Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Update) 1970 Westfalia 1641 DP compression test
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You need to hang out with the local VOSA group. They will have parts, know how to work on your VW and be a good group for you to learn from.

Good to know. I just looked them up and they have meetings on the 1st Sunday every month. I'll reach out.
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Laughing If you can get a good compression test-- then oil pressure reading and ck the end play at the pulley- your on your way to getting your tin things sorted-

1 heater boxes and correct fan housing- with heater tubes
2 center intake manifolds replaced with one with clear flowing pre heat
3 muffler with pre heat stuff

We will stop there so as not to discourage you.

BUT- you will want to deal with fire prevention first- Lots of mods to help prevent fires- biggest killers of VW's going.

Yeah quite a few things need to be sorted, but it'll come with time.

Good to know on the fire prevention. I've heard its best to carry a fire extinguisher with you.

Any recommendations? I'm assuming I would want one that can handle electrical fires and is easily accessible from the driver seat.
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
westysmb wrote:
I'll do a hopefully be able to do a compression test this weekend and go from there with your recommendations. Any idea on where the compression should be on each cylinder?

~100-120 PSI and roughly the same on all 4 cylinders.
Do the test with a fully charged battery, all 4 plugs out and the throttle held wide open, loosen the plugs and warm up the engine first as well. A valve adjustment before the test helps as well unless you want to see if a tight valve was the cause for a soft cylinder.
www.ratwell.com has a good description of a compression test, John Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen alive" book also describes the test well (even though some other advice in that book is outdated).

Great info, busdaddy! Right now it sounds pretty good, but we'll see how the compression test comes back.
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Classic VW Beetle Bugs How to Check Engine Compression Motor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7bKNKPmuo

Thanks for the link, Tcash! That was a great visual on how to do the test.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

As far as fire goes- I'm putting "Blasecut" system in all my buses from now on- the advantage is the big bang it makes when it goes off and gives you some time to get back to the fire before it gets going.

From reports- it mostly puts the fire out. Shocked

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

westysmb wrote:
williamM wrote:

fires- biggest killers of VW's going.

Any recommendations?

Sure. Have properly sized new metric hose (5mm) that fits onto secure nipples on the fuel pump and carburetor.

Here's a 1970 engine that has been on the road every day since April 25th. No fire suppression system mucking up the engine compartment, but you can be very very sure that i am alert to the condition of my ignition and fuel systems, no chafes, no crossed wires:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please please please note that there is no state in the Union that has a climate that allows you to willy-nilly rip out thermostats chokes and air preheaters and whatevers. These engines find anything below 145* "cold".

Just build your knowledge slowly and thoroughly, these cars are pretty forgiving with our learning curves.
Colin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westfalia 1600 oil breather opening Reply with quote

westysmb wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
westysmb wrote:
I'll do a hopefully be able to do a compression test this weekend and go from there with your recommendations. Any idea on where the compression should be on each cylinder?

~100-120 PSI and roughly the same on all 4 cylinders.
Do the test with a fully charged battery, all 4 plugs out and the throttle held wide open, loosen the plugs and warm up the engine first as well. A valve adjustment before the test helps as well unless you want to see if a tight valve was the cause for a soft cylinder.
www.ratwell.com has a good description of a compression test, John Muir's "How to keep your Volkswagen alive" book also describes the test well (even though some other advice in that book is outdated).

Great info, busdaddy! Right now it sounds pretty good, but we'll see how the compression test comes back.

I know its been a while, but I finally did a compression test yesterday and the number (2?) cylinder has zero compression. Here are the results.

Front of bus
125 120
135 0
Back of bus

I didn’t do a valve adjustment since I wanted to see where I was before changing anything; I’m hoping to get it done tonight.

I’m guessing anything could be the reason for no compression, but could something as simple as adjusting the valves to .006 solve the problem if it’s poorly adjusted right now? What would be the next step after the valve adjustment if/when it doesn’t solve the issue?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: