Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Can you put a torch on those hinges and get them red hot then maybe the pin can be driven out?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

they make a tool for that.. you may be able to make something similar DIY
I'd still suggest heating the outer portion as best you can while in process.

here's a samba thread for beetle hinges
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=601952
amd some image search
https://www.google.com/search?q=door+hinge+pin+pre...mp;bih=568
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll torch it and see if I can figure out a tool.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

You likely know this but do not use a punch. It can expand the end of the pin. Use a flat faced drift instead just slightly smaller diameter than the pin.

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
You likely know this but do not use a punch. It can expand the end of the pin. Use a flat faced drift instead just slightly smaller diameter than the pin.

Yep, wrong term. Thanks Dave

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

R.E. the brake fluid leak, for years I had that same problem with my 1986 tintop. As far as I could tell, the grommets at the reservoir to master cylinder junction were shrinking in cold weather, like below 20 degrees, and allowing brake fluid to leak out on my floor mat. I tried grommets from every major Vanagon parts supplier, and a couple of generic parts houses, but was never able to resolve the problem. Even a new master cylinder, and later a replacement reservoir didn't solve this. None of the other vans I own do this. In all fairness, I didn't try Buslab's grommets, as they weren't promoting their mail order service at the time, and I didn't think of them.
So, a few years ago, I moved to a warmer area. Has yet to get below 25 degrees here, and then only for a few hours. Problem solved. Hasn't done it since. A rather involved solution, I agree, but one can't argue with success.
But the temperature causing the grommets to shrink seemed to be the problem. I think I even got grommets from VW in my efforts to stop this. I can't remember. But every cold night, I would throw some rags on the floormat to adsorb the brake fluid. Frustrating.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
R.E. the brake fluid leak, for years I had that same problem with my 1986 tintop. As far as I could tell, the grommets at the reservoir to master cylinder junction were shrinking in cold weather, like below 20 degrees, and allowing brake fluid to leak out on my floor mat. I tried grommets from every major Vanagon parts supplier, and a couple of generic parts houses, but was never able to resolve the problem. Even a new master cylinder, and later a replacement reservoir didn't solve this. None of the other vans I own do this. In all fairness, I didn't try Buslab's grommets, as they weren't promoting their mail order service at the time, and I didn't think of them.
So, a few years ago, I moved to a warmer area. Has yet to get below 25 degrees here, and then only for a few hours. Problem solved. Hasn't done it since. A rather involved solution, I agree, but one can't argue with success.
But the temperature causing the grommets to shrink seemed to be the problem. I think I even got grommets from VW in my efforts to stop this. I can't remember. But every cold night, I would throw some rags on the floormat to adsorb the brake fluid. Frustrating.

We got down in the single digits last night, so I'm sure I'll find some leaking this morning. I took your advice and put a few rags under the MC to avoid any more brake fluid dripping all the way down, thanks Tbob. I've had this van in bitter cold before and never had the problem until this year; we'll see what the new grommets do. They're supposed to arrive today, just in time for another brutal cold snap later this week.

My puny home depot plumber's torch didn't do much on the hinges. They are fused in there, like it's all a single chunk of metal. No sign of movement whatsoever. I was using the BIG hammer, too. There's no way to get penetrating fluid in there either, although I've been spraying around it every time I think about it.

Prediction: I'm going to keep working on it until I reach total frustration (another week probably) then throw in the towel and buy a steel skid plate from RMW and bolt it in. I don't like losing the storage space but there's always a possibility that I'll end up destroying this next clamshell just like I did the first one. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I found an old cajun injector in the kitchen. (For the uninitiated, it is used for plumping up fowl with liquid spices before deep-frying.) I used it to remove fluid from the reservoir.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It now belongs to the garage and will no longer be used for cooking, of course.

New grommets installed.

The old ones looked fine. I also inspected the reservoir itself and found no cracks or anything.

An unfortunate side effect, my lower steering column cover completely disintegrated in the area of the metal clip after several somewhat dodgy repairs.

Temporary fix because I hate not having that lower cover on.

He who is without zip tie sin may cast the first stone. I'm thinking of fashioning something with velcro, because I'm damn sure not paying $80 for the ones in the classifieds.

This morning it's a balmy 12 degrees out. I went out and checked the new grommets, and it still leaks. It appears I've joined Tbob in cold weather brake fluid purgatory.

I just don't understand how this year it decided to become a problem after three previous years of not being a problem.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Is this a situation where The Right Stuff could be used to seal the grommet when you install it?

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Is this a situation where The Right Stuff could be used to seal the grommet when you install it?

I imagine that would probably seal it up; it's not like those grommets are under a ton of pressure. I guess I've avoided the idea of adding a sealant "because it should work as is, damnit."

I'll probably wait for warmer weather, next Tuesday according to the weather gods, before I get into it again.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I have some Down Molykote that I use when installing rubber orings and grommets that apparently swells the rubber creating a better seal. Maybe that would keep the grommets in spec and sealed during temp swings.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
I have some Down Molykote that I use when installing rubber orings and grommets that apparently swells the rubber creating a better seal. Maybe that would keep the grommets in spec and sealed during temp swings.

Down Molykote...Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and it looks like there are several different kinds. Which do you use?

It's supposed to snow tomorrow so I decided to get back on those stuck pins this afternoon, this time with long, patient heat and repeated hammer blows. Success!

I'm actually happy I get to reuse this clamshell. I got it off of a tragically near-perfect Wolfram Grey w/black interior sunroof van at a U-pull-it yard in Aurora in 2006; I'd put carat alloys on Tatanka and needed the later model, extended front tab tire carrier. I later switched to the Van Cafe carrier when I got even bigger tires and rims, so this clamshell has been sitting behind my garbage cans for around ten years.

Small victories and reused parts. Hopefully this one doesn't meet the fate of the last one.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Are you going to store stuff in the clamshell or just keep it for a sacrificial skid? I keep bending the lower mounts on my Syncro clamshell...time for welded reinforcements!

Looks like I'm using the Dow MolyKote 55.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Are you going to store stuff in the clamshell or just keep it for a sacrificial skid? I keep bending the lower mounts on my Syncro clamshell...time for welded reinforcements!

Looks like I'm using the Dow MolyKote 55.

Thanks uber, I'll order some Molykote.

I'm going to use it for storage. I've been using a regular rectangular tupperware-looking box for a while, but would like to make something more substantial for storing seldom-used stuff. I really like this idea and happen to have an old tire that would work perfectly:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...waterproof

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

^^^^ I like that!

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
^^^^ I like that!

Me too! My only concern is that it would look like I'm intentionally hiding something. Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
dobryan wrote:
^^^^ I like that!

Me too! My only concern is that it would look like I'm intentionally hiding something. Very Happy

Paint the 'spare' light blue....

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

On the way to Southern Utah, it's a beautiful 7 degree morning in Copper Mountain

...where an idler pulley just disintegrated.

Extremely grateful that Sooner Dave is an hour behind me and picked up the part at Napa in Lakewood.

Chinese diesel heater is crankin' while I enjoy a granola bar and hot coffee and hope this all works out.

Never a dull moment.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Brrrr... I hate working on a vehicle in that kind of cold.

Glad you are traveling with a partner.

The Western Syncro build
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I'm 98% sure I was in that exact gas station when I thru-biked the CT. Thanks for the memory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 33

Jump to: