Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

White 1974 Bug build "Kirby"
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjplumer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

Looking good. Keep up the good work.
Current VW: 1974 VW Bug(Standard) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8505350#8505350
Previous VW: 1971 VW Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LMT_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

Tom Butler wrote:
They actually sell the rubber to re cover those running boards if you are at all interested. I think I got mine from like cip 1. something like 15-20 bucks I think.

Looks good. I really need to replace my hoses and breathers from my filler to tank.

you have inspired me.

I thought about the rubber mats and just plain replacements, but I am trying to skimp now as I spent a little to much on odds and ends and some actual issues. Brakes, Engine, entire front end - so now trying to use what I have to finish it up and let the kiddo take over. Once she is done with it and if we decide to keep it I will do a full/proper build.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

I think the skateboard tape for the running boards is a fantastic idea. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
LMT_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

Few more things this weekend.

Repaired the fresh air box with new cables from ebay seller and new foam from WW. Got OE wash fluid rubber hoses need to connect that up, looks like my spare tire is flat though.

Installed rear floor heater flaps and cabled them up, installed new insulation on rear heater "Y" tubes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dunked seat belts in soapy water and cleaned up, still need passenger front one as I tried to take that apart to fix and got a coil to the face Smile.

Installed carpet that I took out originally in rear storage area w/ 77 spay glue from Home Depot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did the same with the rear carpet. Replaced with new parts: heater knobs, rubber shift boot, seat track bushings, front visors, plastic e-brake handle.

Having some issues with the front floor cables that I need to figure out - the flaps are super tight inside heater channel so I need to add some more "tie downs" to the cable to reduce cable movement since it isn't moving the flap so much. Got some felt strips from Home Depot to put on the flaps once I figure it out.

Getting close for this project to be done and have the kiddo make it her daily driver.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

also please check out link at bottom of this post regarding safety wire and engine fjres. Please adress this fire issue on your Bug. Hate to see all your hard work and this swell Bug be lost to a fire.

Keep Up the Fine Work. Bug On!

Ps... Where does the dust bag go Kirby? Ha ha ha ha

have a great day, I like stories like yours, fixing up a Bug for your Kid!

Great!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
LMT_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

I think the PO took off the bag man. I have found some debris in some crazy places in this thing cleaning it all out. Most definatly need to look at adding one back Very Happy hahaha

Thanks for the encouragement this has been really fun, especially when I hear her say "wow this is hard work". Maybe she will upkeep it better since she has put some sweat equity into it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: White 1974 Bug build "Kirby" Reply with quote

LMT_ wrote:
I think the PO took off the bag man. I have found some debris in some crazy places in this thing cleaning it all out. Most definatly need to look at adding one back Very Happy hahaha

Thanks for the encouragement this has been really fun, especially when I hear her say "wow this is hard work". Maybe she will upkeep it better since she has put some sweat equity into it.

I put sweat equity into my first car at age 15 when my Dad told me I could have his Bug, with a blown motor and gear popping out tranny, Him and me rebuilt both, ready to go by the time I was driving, that was 4 decades ago, I still have that Bug, Having to fix it up made me want to take great care of it, I never plan to sell it. Too much sweat equity, and fond memories. From day one, Id park at the far end of parking lots just to avoid door dings, washed it all the time, over did the maintnece, changing oil and adjusting valves ahead of schedule. Its like a family member.

Bugs Are Great, Good Job you are doing.

of all the folks that comment on my old Bug, one common commet is a stranger telling me he or she used to have a Bug, and nearly all tell me they regret selling it.

Bug On! Your Daughter is very lucky to have you doing this for and with her.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: