Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

160w solar, too big for a portable panel?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

Hey all!

I've been researching fridges and solar and finally settled on a TF49... while waiting for the fridge to to arrive I've been getting my wiring in order and thinking about the solar components.

I already have a Victron Blue Solar 75/15 MPPT charge controller, which can handle up to 200w of solar. I've run 10awg from the controller to where the wires will; go through the city water port, connected to a PowerWerx PanelPole.

https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-panel-mount-powerpole-housing.

I got a 25ft extension cord with powerpole connectors and will add a powerpole to MC4 adapter to connect the portable solar panel.

I recently was browsing the Solar Blvd website and realized that the only portable panel they have is this 160w model.

https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-160-watt-foldable-12-volt-solar-panel-2/

Is that kind of crazy large? We already have a 200ah AGM 4D battery under the back bench on the passenger side. I've been thinking of getting a 100w Renogy (without controller) or one of the off-brand 120w panels, but then saw this huge one. We did a 72 hour test run using an Engel portable fridge a few weeks ago, with no solar, and while using a laptop, running lights and charging cell phones we only drew down the battery to around 12.3v (started at 12.7). In the winter I'm guessing our energy use would be much higher because of the propex running half the time, but then the fridge wouldn't be working as hard against 80-90 degree temps.

The panel specs say it's 20"x40"x3.25" when folded and weights 40 pounds. Would that even fit up above in a Westy behind the folded bed?

If you're looking for a portable panel with massive wattage this one will work!

Last edited by WestleyTheWesty on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

I have the 120w foldable version from Solar Blvd. I emailed them when it was out of stock and was notified when it came in. If you want to borrow mine for a test drive you are welcome too any time. I hardly use it and have no plans for extended camping this summer.

I've been looking at Powerwerx as well. Going to install something like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

My TF49 has been running continously for over 3 years now with a 100w panel. A 160 portable could be " fixed " with the detachable hinges and pulled down when needed.

You should be good to go!
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

That's a pretty good deal on a 160W panel, might have to pick me up one!
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

Personally, I kinda want one of these flexible units: https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-flexible-bendable-120-watt-12-volt-solar-panel/

Figure I can keep it up on the bunk when not in use since it's so thin.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

The flexible panels as mentioned by timichango work well for me as a portable panel (compact, lightweight, no bulky frames). I've got 75 watts of panel permanently installed on the roof and use a flexible 100 watt panel as an aux. panel when I want to run my Fantastic Fan and fridge (VF 51) forever off the grid or w/out running the engine (150 amp of aux. batteries). I stow the flexible panel between the rear mattress and the engine cover.

I'm sure the 160 watt panel you mention will be fine but it seems pretty bulky. You've got a good base with 200 AH of battery so now you need to determine your load and length of time you want to run on solar/batt. You're fine for weekends but you'll probably need between 100 and 200 watts of solar if you want to run indefinitely on battery power.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, Rick! Might have to take yours for a spin before we commit to a model, and it would be fun to catch up Very Happy

I like the dual port design with a cig lighter and powerpole panel. I saw they also sell a powerpole to cig lighter adapter, but more ports is more better!

PDXWesty wrote:
I have the 120w foldable version from Solar Blvd. I emailed them when it was out of stock and was notified when it came in. If you want to borrow mine for a test drive you are welcome to any time. I hardly use it and have no plans for extended camping this summer.

I've been looking at Powerwerx as well. Going to install something like this:

WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

Thanks John! Maybe I'll just keep it simple and portable.

newfisher wrote:
My TF49 has been running continously for over 3 years now with a 100w panel. A 160 portable could be " fixed " with the detachable hinges and pulled down when needed.

You should be good to go!

WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

I like the idea of flexible since they're so light and can stow anywhere, but then I worry about angling it into the sun, and securing it when it's windy. Hmm...

timichango wrote:
Personally, I kinda want one of these flexible units: https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-flexible-bendable-120-watt-12-volt-solar-panel/

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
I like the idea of flexible since they're so light and can stow anywhere, but then I worry about angling it into the sun, and securing it when it's windy. Hmm...

Anything, including the suitcase panels will blow away in the wind. If wind is a concern, both flexible and suitcase panels should be securely tethered (the flexible panels often have several grommets to assist in this). A tent stake and length of cord would work well for both types of panels in ordinary winds. As for angling it to the sun, I've discovered a few simple ways (against the van, propped on a chair, etc.) to angle the panel into the sun. I usually set it once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

Enjoy!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
slackin' at work
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

wow. that is a good price on the panel.

I run a 150w flexible panel permanently attached to the roof with a
110ah batter and a tf65 that runs 24/7. love it.

only time I have issues are the times I park it in the garage for a few
day to work on it and forget to plug it in to charge.
`84 MK1 GTI
`76 Brasilia
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

I have a 100 watt semi flexible aluminum permanently bonded to the rear section of the pop top. I have the same VE solar controller as you and the Bluetooth dongle which is an awesome upgrade to be able monitor the solar and battery condition on my iPhone, and make any changes to charge rates etc. It keeps the 120 AH battery under the driver seat topped up and the isotherm fridge (same as a TF49) has been running 24/7 for about three months since I installed it all.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

I would go with as big as possible. I like to camp for a week to ten days without having to drive. I have not found that possible with a 100w panel. I have an edgestar 43 qt. It uses about 25 amp hours a day. 100w panel at most will produce 6 amps. So you need a perfect 4 hrs of sun every day. Just to stay even. Probably more like 6 to 8. So what if you are in partial shade, or if its rainning? If you only stay in a spot for a few days then you are ok. Figure out your amps needed per day then go from there. Reading this forum I thought that 100w would be sufficient, I was wrong.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Anything, including the suitcase panels will blow away in the wind.

I own both, 100W suitcase and a 120W flexible (bought the latter when it was on major sale). The suitcase, without question, withstands wind far better than the flexible. Just a breeze can blow the flexible around, which affects its solar absorption. I've yet to need to tether my suitcase for wind; the flexible, on the other hand, I've tethered when it gets merely breezy.

Benefits and drawbacks to both kinds. Just have to decide which is best for you and your adventures (or get both Laughing )

[email protected] wrote:
I have an edgestar 43 qt. It uses about 25 amp hours a day.

Shocked

My ARB doesn't come close to that and my 100W panel easily keeps my 50Ah battery topped off.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

We've got a 100 watt panel and 50 ah Agm house battery with a TF 51 fridge. I accidentally broke my 100 w panel on my way to camping, so it was running at about ¼ of its full load. meaning it put out a total of 1.5 A in full sun. We were off the grid for several days in utah, with lights and fridge running, and the occasional compressor to fill an MTB tire change. That broken panel was sufficient, though it required moving it frequently to maximize it in the sun during the day. Now that i have a new panelvk we get a full 5.5 A on the Morningstar. I think if you are not in continuous clouds, 100w is good, and 160 even better.
Running my TF51 all day brings my battery from 12.8 to 12.5, in clouds. With your battery capacity, you should get plenty of days of reserve in the clouds.
I also moved from Renogy to Suoaki, after failure when mounted outside year round for two years. Two failures and I switched. Renogy gave me refunds for both, but the second time they didn't have a replacement, so I got the Suoaki. Only been 9 month, so no word on long term, but still running strong so far.
Bike as primary transportation
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

So did anyone end up getting this solar suitcase? Reviews?
https://www.solarblvd.com/products/solar-cynergy-160-watt-foldable-12-volt-solar-panel-2/
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

I ended up finding this 130w portable panel with standard MC4 connectors and a carrying case for $265, 30 extra watts compared to the regular Renogy panels on Amazon. It BARELY fits behind the folded upper bunk if you shift the bed forward on the hinge and put the handle-side of the case towards the back. It's tight but it barely worked for us, no guarantees though!

http://www.wisefoodstorage.com/foldable-and-portable-solar-panel.html

Also, I found the coupon code "fbcomeback" and it took off 15% AND gave us free shipping. Give it a try and hopefully the code still works if you're interested in this panel. Our price ended up being just under $200. =)

I was able to get 91w and 17.63v out of it in full sun at a perpendicular angle, and that was with a 25ft 10 guage extension cord! The Anderson Powerpole connectors are sturdy and can handle high amps.

The solar panel hookup decal should be available through GoWesty soon, along with other updated decals.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

Nice. Looks ideal! I'm thinking of going through the flu
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

timichango wrote:

I have one mounted in my luggage cage. I'm planning on mounting it to the underside of the cage. It will have a little shading because of the steel bars but the voltage drop will be minimal. My panel is only 100 watts but it's plenty of juice to keep up with my needs. It will more than sufficiently charge the aux battery with my ARB fridge running. In the summer, my battery reads full when parked in the full sun and with the fridge running. That 120 watt panel will provide lots of power. The flexible panels are great. Light weight, easy to mount etc.

Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 160w solar, too big for a portable panel? Reply with quote

I just ordered the 160w suitcase from Solar Blvd linked at the top. They say it'll ship Friday. The leads coming off their controller are bare so says the sales rep. Looks like using the powerpole socket is the way to go. Can anyone advise whether that requires their special crimping device? I'll post my review/install once I've got it all together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: