Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Washington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

Asking for a friend who has either a 69 or a 70, he's not sure. He needs a new decklid and I'm not sure what years would fit.

It's not a show car, so I don't mind if this or that piece of trim doesn't match up, just want to know what years will bolt right on and snap open and shut without issue.

Also, if someone has one to sell in the Midatlantic, I'm looking.

Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

68-79 have the same shape, and would bolt to the body in the same way. 68 wouldn't have any louvers, while through the years, more and more were added. The way the latch mounts in the decklid is different from early to late, but they all "catch" on the apron the same. 69-71 would look the same, but I would personally get a mid 70's on because it would have more cooling louvers. Put a wanted ad in the classifieds, and you maybe able to come across something somewhat local.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

I have a rear deck lid from a 73. I live in SW Virginia. If interested, let me know

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

The below are for US spec Beetles:
    '68-'69 = (1500SP) no vents (convertibles had deck vents because they didn't have the slots below the rear window)
    '70 = (1600SP) two sets of vents
    '71~ = (1600DP) four sets of vents

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

Frank, if you're anywhere near Lorton, VA, Buggy Man has multiple louvered deck lids that will fit your year. His prices tend to be pretty reasonable.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
The below are for US spec Beetles:
    '68-'69 = (1500SP) no vents (convertibles had deck vents because they didn't have the slots below the rear window)
    '70 = (1600SP) two sets of vents
    '71~ = (1600DP) four sets of vents

Cool... So, 70 was the only Sedan year with two rows? I always thought 68 was the only non-louvered lid, and the 4 rows didn't start till 72.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

My brother's 71 Beetle, bought new from the dealer, had two sets of louvers on the decklid.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Cool... So, 70 was the only Sedan year with two rows? I always thought 68 was the only non-louvered lid, and the 4 rows didn't start till 72.

Thru 69 year model had NO vents.

70 and 71 had TWO vents.

72+ had FOUR vents.

This is for sedan-- as previously mentioned the convertibles were different.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like it was '72~ that came with four sets of vents for non-convertibles. I found a '71 SB brochure w/ 2 sets of vents:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here is the convertible w/ 4.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

you can still find brand new decklids from mexico or brazil. only the louvers' spacing differ between the two, but in your application it would make no difference.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Decklids - what years interchange with 69/70? Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
you can still find brand new decklids from mexico or brazil. only the louvers' spacing differ between the two, but in your application it would make no difference.

Yeah, decklids with either no vents or 4 vents are available new.

And "some" of us traded a dented 1971 convertible decklid with 4 vents for a pristine 2-vent decklid 39 years ago !!!! I have lid standoffs on this to compensate for the reduced air vents.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: