Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche A brakes on a stock beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Porsche A brakes on a stock beetle Reply with quote

I started to assemble my pan on my 52 Zwitter. My plans are to use my early A brakes and my stroker 36 that I built a while back. I have been reading up on the brake install and want to make sure I have everything correct. So if any of you have done this before could you please chime in and give me some advise.

So my liners all look to be at 280mm. I rebuilt all 6 of my original 356 wheel cylinders and am running a ATE 19mm master cylinder that I rebuilt. My shoes are new as well.

When installing the fronts do I use VW bearing both inner and outer on my stock VW spindles?

Rears, are there any modifications I need to do to run the E-brake? I have new e brake cables that I am installing.

Do I need to use a spacer under the axle nut, if I use 356 axle nuts?

Is there a space that works well (safety and longevity) that can be used with the stock VW axle nut?

I have the old style with the oil slingers, is there a modification I have to do to install them?

Can I run the stock VW bearing cover? if so do I have to modify it or add an additional spacer behind it?

Is is better to run 356 bearing covers? Are there any mods when using these?

Any help is gladly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche A brakes on a stock beetle Reply with quote

On the rear axle… the VW backing plates are thinner than on the 356. So your VW bearing covers are too deep. You need to either machine down the VW bearing covers… or fit the less deep 356 version. There are a lot of different thickness bearing covers (356 a, pre a, c, vw type 1, 2, 3, etc etc… )… so be careful what you choose. measure the thicknesses of the VW set up… and then modify that to fit the porsche thicknesses… or find porsche covers that calibrate out to the correct thickness. (the difference between the porsche and the vw backing plate thickness)

Keep in mind that the vw covers will actually bolt up… but that the bearing will be loose in there and that's not good.

The front shouldn't be an issue at all… basically bolt on. early 356 bearings fit the early VW spindle and visa versa. Porsche used VW spindles on the cars… they may in fact be the same bearings.

I can't remember the ebrake cables being a problem… I think the same cables fit either set up. Not sure. If not there is an easy solution.. because this was not an issue for me twenty years ago when I did it!

here is a link to stoddard's page: http://www.stoddard.com/356/rear-suspension/rear-suspension-components.html

Porsche used Rear axle nuts with a wide flange… see http://www.stoddard.com/64433227100.html
One cool crazy cat
a yard full of fruit trees
26 chairs for some reason
a crapload of old shoes
a lot of books on history of the Mexican Ranchos
200+ kamax bolts... stacked in rows
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche A brakes on a stock beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the knowledge, I really appreciate it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: