Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need quality CV boots
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

its been decades since I've had to shop for Type 1 CV boots but I'm down to my last spare boot and need to find more. I remember the Empi-type as being hard vinyl and not lasting long, I need a more flexible rubber boot that won't back out of the crimp.

Anyone have suggestions where to look for quality ? I have a 1970 Standard Beetle using Lobro beetle joints.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Are you SURE that you don't want to simply bolt-in new axle shafts that already have the boots on, lifetime warranty??? Some on this board have done that and are satisfied. Autozone/O'Reilly.

That's what I'd do on my two VWs if they had bad IRS boots. By the way: my 1970 and my 1971 are on their factory IRS axle boots, and the CV joints have NEVER been serviced/greased. I know this because I've had each from 1972 and 1976 respectively, as 2nd owner of each.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Are you SURE that you don't want to simply bolt-in new axle shafts that already have the boots on, lifetime warranty???

I'm sure. I just want replaceable boots
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

michla wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Are you SURE that you don't want to simply bolt-in new axle shafts that already have the boots on, lifetime warranty???

OK. Like Burger King said: Have it your way !!! Or was that Whataburger???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

There is a lengthy thread in the Bay Window forum on this, with all kinds of discussion on brands, material make-up, ozone levels, etc etc.
If you have some time to kill on the crapper its worth reading.
If not, I have been pretty happy with the Victor Reinz boots I bought a few years back from Bus Depot. They are holding up fine. Daily driver, winter use, etc.
Pretty sure there are VW/Audi boots available again as well. Lots of options.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
michla wrote:
Cusser wrote:

OK. Like Burger King said: Have it your way !!! Or was that Whataburger???

Wow! I didn't know Whataburger was in Arizona. I thought it was just a Texas thing. Mighty tasty Very Happy
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
There is a lengthy thread in the Bay Window forum on this, with all kinds of discussion on brands, material make-up, ozone levels, etc etc.

thanks but I tried a search in forums and no luck finding that
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443526&highlight=cv+boot+quality

enjoy

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443526&highlight=cv+boot+quality

enjoy

OH I AM !!! Shocked what a *great* read !! thank you very much !
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

My roommate is from Wasilla, what are the chances? Don't think he's ever goin back tho....

asiab3 wrote:

michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
My roommate is from Wasilla, what are the chances? Don't think he's ever goin back tho....

LOL, oh I *do* understand ! Razz
Alaska is having a rough time economically as of late and folks are leaving faster than they're moving in. I've been here 16 years and keep a home so I'm not going anywhere soon but there's like over 125,000 people living in Wasilla nowadays, lots of subdivisions. Its now the "bedroom community" for the city of Anchorage.

The drag strip up here "Alaska Raceway Park" is one of the nicest I've ever raced at and I raced all over the western U.S. in the 80's and 90's !
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113501149

x4. Make sure you own a 8mm "triple square socket" to do the screws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

yup saw that, thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Buy 24 of these also....

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N153711

I rather enjoy cleaning and repacking my German CV joints and do it about every 30K miles. I can do all 4 in an afternoon with some nice tunes and a few micro brews. It helps to have a gear puller if needed and a vise. I put on about 3 pair of gloves and discard them as they get to cruddy. Nobody bothers you when you are doing it.

I re-torque mine after about 100 miles. They really don't move much if any.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

And clean out the recesses in those bolts REAL well, and keep the 8mm triple square socket perfectly parallel.
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Buy 24 of these also....

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N153711

I re-torque mine after about 100 miles. They really don't move much if any.

I've never had a cv bolt move and I drag-race those puppies. Torque 'em to spec 25 ft lbs and they stay put just fine with the OEM "lock plates"
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Call and talk to John. Topline handles some good stuff

http://toplineparts.com/vw-rear-suspension/boot-for-c-v-joint-each-88-1407.html

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
Call and talk to John. Topline handles some good stuff

http://toplineparts.com/vw-rear-suspension/boot-for-c-v-joint-each-88-1407.html

nice, but....
those look like the "new German" boots and I'm reading the rubber isn't nearly as reliable (quality control varies, some are lasting some aren't)
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Just received four Meyle of Germany CV Boots, All four bags imprinted on the front with Meyle Germany, Meyle Products over and over again, but two of the four bags having a little white sticker on the back - "Made in PR of China", that would be Peoples Republic of China or just China.

They look good, time will tell.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need quality CV boots Reply with quote

Ive bought I dont know howmany sets, some germs some not but none lasted,last one I got was at "orileys" with lifetyme warranty and cheeper than the other guys(usual vw venders) and that was....well they should be dead by now but arnt so.next one I decide to change thats where Im getten it. pr of china...so when did we sell off portorico to china Shocked must of been a interest payment Wink
some of the vw parts sellers cv boots were cracked to hell in about a year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: