Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6V flywheel on 12V 1500
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

Hello all! I am slowly reading all the pages under the split bus. I have 500 pages to go. I have researched a lot of topics involving updating 6V to 12V and still haven't come up with a good answer. I installed a 6 volt FW on to a 12Volt 1500. It looks to me like it would hold a O ring where the FW meets the crank shaft. How do I determine if I use a O ring or a metal seal or a paper gasket. What determines what I need to use. There was talk of a step up crank. Would someone have a pic? This is going into a 62 split and I dont look forward to any leaks. Thank you all for being here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

AFAIK if the crank is a o-ring crank it takes an o-ring flywheel and that can be either 6 or 12V.

In either case, an o-ring flywheel does not use either the paper or the metal gasket/spacer. only the non-o-ring cranks/flywheels use it.

I think all the 1500 cranks would be o-ring crank/flywheels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

Thank you Nancy. I mis-spoke about having it already installed; we are about to install but needed to know about the O ring. This is for a friend of mine who recently bought the split from Rich Meyer. First time converting from 6v to 12 Volt. My friend is attempting to join this forum as we speak. Glad you are always on these forums. John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hydro50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

Step
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

O-ring
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a step but went out and bought the o-ring style because I could be more certain it would work. Seems to be mostly speculation as to how to seal the step style.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

johnnyniceguy wrote:
First time converting from 6v to 12 Volt.

6V works pretty darn well if the grounds are good. I'd recommend keeping it that way unless there is a super compelling reason to switch it.

Lots of little components to swap out if you do go to 12v
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
AFAIK if the crank is a o-ring crank it takes an o-ring flywheel and that can be either 6 or 12V.

In either case, an o-ring flywheel does not use either the paper or the metal gasket/spacer. only the non-o-ring cranks/flywheels use it.

I think all the 1500 cranks would be o-ring crank/flywheels.

The original 1500 engine in my August, 64' Westy has a non o-ring flywheel with stepped crank. It also has no cam bearings. I think it was just the early 1500's that were this way.

nlorntson wrote:
johnnyniceguy wrote:
First time converting from 6v to 12 Volt.

6V works pretty darn well if the grounds are good. I'd recommend keeping it that way unless there is a super compelling reason to switch it.

Lots of little components to swap out if you do go to 12v

X2! My 6 volt bus lights are just as bright as my 12 volt bus. Good grounds a must.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

from another thread:
Clara wrote:
CoastalAirCooledVW wrote:
mandraks wrote:
sounds silly, but you can count the teeth and measure the diameter of the clutch.

Laughing I was under the impression that 6v flywheels were either 180mm (common) or 200mm (uncommon). Are there further teeth breakdowns? The only 6v flywheel that I have been able source around here is from a 40 horse. I havent gone and measured it but I have been told that it would use a different clutch than my current 6v flywheel. Im about ready to just buy a crank start and call it a day

FWs came either 6V or 12V for # of teeth.

They also came large or small clutch

Then where it meets the crank shaft, with o-ring groove, or stepped.

Theoretically there could be any combo, but generally you see
6V / small/ stepped,
and
12V /large/ 0- ring

6V 1500 buses did come with 6V large clutch FWs. These are less common, and desirable for people who want to keep their bus 6V while running a 1500 or larger motor.
You can also get a 12V fw re-ringed

I do have a couple odd flywheels, such as IIRC a 12V small clutch stepped FW, rare and not very desirable.

Also, I recently had a 12V starter from Vatozone, the teeth on it meshed with 6V and 12V FWs. pretty cool. Very Happy

also, IIRC, early 1500s had stepped cranks, but I don't assume that any bus has 100% original engine. Better to check if the crank in your engine is stepped or not before deciding what FW to install on it. I always have to double check the seals also.

pic of your crank where it meets the FW?

There is more info on converting to 12V in the bug forums I am sure. If you need more reading material
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! Lots to ponder. Have a 12V 1500 on the shelf that has been rebuilt. Just figured it was easier to convert bus to 12Volt. Now with all this information; All I would need is a 6 volt coil and generator to convert 1500 to 6volt correct? John

By the way; the 62 arrived without a power plant. Just figured we'd use what we had.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

johnnyniceguy wrote:
Thanks everybody! Lots to ponder. Have a 12V 1500 on the shelf that has been rebuilt. Just figured it was easier to convert bus to 12Volt. Now with all this information; All I would need is a 6 volt coil and generator to convert 1500 to 6volt correct? John

By the way; the 62 arrived without a power plant. Just figured we'd use what we had.

It's the coil, choke, and generator that determine voltage so swap those three things and you can be anything you want!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

Shocked people put just about anything together- so- you might check your crank and be sure it is not stepped as that can be a problem- also an O ring flywheel can be turned to fit a stepped flywheel- There is a difference between stepped flywheels involving which gasket to use (Ya I was surprised by that one too) seems one has a subtle "dish" in the mating surface to the crank . Have to ask the experts here which is which.

The "holy grail" of 6vt is the 200mm o ringed one.

Let us know how it all works out. Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 6V flywheel on 12V 1500 Reply with quote

A good machine shop can put a 6v or 12v ring gear onto any flywheel. You can get new ring gears.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: