Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

Hey all

Just bought a temp alarm for my beloved. Finally got the cable out the front of the cab without having to drill another hole and run underneath her. Just pondering where would be best to secure the temp monitor to, on the engine tho. The heat sensor is a circular lug, the instructions state:
Under a rocker cover bolt, a bolt on the block near the heat source (away from the exhaust ports if possible)or a thermostat housing bolt.

Any ideas? Smile
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

I suppose you just attach the pick-up to whichever bolt or place that you want to monitor for temp.

Put it somewhere and don't overthink it. Watch it as you drive in different weather and topographies. Use the gauge to develop a trend when your engine is operating, and then you will know what is the norm.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

As a bit of background, I'm renting the old girl out (wahey!). The the alarm is important to keep the uneducated in check.

Point taken about just mounting it somewhere though. I don't think it matters a great deal as long as the alarm threshold is set at the right point (ie it can't be going off every 2 mins but has to if they need to pull over).

Cheers
Rob.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

The alarm threshold temperature will determine where the do-dad needs to be attached. Best of luck to ya.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

It's configurable Smile

I've bolted it near the sump, I'll run her around a few times and see what the temp is coming up with and then set accordingly.

Thanks for the advice.
Rob.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

Somewhere on the case would likely be best, maybe the distributor hold down bolt? I recall those simple ones that turned on the oil light recommended using one of the tin screws that attached the tin to the head below the spark plug wires. Back of the sump out of the airflow may be another option, oil pump bolt perhaps?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

I had a friend with a '68 who had mounted an obnoxious buzzer inline with his oil light.

That way, you would hear it immediately rather than driving along cluelessly looking straight ahead (instead of noticing that the light had suddenly gone red).

Of course, when you turned the key just to the "on" position in the morning, it would buzz annoyingly until you turned the key one step further to engage the starter solenoid
(or, just as long as it would normally take for the red light to go off).

I thought of it as cheap engine insurance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

It's actually got another wire to hook up to the oil light too. It has a 10 second delay to offset the startup issue. I'll worry about that one later though!
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

bmouthrob wrote:
It's actually got another wire to hook up to the oil light too. It has a 10 second delay to offset the startup issue.
Some smart person here needs to design and fabricate obnoxious buzzer kits with 10-second delays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

It sounds like you have some kind of thermocouple setup. It is actually the crimp that is the thermocouple and not the ring. The ring just anchors the thermocouple. To get the best readings you want the crimp located where air doesn't blow across the crimp and cool it. On a Type 4 engine installing the ring under one of the bolts on top of the engine case and under the plenum should give good result.

How about posting so info on the setup you are installing.
bmouthrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

Sure... This is it: http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=31

I'm sure it's possible to knock something up cheaper yourself but with 2 small kids I don't have the time at the mo! Got nice features such as

10 sec delay
Temp sensor and ability to hook into oil light
6 m cable if requested for buses!

Smile
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

The only catch with that setup is that it is optimised for pressurised water cooled engines.
125 degrees C is hot but not amzingly hot for oil temperatures.

Watching the gauges today it was clear - driving above 60 mph anywhere on dual carriageway roads resulted in the engine producing a lot more heat.

I was driving at 112 C oil / 128 C heads on M2/M26/M25/M23 in the 65-70mph range.
As soon as I turned onto the A272 between A23 and A32 south at 30-50mph it dropped back to 90C oil and 115 C head. (Sensor in Brazilian cylinder head temperature semder hole).

Tell cuztomers to avoid motorways and fit a tracker and charge extra for use above 60mph...

Based on what gets killed firzt I would ask those guys for a 150 C alarm and fix it to the cylinder head casting.

Or fit full flow oil filter and additional cooler. Its what I did to pull oil temps back from 130 degrees C.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best spot in the engine for a temperature alarm? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
The only catch with that setup is that it is optimised for pressurised water cooled engines.
125 degrees C is hot but not amzingly hot for oil temperatures.

Watching the gauges today it was clear - driving above 60 mph anywhere on dual carriageway roads resulted in the engine producing a lot more heat.

I was driving at 112 C oil / 128 C heads on M2/M26/M25/M23 in the 65-70mph range.

As soon as I turned onto the A272 between A23 and A32 south at 30-50mph it dropped back to 90C oil and 115 C head. (Sensor in Brazilian cylinder head temperature semder hole).

Tell cuztomers to avoid motorways and fit a tracker and charge extra for use above 60mph...

Based on what gets killed firzt I would ask those guys for a 150 C alarm and fix it to the cylinder head casting.

Or fit full flow oil filter and additional cooler. Its what I did to pull oil temps back from 130 degrees C.

I always eased off the throttle if the engine oil temperature of my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental started to approach 110ēC, especially during British hot summer weather. It was much happier cruising at 50~55 mph, rather than trying to maintain 65 mph, from which it would rapidly slow down, whenever one met an uphill gradient on the motorway, which can be as steep as 1 in 20 (i.e. 5%) in some parts of mainland Britain.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: