Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant hose- what failed for you?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elise111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Coolant hose- what failed for you? Reply with quote

Hi Folks-

Getting ready to replace the thermostat housing and related plastic stuff on my 2000 EV MV. There are so many hoses and tee's on these! I'm aware of the tee failure mode above the exhaust manifold. Anyone have other coolant hoses fail? How about the radiator itself?

Pete
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant hose- what failed for you? Reply with quote

I had my rad and rear heater core fail. The coolant was in bad shape and my van had been sitting for a few years so both those things likely contributed to the failures. I did end up replacing the front heater core for good measure.

The coolant hoses themselves seem to be very high quality so unless they are compromised by oil leaks or abrasive chaffing they seem to stand up well.

Unless you've had a water pump replaced at some time it may be worth considering that as well.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant hose- what failed for you? Reply with quote

Yeah, the original hoses on mine are still in great shape, but I do fear plastic fatigue for all those bits n' pieces in the system. I recently replaced a cracked thermostat housing, and then opted to swap in an aluminum "crack pipe", new radiator and waterpump. I deleted two plastic junctions when I installed an ATF cooler and eliminated the stock heat exchanger.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: