Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

Hello, I just joined TheSamba. I'm wondering what the ball park price to paint a Thing would be?

My Thing will has some surface rust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

Howdy and Welcome...

You started off with a very loaded question. The answer to it is: It depends Smile

How much do you want to invest?

Are you trying to create a show car or just update an everyday driver?

What other body work needs to be done?

How much rust needs to be taken care of?

How much work are you willing / able to do yourself?

Basically, you could go from a straight Krylon spray can job for a few hundred bucks to a top of the line show car finish for $10K plus. In between you have the basic Maco special or various other body / paint shops.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Post some pictures up here so we can all see what you have (we like pictures).
2. Spend some time reading in the body and paint forum. Read thoroughly before posting questions thought Smile
3. Go around to a few a shops in your area and see what they think.
4. Figure out what you are willing to invest.
5. Read some of the numerous build threads in here to see what all is involved. Not just in the Thing forum but also in the Beetle and Split Bus forums.

I know it didn't answer your question directly, but this should give you a way to get started. I think you will find everyone in this forum to be as helpful as we can.

jay
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

If you have the time, take a body shop class at your local Community College like I did. Then you could have a great job for the cost of supplies plus the cost of a spray gun (Sata Jet is my choice). Maaco is a good middle of the road shop. I would guess $1000-$1500 ballpark same color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

I knew a guy who painted his car with cans of spray paint. Took about 30 cans, and the car looked surprisingly good. Of course, the guy had spent considerable time prepping the car, which is most of the cost of a quality paint job.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:
I knew a guy who painted his car with cans of spray paint. Took about 30 cans, and the car looked surprisingly good. Of course, the guy had spent considerable time prepping the car, which is most of the cost of a quality paint job.

I have been spraying my THING for years...it only takes 12 cans but since mine is an Acapulco no hood to paint and the blue stripes under the door and the tail light
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

Plastidip is an idea.You can buy the kit for about 300 or so. If you hate it after awhile you can peel it off. Should last 3 or more years I am told.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

I asked about this a few years ago,

Was quoted about 10k to paint the THING inside and out.
It's obviously labor intensive to disassemble/reassemble.

I also pondered this idea: [$98 paint job- dated from 2007] http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0707-1962-ford-falcon-budget-paint-job/

Like someone previously stated, it's a lot of manual work but if you have no money and lots of time, may be worth it. On the plus side you can fix it yourself, the THING can be sectioned off rather easily due to it's angles and such.

I think the guy that painted the orange Thing with the 32 can of krylon did a neat job too but I've never been able to re-find the link.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

32 cans of krylon
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

iltis74 wrote:
32 cans of krylon

Thanks iltis74 Cool

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

A gallon of alkyd enamel is something like $30 and should do the whole car. Figure in some hardeners and some Penetrol to get the paint to lay down along with some other supplies and you should be able to do a decent job for $200-500 and lots and lots of labor.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

I took my Thing to a couple of shops in Akron and Youngstown. A scuff and respray averaged $2500-$3500. Most shops were not interested because it wasn't an insurance claim job. Can't wait to see photos of your 181!
SteveGIndy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

I just got my Thing painted. I went to no less than 8 different painters and was told by 6 of them they don't paint whole cars any more. The two shops that actually quoted the job were adamant that I take the car apart and deliver it in pieces and pick it up the same way. I would then do the reassembly. It turns out the labor for disassembly and reassembly makes painting cost prohibitive for most folks. With the car completely torn,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

down the two quotes were $8,000 and $10,000. So here in Indy that seems to be the ballpark for a good paint job.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what it would cost to paint a 1974 Thing ? Reply with quote

I spent close to $8500 in paint and body. On chassis, inside and out. No major rust or body issues. Very difficult to find a painter to do it on my terms. Performed all the disassembly and reassembly myself. Total resto cost came close to 18K. There's a detailed restoration thread on my tagline.

From this

[Insert Engine Bay fire]

To this

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: