Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Move - Chances of passing smog?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
inoperapineapple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

I have fallen from grace and need to leave the PNW mecca for the scalding beaches of San Diego.

I rolled my stupid damn Vanagon off the highway right after I fixed it a couple years ago and I pretty much have it working again, save for a surging idle I am rapidly zeroing in on.

However, I'm petrified that I may fix it, drive it down the 101, arrive in California, and realize I have to pour more money into the abyssal money pit. If I don't go broke, it will certainly start cutting into my retirement funds.

Can anyone bestow knowledge or experience with San Diegan Vanagon smog checks? Is it absolutely imperative that I shell out $400 for a CARB approved Catalytic Converter? Will I need to replace my gas tank seals (I've just been filling halfway) ? Should I cut my losses and try to sell my Vanagon ASAP?

I haven't found any affordable garages or still-in-business DIY auto shops there. I am afraid I will get fleeced by mechanics who undoubtedly also have to pay exorbitant rent/mortgages.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

If you don’t have one and your car came with one, you will need it.

There I is such a great community down there I wouldn’t hesitate to bring the beast
dhaines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

I would run the van through the smog test and see how it does before you stress out too much. You might get through it first try depending on how well your current cat is working.

They rarely do the evap/fuel system pressure test as it is considered too difficult/damaging to access the hoses. A major win for our vans.

My van was close to passing the first time.
I did buy a CA Cat and after installing it, the van passed easily.
It was the only thing I did to get through the test.

Also, you need to get in touch with thesamba member, Markswagen, 619 201 0310
He is a mobile VW mechanic in San Diego.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

X10 on Mark! Give him a call. He really knows his stuff and is not a rip-off artist. You can trust him.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

+1 more recommendation of Mark, good guy, may like warm beer. Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

I'm in the San Diego area, 13 years of trying to get through smog test. I tried to keep it cheap with the 49 state CAT, it worked once or twice. But after installing the CA version of the CAT, then the smog test always passed (sometimes with suitable tune-up measures). So if you want to keep this hassle free (avoid multiple attempts) then yes, do get the CA CAT version.

And +1 on Mark, he has helped a lot.
inoperapineapple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and contact !

How does a mobile mechanic work with zoning and all that ? I’m under the impression that working on your car on the street isn’t legal, and if there’s any state that would be heavy handed about such laws it’d be California.

Alrighty, I’ll look into the CARB Cat. Reading the laws I might be required to get one now anyway (apparently they’re stamped with CA approval?)

Van is a huge money pit. Lost most of the value in the accident. Decided I wanted to retire early after that >.> Stressing trying to find a path where van + early retirement aren’t mutually exclusive things !
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Those kind of laws are local laws, by municipality, not State. Thats pretty much true across the Great Nation to which we all illegally immigrated in the past couple hundred years, excepting a small sub-set.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

That sounds like something more likely to be policed by a private HOA than a municipality.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

I think Mark can answer your question.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Yes you will need CA cat. You can find used. Then go to smog place. Pay for a pre smog. They will check everything without putting the info into computer. If you pass then immediately pay for full smog. You don't want to get into the system as gross poluter!
inoperapineapple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Thank you. Smog precheck, used CARB Cat, call Mark.

Read a bit about running premium fuel & warming the van up first, too. Going to think about that one.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Yup get van really hot. Drive like you stole it keep it running.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

I just got another car smogged last week. Been using the same shop (test only) for over a decade, really good knowledgeable guy. He said never use gas from Arco or Valero before a smog test -- somehow it is some poorer form of gas.

And like Ahmed said, absolutely get it as hot as you can before the test -- a hot CAT always worked better. And also get your test in the morning, at 8:30AM, when the air is still 20 degrees cooler than in the afternoon. That also provides a margin.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

There might be a bit of wiggle room at the smog station when bringing a 49 state vehicle into Cali-smog-a-fornia for the first time.

I'd prolly contact the contacts given here before dropping coin on Cali stuff for their opinion.

I would ,however, be prepared to be Cali compliant for the next smog cert two yrs from now.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

silversync wrote:
I just got another car smogged last week. Been using the same shop (test only) for over a decade, really good knowledgeable guy. He said never use gas from Arco or Valero before a smog test -- somehow it is some poorer form of gas.

And like Ahmed said, absolutely get it as hot as you can before the test -- a hot CAT always worked better. And also get your test in the morning, at 8:30AM, when the air is still 20 degrees cooler than in the afternoon. That also provides a margin.

More importantly, never mix Mobil and Shell gas.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Repair any vacuum leaks and use one gallon of e85 on a full tank.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

FWIW (perhaps not much) but in all the years I lived in California I never had trouble passing nor had any questions raised about my 49-state Westy.
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

Hey Orange County, CA here.

I got my car 8 years ago and I knew i had to replace the gas tank seals and sending unit when I got her. The first time I filled my tank up it just flowed like niagara falls so I have been filling up around 6 gallons at a time. Also you can smell the gas vapors leaking somewhere and my gas would evaporate if it was sitting for a very long time lol. So last week I finally failed my CA EVAP test...My first 2 tests I always passed since the smog technician would put N/A for EVAP since he could not "locate" the charcoal canister and he didn't have an adapter that would fit Very Happy This time comes around my original smog technician is no longer there and I had to try another place down the street. I forgot to ask if he was going to do the EVAP test so I wait for about 1hr and I fail. I guess he did have an adapter that fit.....I was kind of upset because I thought our cars are exempt but he showed me some "Bar" stuff online and said no that's not true. I had to pay $50 and now get my car fixed. I go talk to another smog tech down street and he said our cars are exempt but didn't want to pass me because he might get flagged.......I don't know who to believe now but i knew i had to get my car fixed anyways. So I bought a new gas tank, reseal kit, sending unit, charcoal canister, check valve for canister, evap check valves and had my mechanic install everything. My mechanic said I didn't have to change out my tank really but since it was 30 years old it's a good idea. My evap tanks were still good too. So I come back to get smogged and I pass. I was just trying to buy time but I'm glad I failed because my car smells great and my fuel gauge is accurate now. I will not go back to that smog place anymore and will just go the ones that will not do the EVAP TEST Wink
4spd
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: California Move - Chances of passing smog? Reply with quote

I can recommend Mark as well Excellent Mechanic!! Additionally, if you're in need of a CA Catalytic converter / 02 sensor I have both and willing to part ways with them for little money. They were installed 2 years ago and used for approximately 6,000 miles. Just removed as i am in the process of doing a Subaru conversion. PM me if you're in need of the CA CAT / 02 sensor, as I just need them gone.....and I live in SD....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: