Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sheet metal question...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

HI all, I want to start working on this rust repair on my 78. I found a donor vehicle (same year), and was thinking on just cutting the panels from it as it is a dry bus. he wants 600 for all the sheetmetal I need. both sides down the middle of the bus, both rear quarter panels for the wheel wells, and both rear pieces that are on the back of the front wheel wells, and the whole slider door. I have seen some repair panels from EIS parts, that would probably do the trick, but I want to see if the original sheet metal would be a stronger/better option vs the internet stuff? kinda weird question... but I trust your guys opinions on this site... thanks in advance
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Original metal is better. Is the donor shell better than your bus? Perhaps you could just swap your stuff into his shell. You probably already thought of that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
both sides down the middle of the bus, both rear quarter panels for the wheel wells, and both rear pieces that are on the back of the front wheel wells, and the whole slider door.

By using original panels you don’t have to worry about modifying the panels to make them fit. Just make sure that the donor panels were cut clean and right.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Original panels will be so much better than the aftermarket, some of the aftermarket panels are shit imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

I only use original metal when possible, if not I go to the best quality parts I can find, and those aren't usually sold through the normal places that sell junk.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

ok... I figured that was going to be the unanimous opinion... thanks guys. I need a lot from this donor, so hopefully he will make me a good deal. tanks a million...
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Who is your donor? I need more pieces cut for my '78

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

I bought a donor bus,$400, it was a rusted heap,best $400, I ever spent on parts,Try to get the complete donor bus from seller.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Something about the old German steel makes it "work" easier when hammering out dents, welding etc. the steel used in most parts today seems IMO "brittle or stiff" . Even when fixing rust damage I always preferred sheet metal from a donor vehicle to new metal. I believe it has something to do with the smelting process.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Matt, it really sucks they cannot release the entire bus, so you are really at their mercy. Try to convince them not to use the Oxy-Ace torch... even though they say they'll cut six inches above what you need.

Get a carborundum blade for a Skil saw, set the depth of the blade to 1/4 inch, then snap out chalk string lines on the body and make nice smooth cuts. Use a Sawzall to reach into the pockets and cut the weird angles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

OG by a mile, and follow the above recommendations for proper cutting.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

It unanimous that original is better.

However, I sure wish people WOULDNT cut up good solid busses.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Hi all, after pleading with the owner, they decided to sell the whole bus. I went down this morning and bought it... yikes... its SUPER SUPER dry... the cargo floor looks ridicoulsy clean. The only rot is the rear corners and the battery tray. No motor or trans, and no middle or rear seats. Missing bumpers, and steering wheel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Champagne anyone?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636023&highlight=champagne+edition
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

What is the M-Plate numbers?
M-Plate Location
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

So glad you could work that out. Just the jewelry alone (hasps, latches, cranks, glass, knobs, etc.) is worth the fight for it.

Not sure if you can get this moved through DMV to get it registered again, but if so IMO this would have WAY more value in the end if it was restored to a daily driver.

But I think we talked about that... Very Happy
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

I am definitely going to try to get it back registered before the cut.. but wasted youth... weren't we talking about the pain and misery of the swap?!!! Shocked
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

Nice! Champagne edition. My vote is don't cut it up if at all possible.
A dry Champaign edition should be saved!
STUNNED MULLET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

I like to refer to it as sham pag knee.... LOL!!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: sheet metal question... Reply with quote

STUNNED MULLET wrote:
I am definitely going to try to get it back registered before the cut.. but wasted youth... weren't we talking about the pain and misery of the swap?!!! Shocked

Yes! That is truly a fair amount of work. However... comparing the sheetmetal work needed on the Tahoe bus with the mechanical work of moving the Tahoe's power train over to the Champagne's, I would definitely go with building up the Champagne. Plus, you get a sunroof CE-2! Total score!

Arrow Put it to the community. Post several pics of the Tahoe rust and Poll the audience.

Exclamation BUT... that plan only works with getting the CE-2 out of whatever Title situation it's in and on to some path of actualization.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: