Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bavareze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Been working on this project for past year, finally is all running. Had so many problems... leaks, fuel starvation, electrical, brakes etc

Now I'm looking for a fab shop in SoCal with class 11 specs knowledge that can raise ride height, add roll cage and seats and a few other things that are required. Looking to have a car that is score race ready, not attempting to win. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

I strongly recommend Dennis Sletten and his sons Richard and Tim down in the low desert. I was with them last weekend but don't have their contact info ready to send you. I think I can get it for you in a couple of days if you can be patient. They have won championships and have raced Class 11 for decades. They've also offered a SCORE legal Class 11 roll cage kit in DOM or 4130.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Radu, summer is in full swing so I haven't gotten out lately. when it cools down lets meet up in pismo.

Lots of shops in the norther San Diego area that could build you something, but it'll be $$$

Used to visit this shop, they had a winning Class 5: http://www.strategicracingdesigns.com/

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Even if you plan on not being competitive you will still be needing a car durable enough to give you a chance on finishing. My advice is to Not skimp on the basic under carriage,suspension, and foundation of the car as you want a chassi to remain in use for a very long time even if you have to replace body parts, engines, trannys, shocks etc. etc.. I also believe the Sletten Bros. are a good choice as they have been particulary faithful in following the C11 rulebook as it is written which is important let alone being able to finish and podium as they have done. People start taking liberal interpretations of the C11 rules and start building, then end up having to go backwards to conform. It is supposed to be a stock class even though the rules have gone crazy in trying to keep the platform durable in a modern time of torn up deep rutted race courses. Having a proven team such as the Slettens or someone of that caliber who actually podiums and finishes races IN C11 is in my book the most important thing you can do to get at least a workable chassi that will last you years down the road. They will know where the class is going on rule changes also so you can plan in advance on how to keep up with those in Score and in the stateside ORGs even though they usually run hand in hand on rules. Pay for it now or pay for it over and over again as a cheap one falls apart trying to finish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Is building a competitive Class 11 car like building a competitive GT-5 car in the SCCA?
You jack the car up and slide $50,000 under it!
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Building a Class 11 SHOULD BE closer to building a Showroom Stock, except the initial vehicle is not as expensive. I was an SCCA Tech Inspector when Showroom stock was invented and long before any of the GT category was thought of. Maybe more like a vintage Production Class racer. But even a 50 year old Sprite is pretty damned expensive now. And the creative memory involved in Vintage Sports Car racing is so stupid that what is now a vintage "Production" class race car would have been put into Modified Class in the 60s and 70s with the Specials. Leaf springs replaced with 5-links, tubular a-arms, $5K disc brakes to replace the drums and Sprites that run with MGBs.

As is the case with most types of racing, for a Class 11 car, it's generally much better learning-wise and financially for a noob to buy an existing "used" racer in good shape than to start building their own "new" race car. You can often buy a "used" race-ready 11 for $5-10K. Having a shop build one "fresh" is likely to get into the mid-20s in cost before it's race-ready.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member

Last edited by dustymojave on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
bavareze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

thanks for the input. I'll start contacting the shops asking for quotes!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Note my edit done while you were writing your last post.
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

And have you joined up at Class11Coalition.com?
SoCalBajas Member
bavareze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
And have you joined up at Class11Coalition.com?

i have been trying to for 1 year now. Either the reg page won't work or I don't get the activation email. And then when I try again I can't use the same email address because it is "locked" and I eventually ran out of email addresses and I had to give up... if you know any admin then probably they could do it manually for me.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for fab shop in socal to build class 11 bug Reply with quote

Yeah, I have trouble with that site too. Primary reason why I'm not on there real often.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: