Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed]
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

I bought a 77 bus recently and after having it for about a week the shifting has become extremely tough. When it is off and cold it is much much easier to shift. I am able to get it into gear when running but it have to use way too much force. I don't think it's the clutch because if i have it in gear i can depress the clutch pedal and rev the engine. Do you guys have any thoughts?

Last edited by SurfaceRust on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

If you have a Bentley manual you can read the procedure to make sure the shifter is properly adjusted. After that you can start looking at replacing the bushings if needed. Make sure your transmission fluid is properly topped off and you might want to change it if you don't know the history.

My bus shifts well, but not by modern standards. Always remember the vehicle is almost 40 years old. It's never going to shift like 2016 vehicle...or even a 2006 vehicle!

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

check the gear fluid level. Most likely it is the pilot bearing. Also check the bolts holding the engine and trans together.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

2x on the pilot bearing, they are way undersized and are known for failing frequently. Once you have the engine and tranny split you are going to want to check that the slinger in the bellhousing of the tranny has not come loose.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

SurfaceRust wrote:
I bought a 77 bus recently and after having it for about a week the shifting has become extremely tough. When it is off and cold it is much much easier to shift. I am able to get it into gear when running but it have to use way too much force. I don't think it's the clutch because if i have it in gear i can depress the clutch pedal and rev the engine. Do you guys have any thoughts?

Do NOT drive it until you have this one fixed.

It is very much the clutch whether or not you can rev it freely in a gear with the pedal depressed, the little brass synchronizers (about the size of a plastic coffee cup lid) can get killed if you start getting tough on the gear shifter.

What is the free play at the top of the pedal travel (in inches)?
Colin
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

Shifter Parts ID

First thing to inspect is the shift coupler and front shift rod bushing.

Good luck
Tcash
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Shifter Parts ID

First thing to inspect is the shift coupler and front shift rod bushing.

Good luck
Tcash

I am assuming he does not get a release as he states:
"When it is off and cold it is much much easier to shift."
Colin
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

The clutch can almost fully depress without catching. It only catches with about 1-2 inches left. Its not free play in the clutch though.. its still hard to press down all the way through.
Also when running i can shift into 3rd and 4th fine, its just 1st and 2nd which are tough. If its in reverse I can get it into first easier. if its in neutral i cant get 1st at all. if im coming from 1st i can get 2nd, but if im coming from 3rd i cant get 2nd

Ill change out the gear oil

I was thinking it could be some of the bushings in the linkage

Ill look into the pilot bearing
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
SurfaceRust wrote:

Do NOT drive it until you have this one fixed.

It is very much the clutch whether or not you can rev it freely in a gear with the pedal depressed, the little brass synchronizers (about the size of a plastic coffee cup lid) can get killed if you start getting tough on the gear shifter.

What is the free play at the top of the pedal travel (in inches)?
Colin

WINNER...
It was in fact the clutch. I just had to tighten the wingnut on the cable and now its good to go. Not before buying a new bushing kit for the linkage though.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

SurfaceRust wrote:

WINNER...
It was in fact the clutch. I just had to tighten the wingnut on the cable and now its good to go. Not before buying a new bushing kit for the linkage though.

If your clutch adjustment change all at once the cable is probably beginning to fray or the pin in the front is wearing through. I would suggest that if you don't want to get stuck out on the road within the next few hundred miles you change out the cable and pin while verifying that the front lever arm isn't hogged out to badly. You might buy a complete kit that included the bowden tube and change that out as well.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

^^^We loosen the wingnut as the clutch disc wear out. As posted if you had to tighten it, you will want to check the cable and clutch cable lever.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

I carry very few parts with me when I travel as I try to keep things in good enough shape that they will not let me down without giving lots of notice. I do carry both a spare throttle cable and a spare clutch cable. They are both cheap, light in weight and don't take up much room. They just get stashed in with the spare tire.
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

Well I installed my shift linkage bushing kit today. it shifts even more smooth now, but just as a precaution I have ordered 2 Clutch cable kits and an accel cable. i also ordered the clutch pin thing, because it was cheap. Thanks for the advice. Would rather have the parts for if/when it does break.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

Be certain the clutch lever (pedal end) is oriented correctly. Otherwise it will break the cable in short order near the pedal end. Also when tightening the wing nut end use vice grips to hold the cable in place.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

In the middle of changing my bushings as well. My shifting is sloppy as all hell!
I just pulled my shift rod but all my bushing look fine. Any ideas? Working on a 72.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
In the middle of changing my bushings as well. My shifting is sloppy as all hell!
I just pulled my shift rod but all my bushing look fine. Any ideas? Working on a 72.

While you have the bushing tube out clean it very well inside. Once certain the bushings are good give the a shot of Teflon spray lubricant. Spray the interior of the tube as well. See if you can source the boots that also go over each end of the tube when putting everything back together.

Look for slop in the shifter at the stick end or the trans coupler end.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

kkjellquist wrote:
If you have a Bentley manual you can read the procedure to make sure the shifter is properly adjusted. After that you can start looking at replacing the bushings if needed. Make sure your transmission fluid is properly topped off and you might want to change it if you don't know the history.

My bus shifts well, but not by modern standards. Always remember the vehicle is almost 40 years old. It's never going to shift like 2016 vehicle...or even a 2006 vehicle!

Can you elaborate on that? The only bus I have ever driven is my own so I have no idea what "normal" is on a bus.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
kkjellquist wrote:

Can you elaborate on that? The only bus I have ever driven is my own so I have no idea what "normal" is on a bus.

I believe he is referring to the overall feel of the stick when shifting. It is notably different in terms of comparison to modern manual shift vehicle. The shift stroke is longer and not as stiff (side play) on a bus.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

If you can't accurately shift through the four forward gears without the base of your hand leaving your knee, you can make some improvements in your shift mechanism.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthonyhernandez99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough shifting 77 Bus [Fixed] Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this thread describes my issue pretty well.

I'm not able to get at the wingnut at the moment, but I had my lady press on the clutch and release so I can get an idea of how much movement I'm getting.

Does this look normal? Or should I get after that wingnut?

https://youtu.be/Jy3jJDV_kUY

Thanks in advance!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: