Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Convertible
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Hi

I just got a 1965 Convertible. I wanted one for a long time and finally I found one. It is in no way perfect, but should be a good basis for at running project. This weekend I´ll take the car in the workshop. Hopefully there will be no bad surprices Shocked .

Regards

Tomas

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
89 Audi Coupé 2,3E, first owner: VW AG
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Sweet!

I hope there are no ugly surprises found at the shop.

That's a nice looking car.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

I see she already has her top off. Hello beautiful.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Tomas - from what I see - looks pretty nice.

You need a hood ornament

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Cusser,

Was she on set with you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

You are right! The hood ornament is missing Shocked

But should she be 65 or from 1965 to be original to the car...? Very Happy

I did not go to the garage in the weekend due to bad weather, but I did take some pictures of the car when I saw it on the first visit.

It looks pretty solid, but bigger issues can still turn up.

Regards

Tomas

72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

The car was quite dirty, so I cleaned the front of the car.

It looked like this:

After cleaning:

Some repair has been done, but no rust so far. Paintwork is at least 10 years old.

Regards

Tomas
72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Nice job on the detailing. What did you use?

Does the car have a stock air filter/ oil bath? I'd be interested in seeing that if you get to it. Thanks
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

That's a fine looking car. It all seems to be in very good shape.
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Yes, I think that I did get a nice car without to much work.

It passed roadinspection last year without any remarks.

I just cleaned it with some standard windowcleaner, I did not use something special, it was not nessesary in this case. The motor is from 1961, I´ll post a picture of it when I have one.

I put another spare tire in the car, with lemmerz beautyring and a round toolbox. It is earlier parts than the year 1965, but I think it looks nice.

regards

Tomas

72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

The steel under your Convertible is to die for. But I have to ask, above
the rear of your support rails seems like there's a lot of open space for water to get in to.
But you scored big time on this one. I love my '60, but your under carriage looks amazing Shocked
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Hi

I was looking for a pre 1964 Convertible, I like the styling on the old convertibles, but I guess i have to settle with a 1965 Very Happy

Yes, I think I may have been lucky with this one, the seller claimed that the car was rust free, but I´ve heard that before...

I know what you mean, there is no rust in the car so far, but there has been done some metalwork on the car at some point. I think the gab you see on the picture is a result of a job on the rear of the car. I´ll check it out when I get the car in the workshop. I should probably close it to minimize the rist for rust and rot in the future.

What about the big round hole in the supportrail and the panel above? Should that be closed in some way?

Regards

Tomas
72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

I don't have a hole in the rear of my support rail's like you do, nor would I want one. I would close that up and any other hole's or void's for water to to get into. When your buzzing down the road driving thru a puddle or caught in the rain your tires are going to be slinging water non stop in those areas. scary thought.
The name of the product escape's me at the moment but there is an aerosol spray with a long tube for rust prevention that I would use to get in there and spray the heck out of before sealing up, just to stop or slow down that ever nagging rust knocking at your door. Eastwood might have the product I'm thinking of. Here's a pic of scottalfords vert. rails, it's a '59 so maybe they change up the rear on later models? scottalfords thread is great, He's on a sabbatical right now on the project.

zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

I totally agree with you.

The car has been used very little in the past 10 years and kept in a garage. Never driven in rain and only in the summer.

So I think the rails and other parts of the car should get some good antirust treatment very soon.

I know a guy, who works professionally with antirust protection of cars, so I think I will let him take a look at the car. Otherwise, as you suggest, I can do it myself.

I took off the runningboards and it did not look that good:

But luckily, it was mostly dirt, no rust so far:

But I have to take care of area, where the parts are welded together. Its not a problem yet, but water in that area could cause problems later.

Great work by scottalford. Very impressive. That will be an impressive car when finished.

I´m not 100 % sure about the holes in the railsupports, I have seen them on other convertibles, so maybe original? But they have to be closed in some way.

Regards

Tomas
72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
I don't have a hole in the rear of my support rail's like you do, nor would I want one. I would close that up and any other hole's or void's for water to to get into. When your buzzing down the road driving thru a puddle or caught in the rain your tires are going to be slinging water non stop in those areas. scary thought.
The name of the product escape's me at the moment but there is an aerosol spray with a long tube for rust prevention that I would use to get in there and spray the heck out of before sealing up, just to stop or slow down that ever nagging rust knocking at your door. Eastwood might have the product I'm thinking of. Here's a pic of scottalfords vert. rails, it's a '59 so maybe they change up the rear on later models? scottalfords thread is great, He's on a sabbatical right now on the project.

the hole may have been made for access for rust proofing done after the factory build. if so that hole should have a plastic plug placed in it. The hole allowed for the antirust wax to be installed with a long wand type applicator. that might be why the hole is there. and the antirust treatment may explain why the car is so rust free. periodic retreatment with the antirust wax was often needed. so you may wish to retreat the metal now that you have it, and of course get a plastic plug and chaulk it into place once done.

nice little red Bug you have, have fun.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

zwitter53 wrote:

I took off the runningboards and it did not look that good:

There probably aren't many cars that look that good under the running boards. Don't ignore then small rust spots. Treat them so they do not grow.
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Congratulations on your Vert !
Very nice car , did they remove your body tag when painting it ?
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Yes, it might be the case. The holes could be there to rustprotect the inner part of the support rails. Many cars here have extra rustprotection due to our climate.

Yes I agree, its important now to check the car, so that it will not deteriorate.

There has been repairs on the cars front and I think that the bodytag was lost during that. I got a lot of spare parts with the car, originally from this convertible and 2 1965 sedans. I have not yet loooked through it all, but maybe it will turn up.

Some of the parts in my car. I could not have it all with me, so I´ll pick it up some time soon from the seller.

Tomas
72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
zwitter53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

The glovebox was full, took everything out:

Luckily the box looks fine, just needs minor cleaning.

The content of the glovebox included roadmap, Hazet tools, small parts for the car, paperwork, gloves, instruktionbook, an old photo etc:

The old photo s interesting:

Is it my car back in 1989?

Regards

Tomas
72 Audi 100 1,8 LS 4d
83 Audi 200 turbo
85 VW Passat Carat
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Convertible Reply with quote

Nice looking car

I think those vert rails are the old aftermarket ones, it's all we had access to. You could bolt them over your rusty ones or use them for patch pieces. I say that because you are missing the jack points, and they look physically bigger than the originals. Hey - they obviously do the job. I would add the jack point and cap the back but think about leaving a hole front and rear to flush them out. Might be worth it

great clean up job as well
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: