Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Suspension down on bumpstops
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Good Morning All.

Last night I was laid under my bay adjusting the clutch when I noticed that the rear is sat on the bump stops on the near side and about 10mm off the bump stop on the off side. What would be causing this? Where should I start investigating? Im assuming nothing so simple as replacing the rear shocks will cure this? I cant test the shocks currently as there is no bounce to test!

Its a 1978 RHD t2 1600 bay incase that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Andi

Last edited by andihowe on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

I should add Ive read up on all the usual posts about the rear torsion bars.

If my bay is just suffering from the usual rear end sag mentioned before in these posts, would just adjusting the rear torsion bars to give me more height be ok, or should I look at replacing them?
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok so my plot thickens.

After re reading some info I went out and looked at where the spring plates are sat and they are halfway between the the stops. and the bumpstop is as you can see is bottoming out.

Any suggestions as whats going on will be gratefully received!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

You should be able to index the spring plates and reuse using the existing torsion bars, unless you find they are cracked or damaged when you remove them.

A possible reason why the suspension is hitting the bump stop without the spring plate hitting the stop could be that the spring plate bushings may be ovalled out resulting in the whole spring plate moving up.

You have some crusty looking parts in the photos so I would get them blasted and painted when you remove them.
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment Mellow. Yeah thats the plans, to clean and paint all the parts when I strip it down. Excuse the ignorance, but what are the Spring plate bushings?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Here's a little light reading to get your head around what's going on and how to deal with it: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7875349
I notice you are missing the cup that was welded to the housing for the stop to bear against as well, damn rust.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Cheers Busdaddy for the link. Thats the one ive been reading and to be honest not finished yet, but the thing that is confusing me is the fact the bump stop is in contact yet the spring plate is halfway between the two stops.

Is it my torsion arm and spring plate thats causing the problem or is it the diagonal arm?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Looks to me like classic buttsag, if unloading 300 lbs of stuff out of the back of the bus doesn't cure it then it's time to reindex the bars and replace the bushings.

Normally they sit with the plate ~ 2/3 down between the stops and ~ 3/4" off the bump stop.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

That's for the info again busdaddy. I'm going with the classic buttsag first then. Last question....... are the bushings the black donuts in the images? If so are the inner and out identical?

Cheers again,

Andi
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Andi: the bushings are hidden behind the rusty plate in your first photo, to the left of the tire. Part number 211-511-245 A, but double check that number for your model year. They are not bushings as we oftentimes think of bushings. They are rubber donuts, but I'm not sure what the Brits call donuts, so you're stuck with the American term.
andihowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

Thanks Pantone. That's great, yeah we have donuts too. Not really sure what they are called over here apart from rubber bushes. I'll get 4 of them ordered and get it stripped down and cleaned up.
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Suspension down on bumpstops Reply with quote

I have some pictures in my gallery when I did the procedure (following the thread mentioned earlier), but they look the same as the ones you're studying. Be sure to level things out before you start that work or you can also do the math. A digital level you can calibrate to your bus will ease that math test.

As for your current bus stance, is your bus is on a level surface? FYI - yes, they are all the same. You will need 4 talc powdered donuts Smile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: