Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Hey gang, does anyone have experience with these? Available from both CIP1 and Go Westy.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D251%2D422%2D061
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=24641

Darned expensive but my Maval rebuilt just kakked (again) and I don't want to keep putting seals in it. I think the seal land on the driver's side is pooched.

Is this new rack from Denmark or from China?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide for or against.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

Don't know anything about those...but I hear Jorgen is the place for rebuilt ones.

http://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/volkswagen.html
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

Thanks! No price list...
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

I'm going to jump in here because I'm also in the market for a "quality PS rack" for my 85 Westy. The previous owner had the current one replaced with a rebuilt one (?) less than 2 years ago, and it's leaking horribly. I can't even drive it because I don't want to risk burning up the pump.

So please, share your knowledge and experience here! What's the best and worse resources if you are in the market for a "quality PS rack"?

Thanks for all your time and help!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

gratefulbuses wrote:
I'm going to jump in here because I'm also in the market for a "quality PS rack" for my 85 Westy. The previous owner had the current one replaced with a rebuilt one (?) less than 2 years ago, and it's leaking horribly. I can't even drive it because I don't want to risk burning up the pump.

remove the belt from the steering pump for the time being.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
remove the belt from the steering pump for the time being.

Wish I could! I have a Tiico conversion and that belt also drives the water pump.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

A shorter belt maybe? You could keep it as backup once you get the rack sorted.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

Quote:

That would be great, but I can't find the "safe size belt" for doing that. Too tight and it will potentially ruin the WP bearing, too loose and slipping can cause overheating.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

I bought one from Van-cafe, couldn't be happier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought one from Van-cafe, couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the input! I checked into them and they sell Maval rebuilt units for $315, but are OUT OF STOCK at this time.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

wouldn't the safe belt size be from one w/o Power steering..
say a 1984 1.9l w/o PS.

iirc the waterpump pulley is the same size?

gratefulbuses wrote:
Quote:

That would be great, but I can't find the "safe size belt" for doing that. Too tight and it will potentially ruin the WP bearing, too loose and slipping can cause overheating.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
say a 1984 1.9l w/o PS.

gratefulbuses wrote:
Quote:

He has a Tico conversion.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and Go Westy Reply with quote

scottz wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
say a 1984 1.9l w/o PS.

gratefulbuses wrote:
Quote:

He has a Tico conversion.

Correct, the WP pulley doesn't line up with any other (A/C or Alt) pulley.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

So, after doing some research yesterday, I decided to go with the rebuilt Maval from Rocky Mountain Westy, $319, $35 for shipping, core deposit, and a 12 month, 12k warranty.

Here are the other resources that I looked into,
Busdepot, Vancafe, GoWesty, JorgenAuto, Cip1, and FAPs.

The Maval rebuilt units cost a little more, but they appeared to have pretty good reviews, and I wanted to support one of the VW retailers.

Now on to researching how to remove and install my new PS rack! Anybody have any information, links, tips, videos, etc.?

Thanks!
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Two thumbs up for Jorgens. Fast shipping and it works perfectly
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

I got a Maval rebuilt rack through Vancouver Transmission and installed it on Sunday. Nice to have my baby back!

No debris in the filter.
www.thebassspa.com
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Viva.Sabata wrote:
Two thumbs up for Jorgens. Fast shipping and it works perfectly

I used their online quote form and didn't get a response. I would likely have gone with Van Cafe but they were out of stock.
www.thebassspa.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Hey gang, does anyone have experience with these? Available from both CIP1 and Go Westy.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D251%2D422%2D061
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=24641

Is this new rack from Denmark or from China?
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide for or against.

Nobody has any info WRT this "NEW" rack at GoWesty?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

I have one installed. My previous rack (possibly ZF brand) started leaking after 12-14 years. I asked my old mechanic (they no longer work on Vanagons) for advice on what replacement brand to get, and he insisted on warrantying my leaking rack since he put it in. Amazing service! So the only choices were Maval or the new JP/Dansk. I strongly considered a Jorgen rebuild, but the shipping and core return sounded like a pain, so we went with the new JP/Dansk. Maval was out of stock and I had heard of too many failures.

So I got the rack last December, and had Mark "Rubbachicken" Vanagon God of the greater San Diego area install it. It was a beautiful shiny new beast. We got new Moog tie rods (new one does not include them), Alika's silicone boots, Whiteline rack bushings, rebuilt PS pump (EJ22), and a Magnefine PS return filter. Everything has worked great so far, but it has only been about 5K miles/8 months. No leaks, noise, or odd behavior. We flushed the lines out as best we could prior to installation.

I can snap some pics in the morning, but I seem to recall seeing a "made in Denmark" sticker on it. I could be wrong though. I'll crawl around tomorrow and see if I can find anything....

I will be interested to see how these last long-term, otherwise I would not hesitate to get a rebuild for Jorgen, who seems to be a very solid option. My quote in a December was $262 plus $47 shipping, which also included the core return shipping.

Hopefully my experience can help in the decision process some way.

Cheers,

Adam
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: *New* Power steering rack as sold by CIP1 and GoWesty Reply with quote

I too have just had one of the GW New racks put in my Tintop. Not sure of where it was manufactured but can look also.

One of the things I found strange was that you had to take off the fitting for the line from the old rack and put on the new.
The high pressure lines fitting had thread damage, the new hose I had made up would not screw onto it.
I have a new fitting from parker hose on order and I'll post what the part# is once I get it. In the mean time I ordered a 16mm
1.5 pitch Die from Amazon and cleaned up the threads and so far so good.
New rack is working great!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: