Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrownCoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: 3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose? Reply with quote

The vert project that I bought has a lot of bare metal welds. I have a can of 3M Weld-Thru Coating (its not the same as weld through primer to my knowledge) but I've been hearing a lot about Cold Galvanizing compound. Cold galv is a lot cheaper.

Which do you like and what are the pro's and cons in your opinion? I still have to finish a lot of the stitches and spots that the PO started but it's starting to get some surface rust due to all of the humidity around here so I need to protect what's there while I finish the rest.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose? Reply with quote

I have done one task with weld thru primer and I would only use it on the inside of panel with no access after it's welded up.

I tried to do small stitches to hold a panel on and the arc struggled to burn through the stuff and it displaced the shielding gas. On a long seam I will try it but that is it.

I have heard that some people just use spray on zinc with decent results and you have to remember with either to have LOTS of ventilation and at least one fan removing the burned off product. High temp paint works to some degree.
BrownCoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. From what I've read this 3M Weld-Thru Coating is different than weldthrough primer. This stuff is mostly zinc. I have a great, well ventilated area so there's no chance of exposure to the gasses.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose? Reply with quote

I'm using one that has some copper as well as zinc, gold in color, i think it works a lot better.
Remember it is only for seams and overlaps, but since that is where rust usually starts, i think good idea. just sand off the excess.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose? Reply with quote

I'll be in a 'welding phase' in the next couple of months so I can do a few tests with it unless someone beats me to it.

I read where you could coat both sides of the seam ,arc through the stuff and it would encapsulate the weld bead with no issues.

I was doing a small project that was a lap joint so I decided to try the stuff out. Basically it worked like I was welding contaminated metal where the arc sputtered ,there was no penetration and the weld bead built up,also known as Edit: hammered dog crap welding. I removed the stuff from the surface and the residue under the seam still made the pool resemble a low voltage condition on dirty metal Very Happy There is no way in hell you could do a series of spot welds with it and have it work out decent. Maybe if the arc struggled just until the primer burned off and it worked fine after that. When I get welding again I'll post my results with some pics.Maybe I had it on too thick or it was not dry enough. Confused
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 3M Weld-Thru coating II vs Cold Galvaizing? What do you choose? Reply with quote

3M weld through,not galv process imo

www.themetalsurgeon.com

1953 PreA 356 Porsche concours quality for sale.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

www.themetalsurgeon.com .....know whats under your paint.....

....its not where you're from,its where you're at ....
Quote. Ian Brown(Stone Roses)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: