Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I ordered some spacers. I'm sure I could have made these myself with little effort but for $17 I figured I'd let SmallCar do the work. They're box steel and seem nice and strong.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...But what if I like my hacked up aluminum wheel spacers better? They're about a quarter inch flatter and there's so much more metal sandwiched there, it seems (without scientific proof obviously) more solid, with less stress on the bolts.

Any opinions either way?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I think in the end it might come down to how much spacing you need/want. The smallcar spacers look to be an inch (25mm) in the photo. Your aluminum spacers are 14mm.

The smallcar spacers look more fit-for-purpose.

If you lived in Nova Scotia you would have a minor concern about dis-similar metals and corroding away the spacers.

Bolt stress will not be an issue here.

RonC
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
I think in the end it might come down to how much spacing you need/want. The smallcar spacers look to be an inch (25mm) in the photo. Your aluminum spacers are 14mm.

The smallcar spacers look more fit-for-purpose.

If you lived in Nova Scotia you would have a minor concern about dis-similar metals and corroding away the spacers.

Bolt stress will not be an issue here.

RonC

Thanks Ron. 14mm is really all I need for this so I think I'll stick with the aluminum at least for now. Good to know about corrosion and bolt stress. Using 10.9's.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

All buttoned up, right side up, and level.

I went for a test spin and can't believe it's the same engine. Very smooth. At 4000-4500 I still get a little bit of vibe from the exhaust, which is hanging from the rear apron (FAS kit.) Otherwise I'm happy with it. Well worth losing 14 mm of clearance.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

That looks way cheaper than a ej25, joe, hope it keeps working.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Well worth losing 14 mm of clearance.

Hah you say that now. Wait until the next time you follow Tom Ice on a trail…

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
That looks way cheaper than a ej25, joe, hope it keeps working.

Thanks! So far, so good. I drove it quite a bit this weekend around town and on the highway and I'm very happy with it so far. It's so much quieter and less buzzy. I should have gone after this issue on day 1. (After mouse poop mitigation, of course.)

dobryan wrote:
joetiger wrote:
Well worth losing 14 mm of clearance.

Hah you say that now. Wait until the next time you follow Tom Ice on a trail…

This is true. I have nightmares about that distinctive sound of German metal scraping over slick rock. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

The new motor mounts appear to be doing their job, everything staying together and stable. So I decided to go after the bulkhead this weekend, a job that I've avoided for several years now.

I don't know how you carpentry-gifted folks do it. I cut, sanded, test-fitted, sanded, test-fitted, sanded about twenty times I think. I used the last scraps of hull liner that I had lying around to piece together a patchwork covering then I put a $20 locking RV door from Ebay in it.

Too bland.

That's more like it. (The fan wires are a temporary eyesore.)

I used 12" steel L-brackets (shelf brackets) to mount it; it's in there very firmly.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I love the sticker and stripes!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

That's so sweet. Good work.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks! I was tired of just having a bunch of stuff (window screens, thermal covers, hammocks, boots, extra fleece and jacket, warm socks, tarp, tent spikes, etc.) piled up in the front and visible. It's still piled up, but invisible. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Looks great with the stripe. Having that much lockable storage up there is awesome. Nice thinking
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

It has been a while since I've checked in on this thread. Nice work. I've always wondered if the steel engine covers did a better job of keeping sound down. I may test one on my van here soon. Keep it up !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Looks great with the stripe. Having that much lockable storage up there is awesome. Nice thinking

Thanks E. I think if somebody really wanted to get in there they wouldn't have too much trouble but it does create a hassle, at least.

outwesty wrote:
It has been a while since I've checked in on this thread. Nice work. I've always wondered if the steel engine covers did a better job of keeping sound down. I may test one on my van here soon. Keep it up !

Thanks! I do like the metal lid far better than plastic, but it is much heavier. I'd like to come up with a hinge solution and maybe a prop-up rod or hydraulic lift.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Welp, ain't nothing left to do but drive it. Leaving for New Orleans in an hour or so.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Welp, ain't nothing left to do but drive it. Leaving for New Orleans in an hour or so.

Good luck, may you have strong tailwinds, low road noise, flawless mechanicals, enthusiastic fans of your van, and continuous fun adventures all along your way...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Good luck, may you have strong tailwinds, low road noise, flawless mechanicals, enthusiastic fans of your van, and continuous fun adventures all along your way...

Thank you! Going to a reunion in N.O. I'm going to camp in Kisatchie National Forest tomorrow night on the way down if all goes according to plan. It's deep, dense, remote, and possibly haunted, a place I never would have considered venturing into when I lived in Louisiana. Also seeing lots of family and going to see my beleaguered LSU Tigers play football.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Around 3300 miles and not a single mechanical hiccup. Could it be that I might know what I'm doing? Frightening to consider.

Lots to unravel after a week on the road and I think this one deserves its own trip report when I get a few minutes.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Excellent times! Just don't start imagining worrying noises Wink
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Nice pic! I love to capture those reflection pictures as well. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 33

Jump to: