Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy interior J channel
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

I am slowly piecing together a 67 SO42 that was cleaned out when I got it. I have heard about the J channel for the interior panels but I am not 100% sure on how many there are supposed to be and their location. I have acquired a couple of pieces so can anyone help me out with the whats and wheres?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

There is a long one that the driver wall interior panels goes into. The channel is at the bottom of the wood panel.
There is a short one for the panel behind the cargo door, in the closet.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Does the long one go all the way from the bulkhead to the fender well?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Not quite, mine goes from the wheel to about 6" short of the bulkhead. That end is held in nicely by the rear facing seat.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

If yours was a Westy then there should be old guide holes already down there to help you line it up.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Okie Adam is your SO42 a walk-through or bulkhead style and how long is that piece as I'm gathering my SO42 parts out of storage and it will help to know what I'm looking for.

Okie Adam wrote:
I am slowly piecing together a 67 SO42 that was cleaned out when I got it. I have heard about the J channel for the interior panels but I am not 100% sure on how many there are supposed to be and their location. I have acquired a couple of pieces so can anyone help me out with the whats and wheres?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
If yours was a Westy then there should be old guide holes already down there to help you line it up.

Excellent point! It is an original westy so I'll have to look for them.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Okie Adam is your SO42 a walk-through or bulkhead style and how long is that piece as I'm gathering my SO42 parts out of storage and it will help to know what I'm looking for.

Mine is a bulkead bus but this channel didn't come with my bus so if there's a different style for w/t vs bulkhead it might not be right. I'll be happy to measure it and let you know though.

Also, thanks to everyone for the responses. One more quick question, I assume the short leg goes towards the cargo area and not towards the wall? 50% chance I am guessing right Laughing
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

This is it in place with the table keep-down on the floor in front of it. The J piece doesn't go all the way down to the metal floor, there's a gap.
Willeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
One more quick question, I assume the short leg goes towards the cargo area and not towards the wall? 50% chance I am guessing right Laughing

Yep, short part of the J towards the cargo area. It's just a channel for the wood panel to slip into and hold down at the bottom. Hence no need for screws thru the panel at the bottom.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, folks! This ought to get me going in the right direction.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Okie Adam have that done by Saturday so I can see it at my house. Lol

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy interior J channel Reply with quote

Can anyone with this J channel provide the dimension of the exposed edge? I need to fabricate one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: