Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Issue with emergency flasher
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Issue with emergency flasher Reply with quote

This is on my '74 standard i just got. The emergency flashers only work with the key on, after doing some reading here i found i need to have the red wire hooked to fuse #8 which is hot all the time. When i hook that wire up my radio comes on as do both the generator and oil light on the speedo. Just wondering what is going on with that. It is an aftermarket rsdio and the memory wire is hooked to fuse #8 as well but i don't think that would do it.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with emergency flasher Reply with quote

This simplified pic of the E-Flasher and turn signal systems should help you:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice above the E-Flasher switch on the right you have two different sources for 12v+. The #15 (green wire) is the ignition switched source that powers the turn signals. The #30 (red wire) source is the power for the E-Flashers. Since #30 power comes from a fuse that has constant 12v+ it works whether the ignition switch is ON or OFF.

From your initial description it sounds like you have the #30 terminal of the E-Flasher switch connected to the #15 fuse. This would only allow the E-Flashers to work WHILE the ignition switch is ON. Confirm which wire is connected to which fuse and which terminal on the E-Flasher switch. All the terminal #s and wire colors are listed in the diagram.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with emergency flasher Reply with quote

I haven't pulled the switch out to see what is what but there is a red wire connected to it and even with it connected to nothing on the fuse box the hazards will work with the key on. There is a small green and a small black wire hooked together that are on fuse #12. I tried connecting what i assume is the #30 wire to fuse #8 like it should be but that is when radio and speedo warning lights come on. Turning the hazard switch on those things then shut off.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Issue with emergency flasher Reply with quote

Sounds like your E-Flasher switch is wired incorrectly. You will need to get a look at which wire goes to which terminal. See if you can't get a camera in there to take a pic of the wires and the terminal #s.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Issue with emergency flasher Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
I haven't pulled the switch out to see what is what but there is a red wire connected to it and even with it connected to nothing on the fuse box the hazards will work with the key on.

When the E-Flasher switch is ON, the flasher relay is powered from the #30 terminal on the E-Flasher switch. If you have this wire disconnected and the flasher relay is STILL powered something is clearly wired wrong. Use the above diagram as a guild and confirmed your wiring.

rustfree1967bug wrote:
There is a small green and a small black wire hooked together that are on fuse #12. I tried connecting what i assume is the #30 wire to fuse #8 like it should be but that is when radio and speedo warning lights come on. Turning the hazard switch on those things then shut off.

The radio and speedo warning lamps are powered from fuse #12 of the fuse box. They should be powered as soon as the ignition switch is turned ON. If they are only powered when the E-Flasher switch is ON then you clearly have something wired wrong. Possibly the output from the E-Flasher switch (+) is connected back to the fuse box instead of running to the flasher relay?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: