Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote oil cooler mounting options
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
From looking at your picts I do not see any missing tin that is necessary for an exposed engine in a Dunebuggy.

Dave, some feel that all that is necessary to properly cool a VW engine is the fan with fan shroud and the 2 tins that go over the top of the cylinders everything else was put there by the VW engineers to give the owner something to take off and throw away in his spare time. Every one of those pieces has a job to do, don't fool yourself!

Unless you drag race only...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

To be honest Joe I don't run gauges any more. I do check from time to time with an inferred gun. You can run 230* oil temps for as long as you can drive till you run out of gas and it won't get too hot to damage the engine. An oil sump only cools the oil 3-4 degrees. Adding additional oil only increases the amount of time it takes to get the oil up to temp. On a 2 hour highway cruise if you had a 10 gallon sump oil temps would still be the same. The purpose of an oil sump is to prevent oil starvation on hard cornering or high RPM use. Oil sumps are not intended to cool the oil.

I strongly suggest everybody read what the oil companies say about using their products and not rely on what is written on a VW forum.

DO NOT confuse normal water temps of a water cooled engine with normal oil temps.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

Back in the late '50s and early '60s GM determined that 230 degrees F was maximum oil temp for the Corvair air cooled engine and they designed and installed a high temp switch to reflect that.

Oils no doubt have improved since then but personally I would not run an engine any more than that. 230 to me is get your foot out of the carb and 250 in my mind would be a "shut 'er down" and let's address this problem now!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

The fan shroud looks to be an aftermarket 36hp clone version - I got dibs on it not having fins inside to direct the cooling air -

bnc
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

One question not yet asked; Do you notice a decrease in performance when you think the engine is hot? IF you are running hot, you would notice a change.

If there are no obstructions to airflow and you have already checked to make sure you aren't running lean and have plugs that are too hot, other than replacing those lower tins there's not much to be done...other than ruin your buggy summer by either worrying too much or pulling your motor to investigate.

Run it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

I am running a Manx clone right now with a 1600 DP stock with just Kadrons and an extractor. It has a stock dog house cooling system including thermostat and all engine tins. I have been checking the oil temp with a heat gun on the oil filter. By the time I stop the Buggy and go around back, the heat gun reads 160 to 166. No doubt it has lost a few degrees by the time I get there but not that much.

I am presently rigging up an industrial quality temp probe to leave in the dipstick hole so will have results on that in a day or two.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

icy80123 wrote:
Tires: 235 55R17
transaxle gearing unkown
no tac at 60 mph maybe 3500-4000?

Kadron/Solex twin carbs, new plugs, wires, pertronix ignitor II with flamethrower coil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Based on tire size noted, the tire diameter would be ~27.2 assuming no low inflation pressure 'squish' that shortens tire height.

Assuming 4.125 final drive & 'stock' trans gearing of
1st - 3.80
2nd - 2.06
3rd - 1.26
4th - 0.89

At 60mph, your revs should be around 2700

Substituting later 3.88 final drive & 'stock' trans gearing of
1st - 3.80
2nd - 2.06
3rd - 1.26
4th - 0.93

At 60mph, your revs should be around 2650

How are you obtaining your 60mph reading - from cable driven speedo at front wheel? GPS? Is front tire size smaller/larger than 'stock' diameter?

bnc
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

I take the oil temp right before the oil enters back in the engine on the full flow line. When it gets to 210 and above, I notice a performance drop. The engine looses torque when pulling long grades above 210*F in my buggy.

When I drag raced a 1915cc engine turning 10.15 in the quarter mile, my oil temps never got above 140* F, which is where the oil temp gauge starts reading. That engine was 14.3:1 compression and turned 8500 rpm on the launch and 8000 rpm shift points.

Without a thermostat controlled fan blown secondary oil cooler, I would not be able to travel interstate speeds for very long. A week ago, I left the NC OBX and ran about 180*F oil temp until the Raleigh Durham NC area when air temps climbed from 75 at Nags Head to 95. The oil then ran around 195. When I was climbing the Blue Ridge mountains and the West Virginia mountains, the oil temp rose to 210. As I entered the valley I live in, it dropped to 190. (It does decrease over several miles going down the otherside of the hill)

Just typical for my engine. Gauge is well within the 3% stated on temp accuracy. Engine is very tried and true with three trips across the North American continent and tomorrow on the way to work will flip over 49,000 miles on it. I run Brad Penn 30 wt. oil in it.

Just my two monitored experiences with VW oil temps. All others will vary I am sure.

BUT the OP already stated why his is running hot. He is missing the cooling tins under the cylinders. All other attempts to correct anything with coolers sufferers the basic cooling fact that the air is not being used like the VW designers figured out how to cool the engine with. Without fixing that basic problem, all the talk of oil temps is spent internet space, including my stuff above.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

Discussing engine temps in Dunebuggies also needs to include rear tire size and transaxle gearing in the conversation. It is normal to install larger and taller rear tires in Fiberglass Dunebuggies with the larger wheel opening body styles. The VW engine has an operating window around 3200-3800 RPM for the best cooling of the factory fan & shroud. Run lower RPM's and you can have increased cylinder head temps. Run higher RPM's and you can have increased oil temps. Generally speaking engine load effects head temps. Engine RPM effects oil temps. I see too many people that get caught up in the "Freeway Flier" transaxle craze and with taller rear tires end up overheating their engines thinking they can drive down the highway turning 2600 RPM's. You need to keep the engine in it's happy spot between 3200-3800 RPM's as the fan & shroud was designed to perform it's best cooling. One of my favorite suggestions is to get 2 sets of rear wheels. Smaller tires for city driving and stop light racing, then a taller set for long road trips and highway cruising.

A Dunebuggy with an exposed engine in an open body style should run cooler than a engine in a full bodied vehicle with an enclosed engine compartment. A VW engine with dual carbs should run slightly cooler head temps than a single carb engine. A VW engine with dual valve springs will run hotter oil temps than a engine with single springs.

VW sold tens of millions of vehicles with air cooled engines and none of them had an extra auxillary oil cooler installed. Back in the 70's I drove a stock VW over 100,000 miles and never had any overheating issues with completely stock engine. rebuilt it and drove another 75,000 miles.

What I do on the drag strip with my full race engines is not included in any conversation I have regarding a street driven VW. I have a street driven Dunebuggy (and Ghia) that is raced but I also have a drag race only Dunebuggy that never sees the streets.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

Got the temp indicator installed tonight and took it for a run on the highway. After 15 miles at 60 mph and 72* F ambient temperature the oil was at 175* F.
It seemed to be stabilized there but a longer run would no doubt show a somewhat higher temp as would a warmer day. (Interesting that my temp gun didn't show any more than 166* under the same conditions measuring the oil filter can!)

My sensor is a 100 ohm RTD down the dipstick hole, The ambient sensor is the same but mounted under the dash out of the sun. It will be interesting to see how speed, load, ambient temp and different oil weights effect the oil temp! I may even try different tire sizes as some suggest to see how it effects temps.

The base line here is a Manx copy, 1600 DP with Kadrons and extractor running rear tires about 1 1/2" shorter than stock, dog house cooler and all original tins. Oil presently is 10W30 and pressure at speed was 34 psi, 12 psi at idle after the run.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
VW sold tens of millions of vehicles with air cooled engines and none of them had an extra auxillary oil cooler installed.

The exception to that would be the pre '73 Buses. I doubt that any stock older bus at highway speeds didn't overheat!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

If/when an older bus overheated, it was because the driver required it to operate beyond its design limitation, which wasn't for 65-70mph on a US interstate. Heavy load, too high of revs.

50-55 is/was a good speed in a bus for managing oil temps and cooling. When I upgraded mine to a 1776, I added a doghouse , thermostat block and cooler with a fan. Even with those mods, 60-65 was about it before I would reach the point where the cooling system couldn't keep up.

Same motor (not just identical, but the SAME) is used now in my buggy with no external cooler and it works fine
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The base line here is a Manx copy, 1600 DP with Kadrons and extractor running rear tires about 1 1/2" shorter than stock, dog house cooler and all original tins. Oil presently is 10W30 and pressure at speed was 34 psi, 12 psi at idle after the run.

I believe that your rear tires are 1.75" Taller than stock size.

bnc
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
VW sold tens of millions of vehicles with air cooled engines and none of them had an extra auxillary oil cooler installed.

The exception to that would be the pre '73 Buses. I doubt that any stock older bus at highway speeds didn't overheat!

I completely disagree. Back in '90-'91 I owned a '70 Bus with the stock SP 1600. I drove it in it's happy spot at 58-60 MPH and never had a overheating problems. I stayed in the right lane and smiled at everybody that passed me. I wish I still had that Bus.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
oprn wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

I completely disagree. Back in '90-'91 I owned a '70 Bus with the stock SP 1600. I drove it in it's happy spot at 58-60 MPH and never had a overheating problems. I stayed in the right lane and smiled at everybody that passed me. I wish I still had that Bus.

We would have never known that Dad's '69 Bus was overheating either - until the bearings went at 38,000 miles. Then we installed an oil temp gauge and found it was running up to 400* F on the highway at 60mph! VW didn't give you any high temp indication so most people had no idea it was too hot. The engines just expired!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:

bnc

I am not too sure how you would know that.

P245/60R14
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:

bnc

I am not too sure how you would know that.

P245/60R14

I stand corrected. The OP has taller than stock rear tires.
The U.S. to Canadian conversion confused me.

B
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
... VW didn't give you any high temp indication so most people had no idea it was too hot ...

Back in those bad old days, I was told VW engine/oil temperature should be gauged the same way as an iron (the thing that used to be used to iron wrinkles out of clothes). That is, you wet your finger with spit, and momentarily touch the case area under where distributor is attach'd, as near to oil pump as you can get. If your spit sizzels, then it's overheated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
I stand corrected. The OP has taller than stock rear tires.
The U.S. to Canadian conversion confused me.

No problem, I was just standing an old 600/15 off my sister's Squareback beside it and eyeballing the difference.

So today the ambient temp was 91* F and the oil temp settled in at 202* F after about 3/4 of an hour on the highway.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Remote oil cooler mounting options Reply with quote

This morning the ambient temp was 58* F and after 15 miles at 65 mph the oil temp was 164* F and stable. That is with a trailer behind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: