Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Now you have to resist making it all match with some expensive SewFine covers! Maybe match the piping to the tramp stamp?
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I've been using the Syncro as my daily driver for six months now, and outside of a bad fuel pump and a few other recent smaller mechanical things, it's doing pretty good. I still have some mystery noises and have a cracked boot on a front outer CV that needs attention, among other things.

Then there's this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know you've heard it before, but I swear it's not as bad as it looks. Or maybe I'm just acclimated to it. In any case, after taking direction from this fantastic thread (showing far worse rust intrusion than mine,)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I miraculously found a shop right near my house that has agreed to take on the job. Eddy, a Puerto Rican gentleman from New Jersey with 32 years of bodywork experience, is going to cut out the cancer, treat anything behind it with Ospho, and weld in replacement metal.

These panels tend to get a bad rap, but Eddy (my new best friend) says that he's only going to replace what is necessary because the metal around the cancerous area is good and solid.

I'm dropping it off this afternoon and will report back after I retrieve it in a few days. Unless it's terrible work of course, in which case I won't say anything. We'll see.

I still need to be deal with the seams, but probably the greatest thing about Bronze Beige Metallic is how it tends to hide such nastiness. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Sweet. That syncro is really coming along nicely. Great to see it last Saturday on my whirlwind tour...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
How do you break a shifter rod? I've certainly seen the damage here and elsewhere, but what on earth would make you use that much force on the shifter?

Non-maintenance.

The various sliding surfaces get gummed up, and the frictions are additive. You don't notice it's twice as hard to shift as last winter because it gets (incrementally) harder and harder to shift. Rather than lubricate the sliding joints you just pull a little harder. You are able to shift it, but a "civilian" would say "this is ridiculous". At some point you are overstressing the mild steel tubing at the threaded hole; and a fatigue crack starts.

The sad thing is it's pretty easy to lubricate those sliding joints with a spray can of dry-lube. I've been guilty.

Good luck on the cancer. I need to do mine someday but I don't have so much daylight showing. Current plan is to ARREST the rust now, and replace metal later.

Just returned from a 3500 mile, 18-day Syncro camping trip (Moab). The ONLY problem I had was the coolant tank level sensor wasn't working, was blinking my temperature light. There is light at the end of the tunnel that's not just a warning light. And Syncro camping in the Western US rules. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

That rust in front of the right rear wheel well looks just like what I have going on. I'm interested in hearing about how the bodywork goes. Are you having the seams cleaned and re-sealed? I suspect that a leaky seam is what caused that spot on my syncro to rust out from the inside.

EDIT: After re-reading, I see that the seams are on your list of TODOs.

~Tim
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

That rust in front of the rear wheel is also the area where the washer bottle leak goes or if the rear side window leaks it goes there too. I once had a Westy with 2 inches of water in that area inside. Luckily the original wax VW slathered in there was intact and no rust had started. YMMV.

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Eddie had the van for about 72 hours. After he'd cut out the rusty panel portions, he called to tell me that there was rust damage in a structural support behind of the rear driver's side jack point. He offered to repair it and treat it before closing it up (for a bit more money of course) and I felt a bit more confidence in my choice of body men. He's a good fella.

Here are a couple of pics. He only used portions of the panels I provided and did exactly what I asked--cut out the bad panel areas, treat behind, weld in new sections, and treat the outside. It's not Pebble Beach quality, but for my purposes it's perfect.

(the van's dirty but you get the point.)

The areas need to be smoothed out and painted; I'll get to that at some point. It's more of a mental victory than anything. I've been working on all aspects of the van, but in the back of my heads it's always been "yeah, but those f*cking rust holes..." So I'm happy about this fix.

I picked up one of my daughters from school the other day and said to her, "Do you hear that noise coming from the back? What do you think it is?"

"I think you could make a game show out of guessing the noises in this thing." Apt response.

It turns out, I have a bad outer CV on the back to complement the torn outer boot on the passenger front, so it looks like Saturday is Axle Day.

Yesterday, I moved the air cleaner housing out of the area behind the tail light and further into the engine bay, then wrapped it in left over hood liner and secured it. Having it kinda floating there and not resting on the body greatly improved the 3800 4100 RPM resonance. I also picked up the FAS exhaust hanger kit, hoping that it'll further isolate the exhaust. If I'm lucky I'll get to that this weekend as well.

I also fiddled with the AC a bit, and found that it actually works on the second fan speed, blowing hot, dusty air. Intrigued, I checked to see if the compressor would come on and found that while all of the hoses are connected, there is no electrical connection to the compressor. I cannot find the harness end anywhere in the engine bay. I also noticed that the ABA AC idle plug is disconnected and has no mate on the harness that I can find. I'm really starting to wonder why I'm keeping all of the plastic AC stuff in there.

So before leaving for Syncro Solstice in 19 days, I need to do CV's, exhaust hangers, remove faded purple-ish window tint, install new curtains, and make a mattress. And whatever else comes up. Piece of cake.

So we beat on, boats against the current...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I picked up one of my daughters from school the other day and said to her, "Do you hear that noise coming from the back? What do you think it is?"

"I think you could make a game show out of guessing the noises in this thing." Apt response.

I read that to my wife and she said, "I'm with that girl." Very Happy

Van looks good - I need Eddie myself.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I got home from work friday around 3, iced down a six pack of Titan IPA, and sat the cooler on the garage floor, ready for consumption following the installation of a rear axle.

This is an axle assembly that is old stock from a now-defunct American rebuilder. I can't remember the name of the company, but I used them for years with my Rabbits, Golfs, and Sciroccos and they were always top quality.

Proper motivation makes a job go quickly. The whole thing was prepped and R&R'd in under two and a half hours (fast for me) and I was enjoying a cold beer on the patio in no time. Sometimes it's impossible to get the CV bolts started in the control arm "cave," and sometimes you get it on the first shot. I like to think that the Titan was guiding me. Very Happy

Yesterday I repacked/replaced the boots on the right front (left front is new) and buttoned it up. It wasn't a bad job; the front end was apart when RMW replaced all of the bushings, so I didn't run into any bolt seizures or corrosion problems. The advice to disconnect the sway bar is golden. Happy to have all of that done.

Finished up in time to go have the best Paella I've ever tasted at some Spanish friends' house afterwards. The husband is a very inquisitive scientist and he had a million questions about Vanagons, Syncros, the community, the history...My favorite kind of dinner conversation.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I was lucky this weekend to have a busy family (with plans that generally didn't include me) and lovely weather to get a few things done on the Syncro.

-Oil change and oil cooler seal replacement

-Rotated tires

-Installed FAS exhaust hangers--what a nice bit of kit. It really helps isolate the exhaust and dramatically decreases vibration. On any other Vanagon it would be a very simple install--just bolt the hangers to the existing holes in the rear apron and hang--but for this one it was a two hour-long profanity fest. But, it ended well.

-Installed curtains I bought from a nice lady here on the Samba--very high quality repro's and in fantastic shape (all for a very agreeable price.)

-Made a mattress out of a cheap full-sized futon cover and a couple of sections of foam mattress topper

-Fixed a bad left rear marker light. The bulb holder was rusty and trashed but I was able to salvage it with a file, some solder, and a few new connectors.

-Fixed a PS hose leak and shortened the hoses a bit (I moved the reservoir to a new spot when I redid the engine cover and the PS hoses were way too long.)

-Fixed my broken glove box with some para cord left over from the curtain installation. On a side note, para cord is very, very useful.

-Drivers side window was rattling when rolled down; one of the foam bumper/guides was gone from inside the door. I cut a nice piece of left-over engine compartment carpet down to size,folded it over to desired thickness, and glued it in. Good as new.

-Noticed CV grease all over the starter and skid plate. I hesitantly looked more closely to find NOOOO! One of my brand-new (old old stock) CV boots had already ripped open. I'll take the axle off, repack, and replace with Rockford boots ordered from RMW this week. It's very frustrating, but that's what I get for using old rubber (kinda like George when he used Kramer's free condoms.)

-Added a couple of 12V receptacles for running the fridge and whatever else, tied into the aux panel under the driver's seat. I used HD double-sided tape to mount the receptacles so I can move or remove if I don't like the location. I certainly wasn't going to drill holes into the solid gold center console.

So, I've got an axle to repack and a few other little things to do, then I should be as ready as I'm gonna be for SS18.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Just read through this whole thread and had missed most of the updates... Great progress. Especially sorting the distributor issues and lowering the decklid. New floor looks 100x better. Getting rid of those rusty panels is a huge step forward. Keep that momentum going!

Looking forward to hanging out at solstice and seeing the van up close. Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Good work!

Can you give me a link to the lady with the curtains? I need some for the eurobus project.

(And I have your black framed window and center A/C section already packed in the rocket box ready to take out to you in Denver. The window will need to have the latch from your existing window transferred onto it. And the A/C section has a fair amount of cracked plastic where the screws mount it but the rest is pretty good. I'd like to trade you for your current cracked one. See you in Denver Monday or Tuesday next week, then on to Solstice....)

The Western Syncro build
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Keep that momentum going!

Looking forward to hanging out at solstice and seeing the van up close. Very Happy

Thanks for the encouragement Eric, can't wait for next week.

dobryan wrote:
Good work!

Can you give me a link to the lady with the curtains? I need some for the eurobus project.

(And I have your black framed window and center A/C section already packed in the rocket box ready to take out to you in Denver. The window will need to have the latch from your existing window transferred onto it. And the A/C section has a fair amount of cracked plastic where the screws mount it but the rest is pretty good. I'd like to trade you for your current cracked one. See you in Denver Monday or Tuesday next week, then on to Solstice....)

She actually sold me the ones she had in her Westy; I think she was making a new set or something. So I don't think she's a curtain seamstress, but I'll PM her contact info just in case.

Let me know when you get to town. Thanks!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I ordered two Rockford boots from RMW/Van Cafe on Sunday evening and had them in my hands yesterday afternoon. I'm getting redundant at this point, but I sure do appreciate their service!

Axle re-packed and reinstalled. Let's hope the boots last longer than 6 days this time. Very Happy

Now that the weather has turned nice and warm, a particularly irritating suspension noise has returned in the front driver's side area. It sounds like a goose honking or a hound dog howling or a donkey braying. Any bump or steering turn induces it.

I had my older daughter stand on the front bumper last night and push it up and down while I looked for the source. After a while, she said "can I PLEASE stop now? People just saw me doing this."

I think it might be the UCA bushings, eight month-old Powerflex. It doesn't seem to effect anything except my sanity.

EDIT: After a bit of Samba research, it could be the shocks. Old, old, old Old Man Emu's. Apparently they're capable of these types of noises after they've aged and seals have worn out.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I ordered two Rockford boots from RMW/Van Cafe on Sunday evening and had them in my hands yesterday afternoon. I'm getting redundant at this point, but I sure do appreciate their service!

Axle re-packed and reinstalled. Let's hope the boots last longer than 6 days this time. Very Happy

Now that the weather has turned nice and warm, a particularly irritating suspension noise has returned in the front driver's side area. It sounds like a goose honking or a hound dog howling or a donkey braying. Any bump or steering turn induces it.

I had my older daughter stand on the front bumper last night and push it up and down while I looked for the source. After a while, she said "can I PLEASE stop now? People just saw me doing this."

I think it might be the UCA bushings, eight month-old Powerflex. It doesn't seem to effect anything except my sanity.

EDIT: After a bit of Samba research, it could be the shocks. Old, old, old Old Man Emu's. Apparently they're capable of these types of noises after they've aged and seals have worn out.

Its easy enough to saturate the openings in the upper control arms with Fluid Film. If the noises don't abate, look elsewhere!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

WOW Joe, very impressive thread, I'm leagues behind you on my syncro, but I'm trying to play catch up. Thanks for sharing.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks Bman!

As far as the noises from the bushings discussed above, at Syncro Solstice I narrowed it down (with the help of Erste, DaveVickery and VeloAndy) to the UCA bushings. Then, miraculously, I took the Syncro out and crawled up a bunch of giant rocks and bounded through trails of deep red sand and all of the suspension noises went away.

However, I developed a rear diff issue (discussed here in a limited slip thread) and a growing oil leak on the way home from Moab, so the Syncro is taking a break for now.

In August, after summer tailgating, camping, and traveling in Tatanka, I'm planning on dropping the motor, transmission, and fuel tank from the Syncro and doing everything that needs to be done.

I'm looking forward to diving back in after I take a couple of months off. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Fall projects!

We made it through our summer trips and things are getting back to normal, although I lost my pup of fourteen years last Friday and can't believe how powerful the grieving is. He was a good boy.

At least I have a broken down Syncro to take my mind off of it.

The LSD is toast, which is unfortunate because otherwise, the transmission shifts perfectly and doesn't make any evil noises that I'm currently aware of. I didn't realize I'd been put-putting around town with front wheel drive until I pulled the driveshaft. Rolling Eyes It'll go off to Mr. GAS next week for a tear down to see what else is up. I'm sure I'll have to make expensive decisions about differentials and add-ons, but I've been preparing for this eventuality so let's get it done.

I must commend FAS for working with me over the past month to determine if their 50 degree engine carrier will work with my ABA. After many emails and photos back and forth, we've determined that it won't. The SC sits too high on the motor and the idle and/or throttle valve will likely hit the firewall and/or frame.

(That's the second worst thing that happened last Friday and really doesn't compare, of course.)

Those guys at FAS are fantastic, though. They were patient and accommodating and I can't thank them enough. And, they saved me from an expensive mistake.

I'm going to pull the motor and trans, drop the fuel tank, then when I reinstall I'll stay with the same carrier with different mounts. I'm going to experiment with some BMW E30 hydraulic mounts. They'll sit at an angle, which will created shearing according to Samba research, but they sit at an angle in E30's too. It won't hurt anything to try. I've read that the knock on these OEM mounts is that they only last 80-100k miles. I'd be happy with a fraction of that.

I'm going to stick with the ABA, but haven't made a decision on this particular motor. It was a 20k mile engine when the conversion was done in 1995, which according to records was 160k miles ago. It's rusty and leaky and I can get a replacement with good compression and low miles locally for under $500. That's not much more than a rebuild kit. I'll get it out of there then make a decision.

Assuming I make it through those items, I'd like to take care of the seam rust and Monstaliner the whole van. Before anybody says "it's too valuable," it's not. The paint is falling off in scales and it has a giant brush scratch down the side of it from Moab. I'd like to eventually plow through more brush and not worry about it.

No much else to report. I wanted to post something to give some substance to my plans, if that makes any sense.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Joe, Sorry for the loss of your little buddy. Sad

The Western Syncro build
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Joe, Sorry for the loss of your little buddy. Sad

Me too. Having unexpectedly lost two cats since November (a 12 year old and a kitten), I know all too well how deeply and quickly we get attached.

That aside, I appreciate your candor/venting about van frustrations. I'm punting mine to the mechanic to diagnose/fix a brake issue that I don't want to waste time with (summers are short here and I'm often on the road for work on top of that).

My wife expressed some disappointment about being without the van for a weekend or two and my response was, "if I let the van get to be a pain in my ass it won't be any fun to own anymore. So I'm quite happy to walk away from it for a while to avoid that".

Great work on your Syncro. What did you use to glue the hood liner on the engine cover?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 33

Jump to: