Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Bay Window drivers seat removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geojozai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Hey Bay Window lovers. I am a true novice trying to bring back to life my newly purchased 72 Bay Window Tin Top Camper that had been sitting for the past 15-20 years. Anyway I have removed all the interior except for the Drivers seat. I have tried everything but I cannot seem to get it to move at all except for a little wiggle. What am I doing wrong? I feel like I am just missing something simple. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Geojozai AKA Joe
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

You will need to soak the track and release mechanism with a light oil to get the seat to move. There is also a stop that you must release to get the seat to come all the way off the tracks.
Geojozai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings, I had done that a couple of times in the past. After I posted the post I went out a worked on it for probably the 4th or 5th time, I put some muscle into it and voila in moved. Thanks anyway I really appreciate your input.

I'm sure I will be in need of more help soon.

Thanks so much,

Geojozai aka Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

You're going to have a great running bus in no time, Joe. Just keep asking questions, and the Sambanistas will help you along the way.

Where in California are you? There are lots of experienced people all over the state who would be happy to assist.

I see you have the Haynes repair manual. Do you also have Bentley's Service Manual? It's almost a necessity to keeping your bus/van alive.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Geojozai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

KentPS, thanks so much for the vote of confidence. I reside in Venice. I see that you are in Palm Springs. I can use all the help I can get. Maybe you could give me your thoughts on my plans. I have basically gutted the bus so that it can get painted but I'm thinking of having the wire harness replaced first and then installing a rebuilt engine, then the brakes. It is a complete restore. Any advice. Also any suggestions on a place of a person I could have do the rewire as well as the engine?

Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated as I am overwhelmed already.

Geojzai aka Joe
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Geojozai wrote:
Also any suggestions on a place of a person I could have do the rewire as well as the engine?

The best person I know to do the work is in that picture above. Dancing You will do a much better job, and have more confidence in the results than anyone you can hire to do it. The person who really inspired me to get dirty with Chloe was Asiab3 (AKA Robbie) here on The Samba.

Robbie won't do the work for you, but he will guide you thru what needs to be done. He was over here last week and showed me how to replace points, along with a bunch of other stuff. (Yes, I know NOW that points are easy to replace, but it was a giant obstacle for me to overcome.)

You also have a ton of resources right here on The Samba...
    Check out all the stickies,
    Get familiar with all the info available in the Technical section.
    Learn to search the forum for others who have experienced the same problem.
    And keep posting updates in your thread. With lotsa pics. We love pics!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

In particular you may find the 1972-parts-only thread useful. It was a crossover year, and it has some unique features. I have a '72 as well, and have run into a few things.

Does this have the original engine? Dual carburetors?

I agree with Kent that, although you will find it intimidating at first, YOU are the best person to be working on your bus.

Looks like a great project!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Joe- Welcome to the world of the bloody hand. I have a 72 also and one of the things you will learn to hate is the lack of a engine hatch which VW corrected the next year. Every task in the engine compartment is up the butt. Just seeing the point gap is a pain. My back and knees complain loudly. On the other hand there is a great community of 72 owners here that stand by to help.

Good luc, and as others have said, the best VW mechanic is looking out from your photo.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Geojozai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Jtauxe - thank for the everything. I tried to find the 1972-parts-only thread but I could not find it. I am still learning the in's and out's of the site.

Keep watching, I will add more pis as things progress.

Kind Regards,

Geojozai aka Joe
Geojozai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Lil Lulu - Thank you for your input. You are so right, I had been in the engine compartment and noticed what a pain in the ASH that compartment is. I have bloodied my knuckles already and I'm sure I will be bloodying the up again.

Thanks,

Geojozai aka Joe
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Bay Window drivers seat removal Reply with quote

Feel free to ad a hatch! The later Bus ones go right in with a careful sawzaw cut, or go big with a T-3/Vanagon hatch. It is a must these days for the non-stop relentless failure of Chinese parts. Ignore all "its a hack" blather.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: