Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your dog. I have worn out three dogs over the last 35 years it always hurts when you lose one. I am on number 4. I would do a monsta liner paint job in a heartbeat. Before I painted the bottom of my van with monsta liner I did the bed of my Toyota truck and the bumpers and some other stuff on my wife’s Camry. The Camry was given to me because it was rusting out from getting driven over a embankment that scraped the undercoting off the bottom. I used a wire brush on a drill to ruff up the metal painted it with chassis saver and then monsta liner on top of that per the directions. That was five years ago. The rust has not reappeared. This job was done carefully and looks great and just like the day I did it. Occasionally someone will say to me that’s not right but much more often I get compliments on how the car looks. Certainly I would not monsta line my Mazda Miata but for a utility van or a adventure vehicle I definitely would. John
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's definitely been a rough weekend but we're getting through it. I can see my younger daughter waiting for the right moment to ask me for a Corgi. They're cool dogs I guess, but a Corgi?

SCM, I'm so sorry about your felines. The hood liner is adhesive-backed, but I added a few sprays of 3M medium spray adhesive to make sure it was secure.

John, I've been poring over pictures of Vanagons done in Monstaliner over the past few weeks. Then as luck would have it, I went to pick up one of the kids from school today and there was an air cooled Westy in the neighborhood done in bed liner of some sort, Sand/tan with black rockers, and it looked really good in person. I think you're right that the key is to do it carefully. One of my neighbors is a retired hobbyist car restorer (Bug convertible, MGTD) and he's intrigued by the idea so I'm excited to have his invaluable help.

I've dropped motors and transmissions using not much more than a floor jack and a block of wood in the past, but I think I'm getting more sensible. I stopped by Harbor Freight and grabbed a 1 ton hoist, on sale and with a coupon it was only about $130. It was easy to assemble and seems very robust. I'm going to start tearing it down the van tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Got to have it ready for SS next year! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

Have you considered a turbo? I was the other guy at SS who had the ABA with the turbo. Id assume you're already built to handle boost and at the very least the early ABA had forged internals and could handle 8-10 pounds of boost without mods.

I think if you were to find a manifold from a tdi and an early Ko3 from a 1.8T, you should be able to fit this under the decklid. I have a few ideas of how to fit this under the lid at 15 deg. or if you like the 50 deg. check out http://www.pioneerwagenwerks.com/, this set up is very cool and as smooth as silk!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Hey Joe,

Have you considered a turbo? I was the other guy at SS who had the ABA with the turbo. Id assume you're already built to handle boost and at the very least the early ABA had forged internals and could handle 8-10 pounds of boost without mods.

I think if you were to find a manifold from a tdi and an early Ko3 from a 1.8T, you should be able to fit this under the decklid. I have a few ideas of how to fit this under the lid at 15 deg. or if you like the 50 deg. check out http://www.pioneerwagenwerks.com/, this set up is very cool and as smooth as silk!

That carrier is slick...Very different looking than some of the others.

I've thought about a lot of different things. At one point I considered putting a WBX back in it! For the meantime I'm going to stick with this setup. I still have (blind) faith that I can get it refined. Loved seeing your setup at Solstice.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

That to-do-list is going to require a lot of Titan IPA.
I'm not sure how most people on this forum deal without a backup van. Wink
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
That to-do-list is going to require a lot of Titan IPA.
I'm not sure how most people on this forum deal without a backup van. Wink
-d

Ha! If I had realized how convenient it would be to have more than one, I would have bought a second a long time ago.

Everything's labeled and disconnected, all fluids removed. Exhaust, CV's, and mounts are all that's left. I'm going to try to remove the exhaust at the downpipe, but everything's so rusty there that I have a feeling the sawzall will make an appearance.

A full day of crappy preseason NFL on the garage TV and Syncro work!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

The motor and trans came out without much trouble. With a full Saturday of worthless NFL preseason on the idiot box and rain in the forecast, it was a perfect morning for Syncro work.

Once I got the CV's, mounts, downpipe/exhaust (very happy it came off clean!) and a few other small things disconnected, I noticed that I'd probably crush the SC if anything went wrong when turning the motor onto its side for extraction, so off it came. From there it was easy.

I did use just about every tool in my arsenal. Hoist, trans jack, floor jack, jackstands, bottle jack jackstand, furniture dolly...I'm glad I hoard this stuff.

I separated the trans and drained it.

Ugly magnetic plug.

Loaded up and ready for its extended spa vacation in Colorado Springs. I'm hoping it's rejuvenated and ready for 100,000 miles when I pick it up.

I took it down there today and talked to Greg a bit; I need to make a decision on what I want.

Open diff?
LSD?
Locker?
Peloquin?
Peloquin w/locker?

With the rarity of syncro locker panels, I think if I went with a locker I'd see about housing the controls in one of these.

Next up, gas tank R&R.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I'm curious why people don't use a push/pull morse cable on the locker when converting a non locker van. No problems with stuck pins, actuators, vacuum leaks, etc. Robust, and affordable. Just a thought.

I love how the package fits and looks with your super charger.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I'm curious why people don't use a push/pull morse cable on the locker when converting a non locker van. No problems with stuck pins, actuators, vacuum leaks, etc. Robust, and affordable. Just a thought.

I love how the package fits and looks with your super charger.

Thanks Steve. If I decide to do a locker then I'll have to figure out a mechanism. I'm not very concerned with keeping that stock.

Note to self: The next time I drain a gas tank, I should try to drive it a little more beforehand. But with no driveability, I was stuck with what I estimated to be five gallons of gas in the tank. Unfortunately, it turned out to be six, which created a few frantic moments of looking for another receptacle. I made a bit of a mess but cleaned it up good. I'm sitting at work today, after two rigorous showers, still smelling like gasoline.

Nearly empty engine bay. The firewalls look pretty good; just a few spots of rust here and there that I'll clean up after the tank comes out.

The insulation is downright nasty.

The straps are rusty, but still very solid. I wonder, after I get them out of there, if they'll be salvageable.

I've read through this article several times and am hoping to jump into removal this afternoon.

http://syncro.org/removing-the-syncro-gas-tank/

It's been a frustrating day at work so I might as well parlay into a frustrating evening...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I've got 197,000 miles on my syncro and the tank hasn't ever been removed. I'm not looking forward to that job.

Ditch that insulation. I've read european vans don't even have it. Put something thin and modern from dynamat up there. Last time I wrestled the starter + lug on fighting that sh!t insulation I cut a 3" x 3" square of it out to have access. I won't miss getting rid of it all.

That looks like Kroil you are spraying on the tank strap threads.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Remove the sending unit first, a couple of composite splitting wedges for fire wood are a nice addition to force it through the frame rail. A couple of pry tools that are soft, fiberglass shovel handles etc. Oh and patience! Good luck
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Here's how I dealt with those rusty threads.
As you know there's no access and if that nut jams on the long rusty thread yer fooked.

I made a special tool to turn the die in that confined space.
It's simple I made it using a hacksaw & a file.
The 12-point 9/16" socket pounds onto the 1/2" square tube.
You could also pound a 3/8" square extension into the 3/8 square hole.

I ran the die down once, then flipped the die over and ran it down to the nut again (like a bottoming die) to clean the threads all the way to the nut surface.
The nut spun off easily.

Here's the proper die m8x1.25 by Vermont American (also called 8mm x 1.25)
Link: http://a.co/6CQzObS

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

A dremel cutoff wheel can be your friend too.

The Western Syncro build
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

just cut them off and buy new V2A ones.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Thanks Steve. If I decide to do a locker then I'll have to figure out a mechanism. I'm not very concerned with keeping that stock.

Comments on this here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8861892#8861892

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the guidance. I got rained out yesterday but have a full afternoon/evening to attack it today.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

For cleaning threads the M8 nut type chaser in this kit can be used with a normal deep socket.
Maybe you can get just one M8 size at the hardware store.

https://bowerstool.com/jawco-m14-metric-rethreading-die-set-thread-restore-14pc-6-14mm-made-in-usa/

Another way to clear those long threads is to use a castellated nut screwed on upside-down (if you can find M8 ).

I re-used my tank straps and the threads work well. I tossed them in with a batch of parts to be zinc plated. Mine are pretty “rough” looking, have pinholes.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I had hoped to save the straps, but it just wasn't in the cards. Everything was too corroded. I ended up using my trusty bolt cutters instead.

The filler hose was a major hassle. It did not want to come out. Pretty kinky. I've read that this can be a source of fill-up issues.

Almost there...The mating right there between the van and Jetta harnesses is pretty sloppy. I have a plan for that.

Out!

Rusty sender. I soaked it in penetrant (acetone + ATF mix) and will continue to do so until my RMW order arrives.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the condition back here; I was expecting much worse. It's more solid than the pic would have you believe.

Dylan, thanks for the advice on prying implements. A long time ago on this forum, somebody said that a $10 white oak handle from Home Depot was a perfect hiking stick; it also works masterfully for getting leverage on a Syncro gas tank. (I also use this one for stirring a pot of crawfish.)

About two hours today to get the filler stuff and the tank out and start cleaning. That's a tasty beer. Smile

That's it for removing stuff. I'm excited to start in the other direction!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Glad to see you are rewarding yourself for a messy job... Cool

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 33

Jump to: