Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How difficult to pull the engine in a '78?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

More than likely I will sell this bus as I bought it to shoot a couple of scenes in an indy film. That's now done and it's only value to me is as a promotional vehicle, but that's not possible as it overheats after driving a few miles over 30mph.

Obviously the resale value takes a big hit when it can't be driven more than a few miles, so I'm considering dropping the engine and addressing the cooling issue by stripping the tin, examining and cleaning the oil cooler and cylinders, and doing a "reseal" by replacing oil cooler o rings, pushrod seals and valve cover gaskets. I think the heads are fine since the engine runs fairly strong, but might pull them and check things out while I'm at it. I would also source and replace the missing lower tin pieces the previous "mechanic" didn't bother to reinstall.

I haven't pulled a VW engine since 1974 or so when I was 17 (that was a '68 bug). If I remember correctly It involved only getting the rear of the bus up a foot or so, removing the 4 nuts, disconnecting fuel lines, accelerator cable and a few wires and then dropping the engine to the rear and down with a floor jack. Am I missing something?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

That covers the basics. But most in here will suggest pulling the tranny out with the engine. I followed their recommendations earlier this year, and it was a success for being my first time. Good luck!

Edit: And as long as you have to remove 2 CVs, you might as well clean and repack all 4. Very messy job, but important.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Quote:
I would also source and replace the missing lower tin pieces the previous "mechanic" didn't bother to reinstall.

The likely source of your problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CompleteHavoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Follow the Ratwell instructions... everything is listed in order... Did this 2 years ago with out any prior knowledge of VW's.

The wife freaked out, I have a history of losing interest when things go sideways... Ratwell made it so simple. Pulled the motor, cleaned out all the rats nests, powder coated shroud, tins, etc. installed in reverse.

Thing runs like a top - though I'm not sure about it being timed correctly... but that's my next thread...
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Before getting into this you may want trouble shoot why it,s overheating and how much time and money your willing to spend to make it right.A bus with a running engine,albeit one that over heats would be worth more then a bus with a engine in a box.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Also, how do you know it's overheating? Do you have a gauge on it?
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Also, how do you know it's overheating? Do you have a gauge on it?

It gets hot enough to start burning accumulated oil off engine and heat exchangers, causing a lot of smoke. Also, last time it happened, had loud valve clatter, which goes away when cooler. Dipstick wasn't all that hot, but I read that the "dipstick test" doesn't apply to type 4's.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

I've pulled and installed countless engines, but so when it was time to do my first Type-IV, I followed the ratwell sequence, merely because I was dealing with F.I. And I left the trans in.

So in retrospect, the only thing I don't get is why ratwell instructs to remove the starter. Disconnect the wires to get the alternator wire (and MAYBE the F.I. relay wire) off, sure...but in the end, I'm just about 99.5% sure the starter could've stayed put.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

I drop it with the transmission so I can get at the shifter bushings. Using a MC lift and a wheeled floor jack, comes out no problem. Back of the bus needs to be a little over 2 feet off the floor.

The reinstall single handed means getting it all lined up, as it is tough to muscle it into place if it is not lined up right.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

You won't add any resale value to your Bus with a rookie refit.

Of course, if you want to get some experience, go for it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult to pull the engine in a '78? Reply with quote

Oil burning off on a bus that's sat a long time isn't uncommon, especially if you've given it a tune up and awakened a dead cylinder or two that's accumulated extra scum while it slept.

You can pull enough tin to access the oil cooler and fins while the engine is still in the bus. If it's not pissing out a quart every time you drive it or has clutch issues consider jacking it up to a height where you can sit on a chair and lean into the compartment comfortably and doing the job in place.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: