Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Sweating' fuel lines
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: 'Sweating' fuel lines Reply with quote

I took my 1973 Thing to a local shop to sort out some electrical issues I have had with my rear tail lights as well as BN-4 heater. They were able to determine within an hour the issues that I tried to sort out for about three months when time permitted. When the vehicle was in the shop they noticed that the fuel filter needed to be replaced, as well as the cloth German fuel lines. I had the shop replace the items.

Last week I took the vehicle out to run some errands, and noticed a gas odor after I returned home. I lifted the rear deck, and determined that the issue was with the fuel lines that were replaced from the hard gas line into the engine compartment to the fuel pump, and then to the carburetor. The cloth covered fuel lines were damp with gasoline. The outside air temperature was probably in the mid 90 F. The driving was local, at best, no more than 50 MPH.

In my 40 years of owning air cooled Volkswagens I have never experienced this issue before. I inspected the replacement fuel lines, they are cloth covered over rubber, however, they are not as 'heavy' as German fuel lines that I have used in the past.

Needless to say, I am not driving my vehicle until I get this issue resolved. I do have a stash of VW 'stuff' that I have acquired over the past 40 years, and have some German marked cloth / rubber fuel line, however, it is probably 15 years old, if not older, from when I had Type 1 / Beetle's.

All of the gasoline that is available where I am is 10 percent ethanol.

I am considering replacing the cloth covered fuel lines with braided stainless steel, aviation grade fuel lines with fuel injection clamps.

Has anyone else encountered this issue ? If so, how was it solved ?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 'Sweating' fuel lines Reply with quote

I just use modern rubber fuel hose, no issues.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Sweating' fuel lines Reply with quote

Go to your local Oreillys and get some Gates 1/4 Barricade hose (27313). It is compatible with todays fuel lines. You do not need the high pressure fuel injection hose. Make sure you have good clamps as well. The cloth covered hose is no very good IMO.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/gates-barricade...13/4349937
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Sweating' fuel lines Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Go to your local Oreillys and get some Gates 1/4 Barricade hose (27313). It is compatible with todays fuel lines. You do not need the high pressure fuel injection hose. Make sure you have good clamps as well. The cloth covered hose is no very good IMO.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/gates-barricade...13/4349937

Agreed, Gates Barricade is the way to go. I use it for both fuel lines and vent lines.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Sweating' fuel lines Reply with quote

Your carb inlet, fuel pump inlet and outlet and fuel tank pickup tube are all metric. Stick with metric fuel line- 5mm. IIRC. As an added bonus- your stock VW line clamps fit your new fuel line already.

Good cloth line is good. Bad cloth line- especially SAE measured cloth line is bad.

Keep any fuel with Ethanol away from your fuel system.

Just my opinions.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: