Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone know this car?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOPELPICKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

Been looking at getting something different. Never had an aircooled car and thought the below would be a nice pick up.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/rat-rod-hot-rod-custom/6225129283.html
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

So I take it you're the seller?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

Ugh. I really want to be nice, but that car is ugly. I guess I'm just now realizing that the fenders are what make bugs attractive to me.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LOPELPICKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

No im not the seller. I may offer the seller a trade though. i thought it just looked cool and this being a popular site was hoping someone knew the car or your thoughts on it.
LOPELPICKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Ugh. I really want to be nice, but that car is ugly. I guess I'm just now realizing that the fenders are what make bugs attractive to me.

My wife thought the same thing. She doesnt like it at ALL haha.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

I do like it , it's different and different is good. Very Happy
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

I like it. Be a good car to drive tourists around Havana. I would go with a different color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

looks like they spent a lot of time, money, and effort to get that thing into disgusting shape. But hey, look here, SOMEONE is actually interested in it. Life is full of surprises....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
LOPELPICKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

What do you guys think of the pricing he is asking for it?
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

To me it's just a novelty car. Good for maybe promoting a business or a 4th of July parade when it's sunny outside. I might take it for $3K if I were moving to Havana.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

LOPELPICKS wrote:
What do you guys think of the pricing he is asking for it?

For 8k you could get 3 cars that shitty....maybe 4.
I know time is money and they obvs spent a lot of time getting it that ugly but NO WAY is it worth that much.
When people hack apart cars they are basically saying: This heap of metal is worthless, I am gonna make something of it.
If that is the case they should plan on keeping the car for themselves and having fun with it. Being from CT it probably started life as a rusted out hulk of a convertible.
If you actually want that thing low-ball the hell out of them. I bet they are entertaining all of ZERO offers on it right now.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

LOPELPICKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies gents. I felt the price was a bit steep, but did not want to make this assumption without a bit of research. Ive owned plenty of VWs but never an air cooled one. Currently I have a MK4 R32 but Im bored of it. Want something different.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
looks like they spent a lot of time, money, and effort to get that thing into disgusting shape. But hey, look here, SOMEONE is actually interested in it. Life is full of surprises....

Wow, dude. You must be a real riot at parties. This is the third random post I've seen today where you respond and you're quite quick to spew the negativity around. Sheesh. Someone likes something you don't; so what? I chuckled at your sarcasm in my post earlier chalking it up to just a little jab but now reading on it would seem as though you surf just to throw your opinion around......and it's a negative one at that.

Shit, dude that's lame as hell. Haha

Amazing.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

New2me69 wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Wow, dude. You must be a real riot at parties. This is the third random post I've seen today where you respond and you're quite quick to spew the negativity around. Sheesh. Someone likes something you don't; so what? I chuckled at your sarcasm in my post earlier chalking it up to just a little jab but now reading on it would seem as though you surf just to throw your opinion around......and it's a negative one at that.

Amazing.

I like to think i get some chuckles at the occasional soiree. I was just jabbin at you man. Your car is sweet, and I brought up the nerf bars before. I knew you'd get it.
Anywho did you click that link? C'mon man that is garbage. Like I said, it was probably a scrap heap they turned into a nice cruiser, but, my statement stands. Custom cars, rat rods, chopped cars...they take skill and time to do right. That said NO ONE doing that to cars should expect a return on investment, profit, or even DECENT money to be spent onit in the future. You are betting that other people will have your style. $8k is alot for that thing, especially considering whatever mods have been done to the running gear, electrical, etc. It could be a nightmare with a nice paint job.
there is an entire "abortions" thread on this site highlighting this shit. I have seen some very impressive custom cars on this forum that I have tipped my cap to, but wouldn't accept even as a gift. Thats just me personally. I like to have a manual and repair guide to help me out, not just guessing at aftermarket parts thrown at a car.
When that top rips or some asshole in Bridgeport puts a few knife holes in it where does he go for a new top? A STOCK VW vert top costs like $5k to do right. So this goes to a "custom" shop and comes out looking like shit. Then what?
Its a whole separate ball game, and OP should know that.
This won't be like runnning to the part store/ dealership for MK4 parts.
If it was $4k and for someone's weekend enjoyment or a circus to use for a clown car I say go for it. $8k is steep for a toy when you can buy a classic in decent shape for that.
Dune buggy's seldom go for that much unless its a damn race car underneath with a crazy engine, and even then, you are basically buying the running gear, the fiberglass body is an afterthought.
At any rate, i try to post to help people, when not asking my own questions, even if I'm being an asshole in the process. When an old lady backs into your car at the grocery store parking lot and ruins your fender, tail light, and decklid, you will realize I was right and chuck those nerf bars into the sea.

asiab3 wrote:

New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
New2me69 wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Amazing.

I like to think i get some chuckles at the occasional soiree. I was just jabbin at you man. Your car is sweet, and I brought up the nerf bars before. I knew you'd get it.
Anywho did you click that link? C'mon man that is garbage. Like I said, it was probably a scrap heap they turned into a nice cruiser, but, my statement stands. Custom cars, rat rods, chopped cars...they take skill and time to do right. That said NO ONE doing that to cars should expect a return on investment, profit, or even DECENT money to be spent onit in the future. You are betting that other people will have your style. $8k is alot for that thing, especially considering whatever mods have been done to the running gear, electrical, etc. It could be a nightmare with a nice paint job.
there is an entire "abortions" thread on this site highlighting this shit. I have seen some very impressive custom cars on this forum that I have tipped my cap to, but wouldn't accept even as a gift. Thats just me personally. I like to have a manual and repair guide to help me out, not just guessing at aftermarket parts thrown at a car.
When that top rips or some asshole in Bridgeport puts a few knife holes in it where does he go for a new top? A STOCK VW vert top costs like $5k to do right. So this goes to a "custom" shop and comes out looking like shit. Then what?
Its a whole separate ball game, and OP should know that.
This won't be like runnning to the part store/ dealership for MK4 parts.
If it was $4k and for someone's weekend enjoyment or a circus to use for a clown car I say go for it. $8k is steep for a toy when you can buy a classic in decent shape for that.
Dune buggy's seldom go for that much unless its a damn race car underneath with a crazy engine, and even then, you are basically buying the running gear, the fiberglass body is an afterthought.
At any rate, i try to post to help people, when not asking my own questions, even if I'm being an asshole in the process. When an old lady backs into your car at the grocery store parking lot and ruins your fender, tail light, and decklid, you will realize I was right and chuck those nerf bars into the sea.

LOL

I don't disagree with most of your statements however I tend to keep my thoughts to myself and grind my teeth.

As far as my nerf bars go, I doubt a bumper would help much either as the thing is so low. I do honestly prefer bumpers but again, so much more to do first.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

Why are they referring to something that's relatively well-finished and clean with shiny new paint a rat rod? I really wish people would stop throwing that buzzword around.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone know this car? Reply with quote

New2me69 wrote:

As far as my nerf bars go, I doubt a bumper would help much either as the thing is so low.

I was tapped at a red light by some valley girl on her phone texting a couple years back. The bumper was the difference between banging a bumper back to straight in the driveway the next afternoon and a trip to the body shop and hours on the phone with insurance companies.
The bumpers really don't offer a lot of protection but they are better than NOTHING, which is what the nerf bars are. They are hole fillers.
I hope you don't ever have to find out.
Boston is home to the Nation's WORST drivers and I would never dispute it. I have been hit at a COMPLETE standstill more times than many on this forum have ever been in accidents PERIOD. It is disgusting. Look in my Gallery for pics of what an old lady did to me, BACKING UP at a stop light, after she scraped her car the full length of the side of the Benz in front of her, then thought the best course was to reverse and slam into me. This at a STOP LIGHT dude. It boggles the mind.
This is what makes us Massholes so salty. Every drive is a life threatening adventure. I don't skydive, bungee jump, white water raft, shoot heroin, or join the military. A cruise around town is enough for me.
/end rant.

asiab3 wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: