Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shimmying
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlendaDea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Shimmying Reply with quote

Hi we are look at purchasing a 73 type 181 it has a strong shimmy at 50 miles per hour any ideas of what would cause this
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

Well, that's a hard question to answer...I think I'd see if I could get a professional opinion. It could be something as simple as the tires not being balanced properly or it could be a bad suspension part. The first suggestion is annoying, the second could kill ya...See what the owner says regarding the tire balance and if possible have a reputable shop check it out...doesn't have to be a VW shop...any will do. Good Luck! Smile
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

If you are accelerating and it starts to shimmy at around 45 to 50, and then you apply the brakes and the shimmy goes away it is more than likely the STEERING DAMPNER.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

Steering Dampener and Wheel Balance
Alignment
Wheel bearing slop

In that order, but I would do the first three right after you buy it.

if you can jack up the front end with the front wheels off the ground see if you can move them by grabbing the top and bottom and pull in and out to see if there is any play. Check the ball joints and see if they are tight (they usually don't move...ever..even when trying to get them to move)
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

Get the wheels balanced first. My Thing also has a wheel shimmy, but it happens at various speeds. I'm not surprised since none of my wheels have any wheel weights. Confused

The main problem getting the Thing's wheels balanced is you either need to take it to a shop that has an adapter for the wide five wheel, or buy one from a VW vender, like this guy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=1830990

I bought one of these because I doubted there was a tire shop in my small town that had an adapter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
Get the wheels balanced first. My Thing also has a wheel shimmy, but it happens at various speeds. I'm not surprised since none of my wheels have any wheel weights. Confused

The main problem getting the Thing's wheels balanced is you either need to take it to a shop that has an adapter for the wide five wheel, or buy one from a VW vender, like this guy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=1830990

I bought one of these because I doubted there was a tire shop in my small town that had an adapter.

I put BB's in my tires, balance problem solved
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

I've had 2 bent rims (old chrome wide 5 rims) do this around 45-to-50 mph.

But the steering damper is a known culprit too.

and for idj1002,
BB's?
Funny, somewhere I've heard of that.
Just curious, How many did you put in? a hole bag of em?

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:

and for idj1002,
BB's?

T

I put 3oz. in each tire. I used the common BB's for a BB gun, .177 caliber.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
doublecanister wrote:

and for idj1002,
BB's?

T

I put 3oz. in each tire. I used the common BB's for a BB gun, .177 caliber.

Thanks for the info idj1002 Cool

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shimmying Reply with quote

Usually it is wheel balancing or need new tires or ball joints for mine. Tires have a 4 digit manufactured date on the sidewall and should be relaced every so often anyways-go to a site like tirerack for more info.

There are things like dynabeads for balancing as mentioned above as well

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: