Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

My audi 1.8 big turbo ran 18psi boost side. Dont know what that translated on the intake side. Most everyone ran samco multiply reinforced silicon intake pipes and corrugated plastic flex pipe. Not plastic or metal. Stick with heavy wall silicon and it shouldnt collapse without an obstruction blocking flow. Boost side is another deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks RMCD, good to know. This SC was apparently only rated for 5-8 PSI when it was new.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

With the intake removed, I could see how nasty and degraded the wood and insulation was, and how much room I had to work with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had an idea of how I thought it might work (after staring at the engine bay for three months) and decided to make an intake with these pieces, some from the van, some junkyard-sourced from a MK3 Jetta and a Honda of some sort.

With the insulation out, you can really see the depth of the little house that was built for the intake to sit on the deck.

Here's what I came up with. The Jetta intake boot (sawed in two) was the perfect size to make the tight corner.

Here are the side pockets, ECU on the passenger's side and spare parts on the driver's side.

I decided to use the same design as the original, but about two inches shorter. I carefully pulled everything apart so I could get measurements and make templates.

Naked and filthy. Heavy cleaning and mouse poop mitigation, but happily not much rust at all.

Here you can see that the valve on the SC is the highest point. The fitting handing in midair in the foreground is the boost gauge tubing.

Construction waste.

I have never tried carpentry beyond a few simple home repairs, but owning a Vanagon, you never know what you'll need to learn. While this is a pretty simple project, but it took a lot of time and thought for a rank amateur like me.

Test-fitting

This cut concerned me, mainly because of my $30 jig saw.

I considered using the old piece since it was still intact, but it was pretty rotten.

I called my woodworker neighbor who provided his superior saw and guidance so I was able to make the cuts.

I added 1x6's to each end and sealed the interior walls with Dynamat hood liner and aluminum tape for any gaps.

The rest of the hood liner was used on the inside of the hatch.

I lined it all with subwoofer carpet from Amazon and installed hinges on the side compartment lids.

An observer said it looks like an engine in a roaster oven. While I can certainly see the similarity, it's all sealed up, fire-retardant, and clean.

I need to add a C-channel edge liner of some sort to the hatch lid. The lid on the driver's side compartment doesn't sit flush. I'll also add a Blazecut system here soon. So, some buttoning up required.

BUT, you can barely hear the engine at idle and engine noise in general is greatly reduced (although it still howls at 3800 RPM.)

It could have been another inch/inch and a half shorter, but I didn't want to cut into the engine hatch. The way the top lines up with the bed, I'm going to use one inch of memory foam on the engine area and a two inch section for over the bed, and it will be level for sleepin'.

More importantly, it's not an ammonia-soaked eyesore anymore.

Engine protection, interior work, and rust mitigation all lie ahead.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Great job! Looking good. Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

The rest of the hood liner was used on the inside of the hatch.

Nice work!
Good idea to get rid of all that moldy old wood, and great use of the hood liner on the underside of lid.
Personally I think many Vanagon fires are fed by the oil soaked foam on the bottom of engine lids (and then the lid itself burns). If you take a piece of that foam and put a flame to it you'll see how fast it'll burn.
I stripped all the foam off mine and replaced with flame resistant liner like yours.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I wish I hadn't thrown away all of the old foam stuff. I'd like to see how flammable it is.

I'm going to re-insulate the lid on my other van too, so I'll save some of that old lid foam post a video of the experiment.

I'm really surprised by how well the Dynamat foam quieted things down. I'd read a bunch of positive reviews from people using it to re-line the inside of dog house covers in RV's, so I hoped it would work well here. Also, I didn't realize how much exhaust and was leaking into the cabin before I resealed that whole area. No more engine smell inside the van, which is a plus for several reasons.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I've never really liked the Audi wheels; I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it comes down to wanting this van to look a bit more utilitarian (even with fabulous multi-tone paint, orange pinstripes, and tramp stamps.)

Last summer, I bought some 15" Mefros from a fellow Sambanista here in Denver and decided to put them on. After the usual month-long New Tires Vision Quest, I decided on Cooper Discoverer AT3's in 225/70/15. They're a bit smaller in circumference than the 215/70/16's they're replacing and a bit wider.

They're quieter and with more sidewall they wander a tiny bit, but overall I'm very happy with them so far. We'll see how they do in the snow and offroad. I really just wanted to try a tire I hadn't tried before. I've seen very few vans here that run them.

Most importantly, the wheels fit the van and the van fits the wheels. I wish that was the end of the today's tire shop experience...

The first rule of Vanagon ownership is never let a civilian drive your van.

I let the gentlemen at the tire shop drive mine this morning, and when I got in it to leave, the shifter ball was broken. I was furious, but maintained my composure (I think) with the shop manager until he said, "let me get it back in here and we'll get a look at it."

"GET A LOOK AT IT? ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME? YOU CAN"T EVEN DRIVE IT TEN FEET. YOU THINK YOU CAN FIX IT?"

He seemed to understand my frustration and gave me 50% off the installation as well as a promise that the shop will reimburse my parts invoice after I rebuild my shifter. Still pissed though.

I decided to blow off some steam by taking care of a few small items on a beautiful day in Denver. The rear heater core was leaking (of course) so I tackled that.

I found more mouse poop inside the housing. Aren't I done with mouse poop? Are we finally finished with it now? I started to wonder, are there still mice in here? And are they pooping? But honestly, there's nowhere for them to hide. I'm all over this van all the time.

The kick panel was a rotten mess. I got it as an add-on with the van, more because I wanted a template than that I was going to use it. (I ended up mounting it, rotten and gross, because without it the bench seat bounces up and down and makes a racket. With the kick panel back there, it stays quiet.) Time to get back to woodwork. I'm really enjoying learning how to saw stuff up, and I had a perfect piece of wood that maybe was supposed to become a shelf at some point.

I had a bunch of trunk carpet left over from the engine cover project, so I used it for this. Grey, Brown, Tan...I know it doesn't match. Unless I can find some grey, brown, and tan plaid to make curtains out of? (EDIT: I just googled "tan grey brown plaid" and that fabric is EVERYWHERE.) Here you can also see the $15 chinese Ebay seat cover I installed as well.

I was also able to replace the broken heater panel knobs with some good new/used ones and lube up the heater cables. Everything's working much, much better now. (Didn't get any pictures.)

All in all, a fun day of work; I'm hoping to get some more time in tomorrow.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joe, with 2 vanagons you might look to invest in a manual tire changer will work fine for full size sidewall tires.

then just take them in to be balanced.. sure some hassle and shuffling but no monkeys driving your van
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I wish that was the end of the today's tire shop experience...

Absolutely! My last problem with my van was when I got new tires. Idiot tire jockey couldn't find reverse and managed to snap off an ear on the shift fork.
This was after I carefully showed the first service guy how to shift, but a different monkey pulled the van out after tires were mounted.
The shop did give me credit for cost of a new shift rod, but still, major hassle. (and you can bet I did the repair work, not them!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Not unlike when the guy called me from Les Schwab to find out where the spare was (I wanted the best of the four I was replacing mounted there)…?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I dig the grey carpet. I will probably follow your lead and do the same on my panels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I dig the grey carpet. I will probably follow your lead and do the same on my panels.

Thanks, it was a lot of material for not much money. It stretches just enough and sticks really well with 3M 777 adhesive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NKHOSU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
joe, with 2 vanagons you might look to invest in a manual tire changer will work fine for full size sidewall tires.

then just take them in to be balanced.. sure some hassle and shuffling but no monkeys driving your van

Man I wish...Unfortunately I am out of space. I have my spot in the 2-car garage and my wife has her spot, and that's the law of the land. But I have three vehicles right now so I'm always trying to make the most of what I've got. I'd prefer to sell this place and move out to the country where I could have a barn and/or a gigantic garage, but that's not really on the table at this point.

It's always the shifter. I let a buddy drive my 2wd van home from his house one day and he caused the exact same damage (and then denied it like a rat.)

A former Samba member used to always say "shift with two fingers." I consider that gospel.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

So I have the classic ball-collapse shifter issue. No problem, we've all done this job many times, and a nice simple repair is a great way to start off the day.

I had ordered the full Dansk rebuild kit (which is on clearance for $30 from autohaus.az currently--worth buying a couple actually.) The parts had arrived Thursday.

I sat at the warm kitchen counter after breakfast and put the ball-and-socket together, greased everything up, and was ready to go.

Then I removed the shifter boot.

The shift rod had been broken before and re-welded, thereby trapping the return spring and related parts below the big gob of weld.

Project aborted until a new rod could be ordered.

I've run into problems everywhere with this van, and have maturely and methodically worked through each one. Broken bolts, rust, shoddy repairs, mouse shit, more mouse shit, and a multitude of injuries.

But one never knows what's going to break the camel's back.

I launched into a hissy fit of monstrous proportions, including (but not limited to) a string of profanity directed at the shift lever and the Syncro overall that rivaled some of the finest in my life. I don't know why this pissed me off so bad, but it was due. Things were thrown. Items hit the floor. I was like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation.

Deep breathing. I carefully slid the boot back down and reinstalled the shifter ball. I then went inside and ordered a shiny new shift rod from T3 Technique (as well as a few other goodies I've been eyeing) and got on with my Saturday, wisely choosing to take an overdue break from Syncro work for the weekend.

I ended the day with a quick trip to the local brewery, where I met up with a fellow Vanagonian to ponder over how one breaks a shifter rod, the rules of Curling, and why David Lee Roth-era Van Halen is among the best music ever produced.

Many thanks to Scott for having a couple of pints with me on a cold and unproductive Saturday.

How do you break a shifter rod? I've certainly seen the damage here and elsewhere, but what on earth would make you use that much force on the shifter? I guess it doesn't matter, and chances are I'll probably get payback from the universe and break the one on my 2wd van for making a fuss about it.

Onward.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Been there, be happy it had already broken and it did not break on you. I bought the same solid shifter from T3 Technique as you and feel it is money well spent. I have seen a lot of broken shifters and quite a few re welded shifters.
I think they get broken from people driving them with bad clutches or/and inexperienced drivers that think you have to speed shift like Mario Andretti at Lemans.
The next step now are the shifter ears and the bits at the transmission

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.

Last edited by 16CVs on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Joe, sorry to chuckle at your misfortune. I'll have a beer or whiskey with you at Syncro Solstice... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I always bring loose rims for vanagon tire changes and then install them myself afterward. It requires the 4 heavy duty jack stands I already have if I want the tires mounted on the current rims on the van. If I'm swapping rims it's even easier. Taking the loose rims eliminates a lot of the potential stupidity and keeps the tire changer at the tire shop where I would need to take the wheels/tires anyway for dynamic balancing. It can also sometimes make the experience less painful as I can drop off the rims/tires and then pick them up at my convenience rather than having to wait.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I always bring loose rims for vanagon tire changes and then install them myself afterward.

That's my usual M.O. but I got lazy on a Saturday morning and figured I'd let them install for me. Dumb decision.

16CV's wrote:
Been there, be happy it had already broken and it did not break on you. I bought the same solid shifter from T3 Technique as you and feel it is money well spent. I have seen a lot of broken shifters and quite a few re welded shifters.
I think they get broken from people driving them with bad clutches or/and inexperienced drivers that think you have to speed shift like Mario Andretti at Lemans.
The next step now are the shifter ears and the bits at the transmission

Stacy

Thanks Stacy, that's good to hear about the T3 shifter. Fortunately, everything from the tranny to the box was replaced right before I bought it.

dobryan wrote:
Joe, sorry to chuckle at your misfortune. I'll have a beer or whiskey with you at Syncro Solstice... Very Happy

Thanks Dave, chuckle away! I was looking for a reason to have a few drinks at Solstice... Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I received my shift rod from T3 Technique last week and stole some time to get it installed on Saturday. Very nice piece of kit!

Now it's on to prepping the 2wd for our spring break road trip. The Syncro goes to the background for awhile.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Back from our tour de New Mexico,a successful and fun trip that I'll document in another thread, I'm happily returning my attention to "the tractor." That's what my wife and kids are calling it this week.

Nothing substantial, but a refreshed living room.

Before:

After:

$20 in laminate, $20 in underlayment, a jumpseat and bracket obtained for a very fair price a while back, and some aluminum 90 degree pieces for the threshold. I'll throw this in the "who's got wood" thread as well.

I'm not sure how well tan, beige, fake oak, dark grey, and light grey match, but that's the least of my concerns at this point. It really brightens up the joint regardless.

And, of course, another small cache of mouse poop under the seat rails was remediated...

Oh--I finally found something that cleans the hell out of the plastic AC tubes and parts--Magic Eraser. Those sponges are, well, magic.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 33

Jump to: