Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

Our distributor broke a critical, tiny (green) wire near the rotor last week, totally disabling our 1984, 1.9L for a day near Aspen. We managed to re-solder it with the help of a passing heavy equipment mechanic, but it still barely ran and the very thought of moteling in Aspen while awaiting a distributor, Yikes! Shocked

In the end we found a wonderful mechanic at Aspen Total Automotive. The key on the distributor was also broken (odd!), and he worked a fix within an hour off the tow truck -- for $67.50 Labor. HIGHLY-RECOMMENDED.

So I ask:
1). Has anyone used or know anyone using a different distributor than stock?
2). Is Bosch still the safest bet?
3). Vendors for an entire distributor?
(I'd prefer all-new if possible -- unless you all think rebuilt has *extensive* longevity)
4). I've never heard of this, but the Flamethrower distributor looks good "on paper":
https://www.carid.com/pertronix/flame-thrower-vw-s...gJ2SPD_BwE

Also, anyone have experience or input regarding a higher-output coil?

THANKS in Advance!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

I've used Pertronix electronic ignition modules in a Lucas distributor on an MGB and they are pretty good, but consider what it replaced. I wasn't aware of the"stock-like" Pertronix distributors. Looks awesome. That's about the same price for a new Hall sender unit from BD. I too recently had a break in one of those Hall sensor wires at a splice up under the wire cover and it took a while to find it. Tiny wire but it stops you dead in your tracks.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

There are aftermarket distributors for a 1.9L Vanagon?

You can't get a new distributor. Well, Ken at Vanagain said he had three NOS left a few months ago, but who knows if he still has them. Otherwise, you have to have your distributor rebuilt. Ken can do it and Bus Depot also offers a service, as do the various part houses: NAPA, Rock Auto, etc. for less money, but who knows what the quality of those are.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
I've used Pertronix electronic ignition modules in a Lucas distributor on an MGB and they are pretty good, but consider what it replaced. I wasn't aware of the"stock-like" Pertronix distributors. Looks awesome. That's about the same price for a new Hall sender unit from BD. I too recently had a break in one of those Hall sensor wires at a splice up under the wire cover and it took a while to find it. Tiny wire but it stops you dead in your tracks.
Thanks!

I'm a bit familiar with the vagaries of Leyland electronics, having had warm beer with the sports car racing crowd. Wink

Glad you think the company is okay, and I do have a question... is the Hall sender a separate item, or does it appear to be included with this or a NOS unit?

Thanks Again!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
There are aftermarket distributors for a 1.9L Vanagon?

You can't get a new distributor. Well, Ken at Vanagain said he had three NOS left a few months ago, but who knows if he still has them. Otherwise, you have to have your distributor rebuilt. Ken can do it and Bus Depot also offers a service, as do the various part houses: NAPA, Rock Auto, etc. for less money, but who knows what the quality of those are.
I was also shocked when Google pulled this distributor up.

A NAPA we went to carried one from Echlin, a rebuilt I suspect (didn't ask in deference to buying from a bus supplier). You mentioned my Plan B in Ken... Very Happy

Thank You!

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

Shameless bump hoping for more input.

I'm leaning towards buying the all-new Flametronix distributor, and having my factory unit rebuilt as a back up.

Does it appear to come with a Hall sender?
https://www.carid.com/pertronix/flame-thrower-vw-s...gJ2SPD_BwE

I am also still curious if there's benefits to a higher-output coil. Semi-related or maybe not, once my alternator output went from 13.6 to 14.5 volts, the van ran much better and mpg gained at least 10%.

Is more spark is helpful? Or potentially too hot for the chambers. (?)

Thanks!

— Colin Chapman
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

The Hall effects sensor activates the ignition module and is an integral part of the distributor "system" so I'm am certain it would be included.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

please keep us posted Arrow I'm looking to upgrade , 2.1 L wasserbox, joker running with a single factory solex carb Idea think it would be a good combo , use to run that with a blue '' hot'' coil , on a 69 ghai , always ran great.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock or Aftermarket Distributors & Coils -- Experiences? Reply with quote

Has anyone had their factory distributor rebuilt?

I could price around and still may, but if anyone knows the cost and success of this, and from whom, I'm all ears.

Thanks Again.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: