Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thebugkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Speedometers Reply with quote

Are 68-up standard speedometers interchangeable with a 73 superbeetle. Say is it possible to put a 68 standard speedo in a 73 super beetle; what modifications would need to be done to do this if any ?
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the curved windshield supers have a speedometer that is the same size as the flat window type 1s but they are tilted within the case to give a proper line of sight with the deeper dash.

So yes the older ones will fit in the opening but may not look correct.
Thebugkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! If anyone knows any different please give some more info!

Thanks, thebugkid
Thebugkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

Maybe even a picture of how it would look would be cool, can't find one anywhere
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

The speedometer in a curved window Super Beetle is held in by a rubber ring and pushes in from inside the cabin, while the speedometer on a standard Beetle is held in by clips and screws and is mounted from behind the dash.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dpugh777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

i have a 73 super beetle and i have no clue how to get at the speedometer in order to check its functionality as its currently not working anyone have any clue on how to do this or direct me to a video or something
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

dpugh777 wrote:
i have a 73 super beetle and i have no clue how to get at the speedometer in order to check its functionality as its currently not working anyone have any clue on how to do this or direct me to a video or something

Open trunk remove dash cover you will see back of speedometer. Should be cable going into center.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometers Reply with quote

Nope. The speedometer in a 1973 Super Beetle is accessed from the inside of the cabin. Not the front trunk.

To gain access to the speedometer, first remove the two side trim pieces of the faceplate. These small side pieces are removed by wedging a screwdriver under them, and carefully prying.

Then remove the two screws on each exposed side of the faceplate, and the one screw in the center (five screws in all). Each screw should have a small collar. Don’t lose the collars.

The faceplate can now be walked off the dash. Walk it just enough so that you can get your hand behind each switch, and press the tabs at the back of the bottom and top of each switch, and pull the switch toward the trunk. Leave the wires attached, or mark them exactly where they go and remove the wires. I just keep the switch wires attached to the switches.

Now, with the the faceplate free from the switches, remove it. You can see the side of the speedometer now. Get your hand—if small— behind the speedometer and turn the speedometer cable collar until it’s unscrewed, and push it toward the trunk. I have to use needle nose pliers that have a bend in the business end for this, in the beginning, at least. After the collar is loose, I unscrew by hand.

At this point, you can push on the back of the speedometer, toward you, until you’ve exposed the wire connections. Record where each wire connects to the back of the speedometer, and remove them, one by one.

Push the speedometer out all the way toward you.

Note: Remove the ground strap on the battery before doing this procedure.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: