Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

ClareSutton wrote:
I have reviewed this topic in the Samba forum and have tried everything
[…]
- sprayed WD-40 every couple of hours from 4 days before trying

No one else picked up on this, but why not PBlaster or the devil's own brew of ATF and acetone? Those get so much love here, I am surprised not to see them mentioned.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

Is PBlaster the same as WD-40? Penetrating oil? Never heard of ATV ( I assume Auto Trans Fluid) with Acetone. This helps to free up frozen nuts and bolts? Interesting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

ClareSutton wrote:
Is PBlaster the same as WD-40?

No. WD40 is fairly ineffective as a penetrating oil - PBlaster is much better though it takes time for it to work (hours, better still days of soaking).

There may be other products that are superior (some say Kroil) but PBlaster has always worked well for me and you can get it anywhere (even Wal*Mart).

That said - your problem may not be one of corrosion or adhesion but rather torque and possibly no penetrant will be able to help.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

Yeah WD40 is useless for this app, acetone /ATF applied over a week will creep in.

Heat and impact driver will work. You need the impact to break the rust , not torque. No hammers, crappy plate tools, etc.

Once it is off, clean it up and grease it to keep this job easy
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

PB blaster is the BOSS of rusty crap.. it DOES WORK
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

This Machinist's Workshop magazine study of various penetrating oils is quoted in many places but I can't find the original article. In this forum the writer added a price comparison, although they are 2005 prices.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1078040
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

Though ive never tried it there has been no mention of putting the breaker bar on the nut with the bar on the ground and then put the van in gear ( 1st or reverse depending on which side) and pop the clutch. ? Thoughts?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Though ive never tried it there has been no mention of putting the breaker bar on the nut with the bar on the ground and then put the van in gear ( 1st or reverse depending on which side) and pop the clutch. ? Thoughts?

I have taken many crankshaft bolts out that way.. it might work on the wheel nut..
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:

That's what I was thinking, you'd need a skateboard under the end of the breaker bar though so as the vehicle rolled the end of the breaker bar would not dig into the ground.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

Ok, day 2, passenger side rear axle hub. Yesterday I finally got the drivers side hub nut off so today I started the passenger side. After a few hours of soaking in BLASTER as suggested earlier I started with my impact wrench. Next I tried the 4 foot pry bar on the 46mm socket with lots of heat. No dice. Before I started chiseling with the ball pean I had a thought. Could these nuts be different threads?, one right hand and the other left hand?? Do they both come off counter clockwise regardless of the side? I would think they are the same. Could someone confirm this for me before I go back to it? I have continued to spray with blaster all day.
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

same
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

do you have an Air Chisel ? put a blunt round tipped chisel in it and vibrate the hell out of the end of the shaft..
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, guys. I can get an air chisel. Might give this a try too.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

Ok, here's my issue with pounding on this nut and why I recommend cutting it off if shear torque will not remove it.

Brinelling.....

Look it up, it is damage that can be caused by impact upon a bearing.
When you whack hard on that axle nut, you run a very real risk of damaging the bearing because of that impact.

Turn that nut, don't beat the living crap out of it!

My two cents anyway.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

I think we beat Brinnel college my senior year ...

For those of you trying to use engine torque to take that nut off, a gas engine will put out roughly the same torque in ft lbs as it does net HP , so compare that to the breaker bar. Of course, you can give it a nice shock by lurching it forward but that sounds Like a good way to break some things.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

With my breaker bar and long cheater pipe I can exert over 2000 ft-lbs of torque. I've always found removing the axle nuts to be downright easy without even using any heat, penetrating oil, or hammering on the bearings, etc...
vers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

I haven't seen this tool mentioned yet. This has always worked for me and allows use of breaker bar or a sledgehammer.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1216_335/46mm_axle_nut_tool.html
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

I'm with Andrew. I have an 8' pipe that is undefeated in applying leverage. I showed my kiddos the principles of leverage with it. I could not loosen a WBX crank pulley bolt while they watched me stand and bounce on the breaker bar. Then I inserted the pipe over it and handed it to my 95lb daughter and she easily broke it loose. Pick up a fence post at your local hardware store. They make thin crap ones and thicker nicer ones.

The safety comments are worthy. Full protection should be the call. If you've never had a power tool break, and watched the destruction it causes, then you'll have to be smart enough to absorb the concept without the bleeding. I know that's hard to do because we humans are visual. Even if you're very intelligent. But close your eyes and visualize yourself dropping the tool in pain, straightening up and seeing a huge bloodstain on your pant leg growing rapidly. Yelling for your wife. The drive to the hospital. The $8900 medical bill. A month before you can even go back to the garage to clean up and begin again on something you were only 90 seconds from finishing.

That is real and happens every single day somewhere near you. If you do something unsafe once in a while just because its faster, consider changing that. If you want to get old like some of us here and still enjoy wrenching, know that the statistic of cutting corners will eventually catch up to you simply because you enjoy this enough to do it often enough that the statistic will actually happen. If you're a hacker - fine, the statistic may not come to visit.

Off the stump.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

vers13 wrote:
I haven't seen this tool mentioned yet. This has always worked for me and allows use of breaker bar or a sledgehammer.

ClareSutton wrote:
I am trying to remove the hubs to replace the brake backing plates for safety check.

OP is not changing bearings, so not the best idea to hit the bearings with a sledgehammer. Lots of VW folks do though, and swear by it. I did it years ago, and it didn't cause instant death, my bearings still seemed OK when I sold the van.

But nowhere else in mechanikking is it OK to hit bearings (that will be used, relied upon, and run for as long as possible, etc) with a sledgehammer. There ya have it.

I'd needle-grease your bearings, at least. If you've never serviced your rear wheel bearings now is a good time. I did not disassemble my rear bearings, just pushed out the old black grease with a needle greaser. Probably good to do every 100,000 miles (or 50).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Rear Wheel Hub Nuts Reply with quote

vers13 wrote:

Only in the second post of the thread - flogging wrench Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: