Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Issues - 74 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Brake Issues - 74 Thing Reply with quote

Posting to help out my neighbor. He recently got his car back from a local ACVW shop who preformed the following:

* Rebuilt master cylinder
* New hard & soft lines from the master cylinder to the rear drums

Today, he installed new cylinders in his front two drums. The hard + soft lines were not changed. When we went to bleed the brakes, the rears were totally fine, but the fronts would not build much pressure at all and were not pushing out nearly any fluid. The lines from the reservoir to the MC are clear, as are the hard lines from the MC to the soft lines. The reservoir fluid level would drop when depressing the rears and backing of the bleeder valve, but not for the front. We can blow through the soft lines, but are still unsure of why we can't build brake pressure and no fluid is coming from the front bleeder valves.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Issues - 74 Thing Reply with quote

they do not have as much pressure as back.. bleed them .. put together and test drive.. do not forget to adjust them
pruppert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Issues - 74 Thing Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!

vwjetboat

"they do not have as much pressure as back.. bleed them .. put together and test drive.. do not forget to adjust them"

We bled them multiple times, we didn't drive the car, we did however take the front soft lines apart and use a coat hanger to "clean out" i know... (ghetto) but it seemed to be clogged at first but after a long attempt was better....

When the hub is off the front (driver) right and you depress the brake pedal the brake cylinder actuates but only the top side of it functions. The adjustment star wheels are set all the way unadjusted as i am unsure on the proper way to adjust them.

The brake pedal is very spongy and does not engage until the last 3/4...

Any help would be awesome!

-Phil
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Issues - 74 Thing Reply with quote

I too had this happen but on my 66'Mustang, over the past month I've been redoing the brake lines, MC, calipers, etc.

I had changed the MC and re-piped the proportioning valve for the rears and I could not get it to gravity bleed, had to get the wife to help bleed the brakes.
Even then after pump bleeding or using my 1 man brake bleeder, I could barely get any fluid.

found multiple leaks due to using Stainless Steel brake lines, had to work a few locations (tighten-loose-tighten-loose) until they sealed right.

once I got all the minor leaks fixed, I was able to pump-bleed and then gravity bleed all around.

The fun part was they didn't leak fluid like it was gushing out, but weeping, I had to wipe the connections dry, even hit them with brake cleaner and wipe them, pump the brakes and recheck to see if the threads had any fluid.

final check I sat in the car with the foot on the brake for about 10 min and rechecked, even then I found a couple more weeping leaks.

Finally got it right, it's so nice to have decent brakes again, now with a dual resivoir M/C for safety!

Hey, just my experience, hope it helps!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: