Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safari Sealing and seal options
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of older posts but nothing recent. I got my Safari window kit from Ronnie at Bustoration, they're great, it was in 2013 ish. Since then I've never been able to get the seal to hug the corner right, these were not pre-molded seals so the corners were extra CHALLENGING.

I was using the yellow level 2 weather stripping goop, I think it's 3M brand. Should I try again and use another method, or is there an alternative to use? I've let it sit with clips and little ties to hold it flush but it always gives out.

I had an extra seal from one of my popout side window frames (the seal for the body pop out window, not the frame itself) It's too short, but throwing it on there for kicks, it's smaller, but fits so well.

My bus isn't stock so I am open to any ideas.

Thanks all. Stay safe!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

Any tippy tips? Smile
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

I’ve not got safaris in my split, but in the UK a lot of people swear by Buttys Bits seals.....and you can imagine the shocking weather we get! Might be worth asking if they have suppliers where you are.
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

https://www.buttysbits.com/product/bb-021-safari-seals-enough-seals-to-do-both-front-windows/
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

I run the CE seals which most people say are pretty good but they still leak. I think we really need a new type of seal made of two distinct sections with the outside section completely sealing the window edge.

This area would need to be much larger and wrap completely over the outside edge of the window frame like a static seal:

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
I run the CE seals which most people say are pretty good but they still leak. I think we really need a new type of seal made of two distinct sections with the outside section completely sealing the window edge.

This area would need to be much larger and wrap completely over the outside edge of the window frame like a static seal:

Thanks Troy I'll check out the UK company.

Yeah the area you highlighted in red, it's just not long enough to be able to hug that corner. Even on a hot day or warming up the rubber in hot water, then using the strongest adhesive possible, it would be a stressful stretch for it to hold.

Ah... well, I don't worry about leaks, I don't drive my bus in the rain, nor do we get a ton of rain. I just think it looks like poo.

I removed it all and cleaned off the adhesive, I'll probably give it another go... or just find something else and make it work.

I'll also check out CE seals. Im not familiar. Do you have a link?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

The CE seals can be purchased here:

https://creative-engineering.com/product/ce-safari-body-seal-pair/
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

there is a thread dedicated to safaris that has this information, but I liked the cheap wolfgang seals.

https://wolfgangint.com/store/product/safari-seal-body-to-frame-2847121a/
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
there is a thread dedicated to safaris that has this information, but I liked the cheap wolfgang seals.

Awesome. I shot them an email, hoping they have a photo of what theirs look like. I'll probably just order a pair and give it a shot , for that price.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Awesome. I shot them an email, hoping they have a photo of what theirs look like. I'll probably just order a pair and give it a shot , for that price.

It's kinda like pinch welt or windlace if that makes sense. you could probably try just that as well. When I lived in Sac a few of us used these with our izzy safaris with good luck. Since it's a low profile it makes for a decent seal to the point that on one bus the guy didnt even weld or screw in the latch tabs, it was a garage bus so he just flipped the latch against the window frame and the seal. Hope it works for you, at least they are cheap and dont wrinkle up in the corners
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

[quote="Erik G"][quote="electronictofu"]
Erik G wrote:

I was just looking at some "Pinch welt" and "Wind Lace" style stripping on Ebay, I didn't know the names of these seal shapes, some called it plain ol' "U Shape" I like the idea of trying something like that. My latch locks work without the tabs, I've never installed them, I may, I just never did because the windows lock, and I feel my spacing was never on point due to the seals feeling so floppy and off.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

this is essentially what the "butty's bits" seals are like

this is what the Wolfgang seals are like

both of which are available cheap on McMaster Carr

both fit the corners very well as the internal metal holds its shape.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

McMaster link:

https://www.mcmaster.com/bulb-seals

The CE seals are similar to the butty bits.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
McMaster link:

https://www.mcmaster.com/bulb-seals

The CE seals are similar to the butty bits.

Wow, you can really get lost in all these options, ha. Nice website though, Ive not heard of them until now. I wish they did by the foot, it's either 10 foot or 25 feet, I think two safaris are about six and a half feet a pop, making it around 13 feet for a set.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

One of the keys to no (or a lot less) leak is glueing in the seal to the body of the bus.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Safari Sealing and seal options Reply with quote

ezcamper wrote:
One of the keys to no (or a lot less) leak is glueing in the seal to the body of the bus.

Indeed! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: