Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick Jack Users?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Exclamation Just a little update on the low rise lift. This weeks Canadian Tire flyer has the LRL unit on sale, as “ a special promotion “, meaning, as far as I can tell, unit the limited supply is sold out. The add mentions that no rain cheques are available. But a quick scan of Can Tire stores around the maritime $ ( here )
shows that more than half of the stores have at least one.

Although I like the medium rise lift quite a bit better, and fes, you mention getting yours for 2800 CDN including shipping, I want to mention for anyone who may be interested, that the low rise lift is on sale ( Canadian Tire ) for
1400 CDN $ ( 1065$ US ). Anyone who may like this price should likely get to their Canadian Tire right away ( no rain cheques ).

I’m only putting this here as it may be a good price.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Darren.

Seize the day...not the Engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

That Bus up in the air would worry me for windage. A strong gust would knock that over. Inside much safer, of course

If it were windy, it wouldn't have been up in the air. Also, there is (was) a giant blue spruce tree just out of frame to the right, and a giant maple tree to the left. Not much chance of a high wind gust hitting the bus.

Also, these are much more stable than you think. It may look precarious on the cunfuzer screen, but it isn't.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Just get yourself one of these...

Link

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

I dont think that will work as I recall most old vw owners already have a junk yard Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes Smile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

A good video showing the scissor lift in use. BTW, there are many other manufacturers of this style of lift. Probably less expensive than the Bed Pak.

Link

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

dang, that's why I like that one, roll it out of the garage onto the driveway and put in some work over the weekend, then roll it back and park the Impala over it

but I have a brick tile covered concrete driveway and it does have a slight downward slope Sad

don't ever buy a house with a brick driveway. it looks cool but PITA
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

That Bus up in the air would worry me for windage. A strong gust would knock that over. Inside much safer, of course

If it were windy, it wouldn't have been up in the air. Also, there is (was) a giant blue spruce tree just out of frame to the right, and a giant maple tree to the left. Not much chance of a high wind gust hitting the bus.

Also, these are much more stable than you think. It may look precarious on the cunfuzer screen, but it isn't.

I’d like to do the math on that. Can you give me the height to the mid belt line of the bus , and the width of the base? I’ll swag the tip over velocity

I’ll do a better job than Citibank’s; architect did.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I’d like to do the math on that. Can you give me the height to the mid belt line of the bus , and the width of the base? I’ll swag the tip over velocity

I’ll do a better job than Citibank’s; architect did.

Have not had that bus here in a decade. But the top of the lifting pads is @ 50". Also note, no engine or trans in the bus at the time, but I have had it up that high with many vehicles with a full drive train.

Here, my helper is lending a hand in fabricating a front trans mount for a tunnel trans into a crashbox bus.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Km going to approximate the side profile of a Bus as 3 sheets of 4x8 plywood or 100 sq ft

A 20 mph wind will exert a force of about 100 pounds force on that.

A 40 mph gust would be 400 pounds

That might suck. Need the exact dimensions to calculate the tipping moment
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Need the exact dimensions to calculate the tipping moment

Just had a flashback to green engineering paper, mechanical pencils, my scale, scientific calculator, and double-underlined answers! Laughing

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

For us , if you got the right answer, but didn’t put. A box around it, no points were given.

No wonder we thought putting Lino over hardwood was a good idea
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For us , if you got the right answer, but didn’t put. A box around it, no points were given.

And it probably had to be perfectly drawn or no points. Oh, they did enjoy their petty torments!

For the scissor jacks, I couldn't imagine using one in the wind, but it occurs to me that several parts of the country experience pretty windy conditions for days and weeks at a time. The broad side of a bus would act like a sail.

My Quick Jack BL-5000SLX just came yesterday. I'll be using it inside and hopefully without issue.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Km going to approximate the side profile of a Bus as 3 sheets of 4x8 plywood or 100 sq ft

What is the calculation for not having it at full height on windy/stormy days, and using common sense? Also, rarely using it outside of the shop?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Just had a flashback to green engineering paper, mechanical pencils, my scale, scientific calculator, and double-underlined answers! Laughing

What are these "scientific calculators" of which you speak? THIS is how you calculate:

A great improvement on my older calculator:
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Abscate wrote:

What are these "scientific calculators" of which you speak? THIS is how you calculate:

No. Those are Japan instruments and China instruments. I used Texas instruments.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

What is the calculation for not having it at full height on windy/stormy days, and using common sense? Also, rarely using it outside of the shop?

Common sense will win over all of these of course. I was just trying to get a handle on the stability relative to a typical wind speed. It was better than I thought , to be honest. Anyone using this in a 40 mph gust is just signing up for aDarwin award.
cantdrv55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

I love my Quickjack and have never had any issues with it, mechanically or safety wise (there can always be a first time but hopefully not!). Anyway, mine is the 7000# model which I bought for my SUV and pick up truck. I’ve only used it so far for my Boxster though and it fits under there perfectly. Too bad it’s too long for Otto, my bug. I guess I’ll have to old school it with jackstands. Tried and true.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Jack Users? Reply with quote

[quote="67 Florida Deluxe"]
KTPhil wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Abscate wrote:

HSILOP calculators were best in my day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: