I could have rigged up some kind of bumper rail for the stool/rear facing seat "bed" but I figured why not cram in an extra project before the camping deadline. I have seen the factory rear tents and also a few aftermarket options. I stole some ideas from the ones I liked Best but made one major change that I haven't seen elsewhere. Rather than make it the same width as the hatch and merely an extension of the main bed I made it 74" long (same length as a standard twin bed. It's a hair narrower at 36" than a true twin but this allows the platform to hinge and sit on (or under) the rear bed mattress pad for storage. If I had a nose mounted spare tire I would have had the real estate for a full twin. Next I plan to build a snap in wall that goes just behind the rear seats to keep my son "contained" on the cot. Anyway it's outdoor canvas, heavy duty screening, and marine clear vinyl. In the pictures showing the screen the bottom wasn't yet fastened to the wood base so you will see the flaps hanging down. The outer door completely zips off when not needed. It goes on pretty quick and easy 5 minutes maybe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

Looks pretty cool.

Can you show a picture of how the platform attaches to the Bus (not the chains). Curious how it does not flip up once weight is put on it.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

It just sits on the edge the angle of the chains and gravity creates an inward pull. Because it's notched it stops when it hits the rear corners outside the hatch opening. It takes some real force to pull it away from the bus with one hand and tuck the tail of the tent behind it to snap I place underneath. I was unsure how this would work and thought I was going to have to fabricate something to lock it in but it proved to be a non-issue.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

That's a great idea. And a great way to think outside the box....or the loaf, in this case. Now you'll be set for the next 10+ years as your children grow.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

That is really cool - looks almost factory!
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
That is really cool - looks almost factory!

Thanks that's what I was going for and why I chose this color and canvas rather then rip-stop vinyl (well, that and longevity)
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

I like that VS exhaust, what's it attached to?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I like that VS exhaust, what's it attached to?

Good eyes, its paired to what I like to think of as my "Type I camper special", a motor I purpose built with pushing a bus around in mind. Its a 76mm stroker with 88mm extra thickwall jugs for an 1849cc combo. The vintage speed exhaust is the newest edition to the package and I really haven't driven it since the install over 2 years ago so I can't report on that other then it sounds nice and looks even nicer.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

orangesuper wrote:
an 1849cc combo...other then it sounds nice and looks even nicer.

Niice! I love mine too and agree with you about the sound and looks. I also really like how it tucks under the apron and gives a really nice departure clearance.

Who's 76mm crank are you running? Is it 4140 or 4340?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

pretty similar to what I was hoping to build. Have you thought about adding legs in the back to help alleviate the strain on the chain/door hinge? I was thinking some sort of easily adjustable legs (to account for uneven ground) that fit into a little bracket under the plywood.
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

It's a CB performance 4140 crank.

Webcam 119 camshaft
DRD L3 heads.

No qualms about the crank. But I did have the whole rotating assembly sent out for dynamic balancing(not sure how much he took off the crank but I think I do recall some machining marks on the counterweights after balancing). I did have an issue fitting it to the flywheel but I'm not sure if the crank or the flywheel was the issue. I used an 8 dowelled full weight flywheel as I wanted the rotational mass since I wasn't building this as a high revving motor anyway.

I love this motor set up by the way, over my tired 1600 it's like a different bus. 5 Years ago shortly after building it we took a trip out to Montana it went up and over the Rockies beautifully several times on a couple pretty gnarly passes.
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
Have you thought about adding legs in the back to help alleviate the strain on the chain/door hinge?

I thought about this or more likely some sort of diagonal bracing that came back to the bumper that way terrain would have zero effect but after building it I found it unnecessary. The chains are rated to 1050lbs (each) and the door hinges are very stout. When I hop up there the suspension sags more then the platform does. I have sat up there with my son for a combined weight of maybe 210# and it's more then sufficient. If you wanted to have two full size consenting adults in there "testing the load capacity" then maybe you would want further bracing. But as it's a narrowed twin and a Westy has better options for that...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

orangesuper wrote:
It's a CB performance 4140 crank.

I wish you the very best of luck with it, mine went 23k before it took a trip to splits-ville. CB did warranty it and I have a new crank sitting in my garage waiting to be put into a bug, once I find one...

I've since upgraded to the 78.4mm 4340 CB crank, currently have 17k. Only time (and millage) will tell how long it will last.

Hope you and your family have a fun trip! I take many road trips with my family and there's nothing better then making it home safely. My son is 4 and absolutely loves our bus and taking road trips in it.

Rear tent is sweet!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

The best part is the bears will appreciate the environmentally friendly packaged people snacks!

Seriously, nice implementation

Very Happy
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

With some of the extra material and screening I added this wall behind the child's cot. It snaps into place on the roof support rib and down to the walls behind the front seats. The main purpose is to keep my 2 year old from immediately climbing down and out of bed when he decides it's not bed time yet. Solid wall velcros over screening. Lighting wasn't the best in these pictures but you get the idea

Hansolo99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

Where did you get the material and the screen? Also did you sew it all yourself?? I really like what your doing.
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

Everything is from Joanne's Fabrics I used "Duck Canvas" and what they call heavy duty pet screening. Which is a very heavy screening but also very flexible. Sunbrella waterproof canvas would be a better choice but at $60 a yard its too rich for my blood. The snaps also came from joann's and fit on my stock bug screen snaps already in the hatchway. I waterproofed with a product called 303 Fabric Guard which I had to order online as no one local carries it.

I did do all the sewing. I have a heavy duty sewing machine. Its really just a nice older (1960s?) Japanese built machine not a fancy upholstery machine or anything. But like they say they don't make 'em like the used to. This thing has a cast iron fly wheel and will chunk its way through 4 layers of leather.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

oooh love it!

how did you attach the buttons to the brace?

did you just put some sheet metal screwed button receives in the respective positions? epoxy?

I always hesitate to screw any new holes into the bus, but loving the button idea....

although, up until I came across your thread I have just been using a pressure fitted pvc pipe across the arch
orangesuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

I did screw sheet metal screw buttons in. Similar to the rear bug screen snaps
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Tent Project Reply with quote

Very cool. I will have to remember this thread once I get to the interior on my Westy.. Nice work!
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: