Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

I would seriously be thinking of a vacation to....

MINNESOTA! right now.

Hope all goes well for you and yours.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
I would seriously be thinking of a vacation to....

MINNESOTA! right now.

Hope all goes well for you and yours.

Dan

lol yea.. that would be nice.. but.. not on our budget that just got blown out of water with storm supplies..
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

I once thought of moving to Fla. And I actually looked for a property w/ a garage setup like a bunker. Very Happy

STay Safe, Jet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
I once thought of moving to Fla. And I actually looked for a property w/ a garage setup like a bunker. Very Happy

STay Safe, Jet.

still up.. waiting to go to home depot.. hope they got some 2x4s only need a few.. to brace southern wall..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

STay Safe, Jet.
there are many that have bomb shelters from the early 60's.. Shocked 3 months ago a tornado went through hear missed my moms by a block,then2 miles away it missed my sisters by a block...then it missed a friends house by a house or 2 ....I asked him if he went in to the bomb shelter....he had forgot he had it!!!!! he just sat in his bathtub.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
nsracing wrote:

STay Safe, Jet.
there are many that have bomb shelters from the early 60's.. Shocked 3 months ago a tornado went through hear missed my moms by a block,then2 miles away it missed my sisters by a block...then it missed a friends house by a house or 2 ....I asked him if he went in to the bomb shelter....he had forgot he had it!!!!! he just sat in his bathtub.

omg.. how the hell ya forget that.. man room.. .. stay safe..
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

vwjetboat and Mark Tucker, you guys OK?

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
vwjetboat and Mark Tucker, you guys OK?

Dan

Dumb question, I guess, millions without power.....

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

JetBoat lives in St Johns county which is just south of me. According to the local news, 50% of that county is still without power. It may be a week or more before the entire county gets power back.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

Got power last night little after midnight and just got internet .. all is good.. little damage here and there.. nothing major tho..
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

Any update, Boat?

How is weather and things down there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Any update, Boat?

How is weather and things down there?

still trying to clean up the mess hurricane left.. it will be a few more weeks before i can get back to where I was at when storm hit... I lost some parts that were on porch that I thought I had put up .. but in the rush to get house secure I left some parts on porch.. and if I bore block.. I can not put together right away.. that was plan..
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

engine, boat & boring bar are all on hold till I physically get better to get out and clean up the mess and repair porch.. and replace parts that i screwed up and left out.. but then I was busy trying to save trailer as in board up stow crap then pinched nerve in neck.. and I am still fuked up from it..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

last picture.. you can see how high the water got on the cabinet.. just noticed
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

Good luck. I'm just getting everything with my house back to the way it was before we got flooded in Sandy. My parents are still fighting with the insurance company and that was years ago.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

I made my own boring bars for 25hp-36hp-356 engine blocks. As you know, the later Tru Line boring bars have their
cutters in the wrong location than the earlier blocks since the later blocks are longer and the bearing saddles are in
different locations. I made up 4 = .010, .020, .040, .060. I made them out of drill rod material so they are resistant
to wear and the bronze bushings in the holders are a full 1" long. Cheers. Mr. Okrasa Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

I am still on hold till I get porch cleaned up and a place to try mine.. I still need to find a junk case to practice on.. but due to nerve damage in right arm I am kinda screwed right now on getting porch cleaned up till I can get something done
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

We have a boring bar at my work my boss made for boring 13 Inches deep.
It was a simple, round bar stock machined with a slot so a solid turning tool could be set in with set screws, and then an offset bearing kind of sticking off to the side. I’ll post a pic of it today when I get to work.
There’s actually a plethora of home made boring bars among other hand fabricated tools at my work , all made by my boss.

This is the type of tool used for the actual insert.

Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

These exact bars might not work for your job but maybe some of the principles can be applied to the tool you build, hope this helps a little.
Also I was wrong about the bearing being offset .

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SO who has made their own boring bar, thrust cutter ? Reply with quote

well I spent the past few days cleaning porch ... over did it and now stiff as a board .. hopefully I can get back on this project in a few weeks.. still have to find a junk case to practice on..
As someone said.. I should have had those plastic parts made with a tapper.. so now that I am working on new printer.. when its done that will be one of the first things I make...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: